PDA

View Full Version : Intel Q9550 processor

jag1
1st of October 2008 (Wed), 09:57
Has any of you built a box with this quad? I am looking at it and maybe the Asus P5Q deluxe. Any ideas on this please chime in thanks. Also mem and case you used. I'm thinking a 600W ps and a 4850 Vid card.

jgrussell
1st of October 2008 (Wed), 10:28
Has any of you built a box with this quad? I am looking at it and maybe the Asus P5Q deluxe. Any ideas on this please chime in thanks. Also mem and case you used. I'm thinking a 600W ps and a 4850 Vid card.I had one built for me with that chip and it's terrific. I'm running it on an Intel board with 4Gb RAM (expandable to 8 if I ever switch from Win XP Pro to Vista) in an Antec Sonata III silent case (and it truly is silent). 500w PS, NVidia GeForce 8500 card, 3HD (500, 500, 320) and so far it's been fabulous.

jag1
1st of October 2008 (Wed), 10:36
Good to hear. another question how about ram it seems to be sold in pairs at 2 gigs each. what if you want 8 gig. Are these matched? Corsare once told me that you could not mix matched mem.

Motley
1st of October 2008 (Wed), 11:41
There's plenty of 2x4GB matched sets out there.

GSkill here ya go excellent memory for your setup

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231182

jag1
1st of October 2008 (Wed), 13:09
Thanks

BottomBracket
1st of October 2008 (Wed), 19:12
Q9550 is an excellent CPU though a bit pricey. The Q6600 is around $140 cheaper and is an excellent performer. That Asus P5Q deluxe is an excellent board too and it sits at the higher price range for P45 boards. If you would like to save around $50, you can choose the Asus P5Q Pro which a great buy as well. You can go the other way and spend $20+ more and get an X48 board - the advantage of the X48 boards over the P45 boards is that both PCI-e lanes operated at 16x when used together in Crossfire mode (when you use 2 video cards for more graphic performance), while the P45 boards only operate at 8x each. Of course if you use only one video card both boards will operate the used PCI-e slot at 16x. The bottom line is, you get more performance out of X48 boards, essential if you play games with high GPU demands, but quite overkill for Photoshop use.

AS far as memory goes, most of these boards have 4 slots for RAM. If you want 8GB of RAM, you can save by getting 4 sticks of 2GB each instead of 2 sticks of 4GB each. I have seen 2 x 2 GB sets made by G.Skill and OCZ go for around $50 to $60 after rebate, and that will save you a lot of money. Of course if you plan to go 8GB you will have to get a 64 bit OS.

As far as cases go, I am partial to big airy cases. The Antec Nine Hundred and the CoolerMaster 690 are my favorites.

600w PSU's are ok, but be sure to get a reliable brand such as Antec, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, etc. A modular PSU is nice to have - this type lets you use only the cables that you need, with the unused cables you can detach. You can reduce the clutter in your case this way.

The 4850 video cards are really amazing for the money. I would get a Visiontek for the lifetime warranty and excellent customer support.

jag1
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 06:20
BottomBracket,
Thanks for the info. I have still not made up my mind. I think that Intel will be coming out with a new platform some time soon. At that time I think the Quad prices may decline. That is just a guess.

OdiN1701
8th of October 2008 (Wed), 15:14
I have a Q6600 and it's great and nice and fast.

Of course I'm running it at 3GHz too.

jdizzle
9th of October 2008 (Thu), 00:25
I've read that any of the intel quad chips will do the job for any multi-threaded apps. I've wanted to pick up a 9770 for my new rig but, than I read that Intel will release an 8 core chip at the end of this year. From the results I've read, it looks like Intel has done it again.

equetefue
9th of October 2008 (Thu), 01:16
wait a month and get 9650 instead. Easy 4.0ghz on air and price will drop like a rock.

Trust me

jdizzle
9th of October 2008 (Thu), 02:36
wait a month and get 9650 instead. Easy 4.0ghz on air and price will drop like a rock.

Trust me
I would like to but, I've held back because the new Nehalem chip is much faster than the Penryn chips. I'm basically future proofing since I don't want to upgrade for a long while. I'm still running a 1st Gen Dual core from AMD (FX-60) and it's doing fine except when I run those RAW and Tiff files from my 1Ds MK III. So, I'm being a bit patient for the time being. :)