PDA

View Full Version : Another Arizona POTN get together (2)?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Ursie
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 12:11
Sorry for the multiple posts here,but I just found this in my PS info for anyone who's interested.

Adding digital copyright information
You can add copyright information to Photoshop images and notify users that an image is copyright protected via a digital watermark that uses Digimarc ImageBridge technology. The watermark—a digital code added as noise to the image—is virtually imperceptible to the human eye. The Digimarc watermark is durable in both digital and printed forms, surviving typical image edits and file format conversions.

Embedding a digital watermark in an image lets viewers obtain information about the creator of the image. This feature is particularly valuable to image creators who license their work to others. Copying an image with an embedded watermark also copies the watermark and any information associated with it.

For more detailed information on embedding Digimarc digital watermarks, refer to the Digimarc website at www.digimarc.com.

Kristy
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 12:12
So I just checked out the watermark tutorial. Really, is it only a brush? I thought there was some kind of embedding technique. I know there's a watermark function in PS but I hadn't figured out how to use it.

Yep.... It's a brush.. I put mine on a separate layer, emboss, and reduce the fill amount so that it looks a little bit softer...

You can create a batch action for doing several of them at once.. but I haven't been able to make mine work properly.... So I just created the brush and uploaded it to SmugMug and added it to my custom watermarks on there.. It works. ;)

Ursie
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 12:17
Anyone using the actual embedded watermark and have any thoughts on it?

Ruckus99ss
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 14:01
I know Tempe camera does and Photomart should. Not sure about Ritz I try to stay far away from them, not sure why but I do. :)

Oh and I have no idea about what they say about "Big Ears"

I just went up to photomart and picked up a tripod (promaster 1n tripod with Giottos mh 1000-652 ball head) and the canon rs-80n3 remote switch

lilminijpc
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 14:50
What's a 'beamer'?

it's called a "better beamer", an attaches to a flash so it can magnify the flash when its attached to a tele lens.
http://www.synvis.com/FlashXtender.htm

Ursie
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 15:25
it's called a "better beamer", an attaches to a flash so it can magnify the flash when its attached to a tele lens.
http://www.synvis.com/FlashXtender.htm\

that sounds pretty tricksy. thx for the explanation. I can't believe how much I learn hanging out around here.

JmprSteve
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 16:22
Anyone using the actual embedded watermark and have any thoughts on it?
I haven't used it, from what I've read on the website this method adds a watermark that the eye cannot see (or isn't in your face).

I just make a watermark brush and add it on a separate layer in a place that if someone tried to
crop it out it would be obvious. That way there is no reason for someone borrowing your images from your website/album. It doesn't stop them, but it's better than having someone else displaying your work as theirs.

Neither way prevents people from "borrowing" your images.

Kristy
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 16:44
Cutie Patooty..... I baby sit her 2 days a week... I just LOVED her hair-do today... so I couldn't resist snapping a few shots before her nap....

ANd yeah... I know I need to make a 2009 watermark brush... Thanks Brian... :P
http://ksnyderphoto.smugmug.com/photos/462342044_fdzvd-XL.jpg

Ursie
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 17:14
Cutie Patooty..... I baby sit her 2 days a week... I just LOVED her hair-do today... so I couldn't resist snapping a few shots before her nap....

Cutie Patooty.....you ain't kiddin!

Guerry Dalrymple
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 17:25
Nice pics posted above. Reminded me I gotta buy a flash, you guys using Canon Flashes or is there a cheaper just as good one to buy

I have a Sigma EF-500 DG Super. It works pretty much the same as a Canon with the ETTL and settings. Trouble is I haven't learned how to use it right. It was about a $100 cheeper when I got it from CanogaCamera.com.

Ruckus99ss
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 18:07
I have a Sigma EF-500 DG Super. It works pretty much the same as a Canon with the ETTL and settings. Trouble is I haven't learned how to use it right. It was about a $100 cheeper when I got it from CanogaCamera.com.

yea i'm just looking for a flash to use at nighttime when i'm at the track

FlyingPhotog
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 18:09

Which track?

BrianAZ
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 18:19
Very cute, Kristy. (The pics, I mean).

Anyone know about using lightroom to create a flash gallery? I've done it before, but now it doesn't seem to work. I've checked the online tutorials, and I'm doing right.

I can see the folder with the index.html file on my web server. If I copy the folder down to my local machine, I can run the index.html file and see the flash gallery. However, if I use my browser to parse the url on my website: website/gallery/index.html, it won't work.

Any help?

Hatch1921
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 18:19

I used a Norman 400b while shooting dirt track...

It throws a ton of light out.... 50-400ws and with the large reflector... it will light up a huge area.

LINK (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/419519-REG/Norman_810903_400_W_S_Battery_Assembly.html)

Very nice shot Kristy. :)

Press release:
Adobe has released Photoshop Lightroom 2.3 and Photoshop Camera Raw 5.3 Release Candidates, both available immediately for download from Adobe Labs at http://labs.adobe.com (http://labs.adobe.com/). The ‘release candidate’ label indicates that this update is well tested but would benefit from additional community testing before it is distributed automatically to all customers.

The Lightroom and Camera Raw teams would like the community to help verify the quality of this update through normal usage as this will ensure that the application is tested on a wide variety of hardware and software configurations not available internally at Adobe.

Both release candidates provide additional raw file support for the Nikon D3X and Olympus E-30 cameras. In addition,the Lightroom 2.3 Release Candidate provides a solution to a memory leak that affected some customers of the Lightroom 2.2 release.

Hatch1921
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 18:22
Very cute, Kristy. (The pics, I mean).

Anyone know about using lightroom to create a flash gallery? I've done it before, but now it doesn't seem to work. I've checked the online tutorials, and I'm doing right.

I can see the folder with the index.html file on my web server. If I copy the folder down to my local machine, I can run the index.html file and see the flash gallery. However, if I use my browser to parse the url on my website: website/gallery/index.html, it won't work.

Any help?

http://www.lightroomgalleries.com/index.php

Has tutorials... and templates...

I didn't have any issues.... LR created the gallery... I uploaded to the server.... works...

Hmmmm

BrianAZ
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 18:29
Thanks, Hatch.

Got the problem figured out. My hosting provider is having problems. :(

Hatch1921
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 18:31
Thanks, Hatch.

Got the problem figured out. My hosting provider is having problems. :(

Well... if anything... you might have some new templates to try? LOL

BrianAZ
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 18:52
I really like the default Flash template. It works pretty well. There is one other I'd use, but that is about it.

The family from our park photoshoot needed an online gallery for all the out of staters to decide what they want to order. I really hate proofing by the web, but in this case I didn't have a choice.

Hatch1921
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 18:54
I really like the default Flash template. It works pretty well. There is one other I'd use, but that is about it.

The family from our park photoshoot needed an online gallery for all the out of staters to decide what they want to order. I really hate proofing by the web, but in this case I didn't have a choice.

Have you sent the link to them?

For $10 you can host with Collages... and use the cart system... just a thought. :)

BrianAZ
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 18:56
Already sent the link.

For $30, they can have a 10 day online gallery from me. To order, they get to call me and the upsell is 100% free!

BrianAZ
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 19:14
Anyone interested in doing some photography at Monument Valley? I want to try some sunset shots out there.

Sorry Kristy and Hatch. I know it's not on the West Side, but it is a place I'd love to shoot.

macroshooter1970
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 19:18
Anyone interested in doing some photography at Monument Valley? I want to try some sunset shots out there.

Sorry Kristy and Hatch. I know it's not on the West Side, but it is a place I'd love to shoot.

heck ya, drove by there last year. didn't get a chance to shoot, becuse i was with people who think it boring to take pictures. been driving me crazy to get back there.

BrianAZ
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 19:23
Ooooo. We can stay late and do some star trails over the monuments! Perfect place to get that sihouette I want! Hatch said he would pose for me. ;)

macroshooter1970
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 19:26
when are you planning this trip?

BrianAZ
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 19:28
Hadn't even started looking at dates. Wanted to get the groups input first.

Hatch1921
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 19:32
Hadn't even started looking at dates. Wanted to get the groups input first.

:) My next stars adventure will be NW... Paradise Lake and beyond.... :)

jbdavies
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 19:32

I would love that. I don't think I've ever been there... maybe... not sure. But yeah, I'd love to do that. :)

macroshooter1970
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 19:36
well i have a weeks vacation in april if that helps any :)

jbdavies
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 19:37
well i have a weeks vacation in april if that helps any :)
OH OH OH!!! How bout... Monument Valley... and Havassupi all in one week?! :D lol

Or just Monument. lol

BrianAZ
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 20:53

Come on Frank. Can't you imagine doing a model shoot at Monument Valley with the Ranger? How cool would that be!

Get a tent, or rent an RV. It will be well worth it.

FlyingPhotog
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 20:59
If you're headed up to MV, be sure to leave some time to stop at Lower Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend near Page...

Jimbow1098
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 21:36
I just went up to photomart and picked up a tripod (promaster 1n tripod with Giottos mh 1000-652 ball head) and the canon rs-80n3 remote switch

Good deal did they treat you right?

Jimbow1098
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 21:45

I have a couple of tents and we could get Jeremy to climb the "Monuments" Depending on the dates I'm game if it's on a weekend.

Jimbow1098
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 21:50
Canyon De Chelly is a cool place.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/canyon_de_chelly/national_monument.html

Tents... Motorhome... Lets just rent a Helicopter

Me and my son went to the north rim and Zion Canyon this past summer, great time

macroshooter1970
26th of January 2009 (Mon), 23:25

where is that, can't say i ever heard of it?

Kristy
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 00:30

Poor baby Brian... can't drive more than 40-minutes from home to shoot scenery... You are missing out buddy... ;)

I down with that! LOL....

Come on Frank. Can't you imagine doing a model shoot at Monument Valley with the Ranger? How cool would that be!

Get a tent, or rent an RV. It will be well worth it.

Don't dangle a carrot in front of the horse's face... geez Brian....

On another note... camping... That could work.. I'd bring my entire family to hold down the site.. since they are dying to camp.... It could be a fun weekend.. Everyone bring your family.. and they can choose to go shooting, or stay back and find a place for fishing.... lol.... AZ POTN Famiy Bonding Campin/Shootout Weekend....

You'll be there on Thursday silly...... ;)

disneydork06
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 00:45

I down with that! LOL....

sounds good. but where's paradise lake?

Hatch1921
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 00:46

I think I was was 1/2 out of it when I replied... Lake Pleasant :)

Kristy
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 00:46
I think he means Lake Pleasant.... lol...

Hatch1921
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 00:47

Yes... I did.... I took an old man right after my post LOL ... much better now. ;)

disneydork06
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 00:48
OOh, that works too. even closer :-) I think...haven't been there since mid to late 90s..i think

BrianAZ
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 00:49
ummmmmmm.......... Ouch?

Someone needs to feed Jay some Red Bulls or something and get him back into the proverbial ring with Kristy. I think he is the only one who can hold his own against her.

On another note, here is another one I intentionally shot this way. I'm kinda digging it. I wanted to emphasise his small size as fragility and innocence.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3510/3230071845_b546fca52c_o.jpg

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 00:51
Is your canvas thingy ripped? :(

Looks good Brian... as always... you jerk. ;) :lol:

Kristy
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 00:53
ummmmmmm.......... Ouch?

Someone needs to feed Jay some Red Bulls or something and get him back into the proverbial ring with Kristy. I think he is the only one who can hold his own against her.

On another note, here is another one I intentionally shot this way. I'm kinda digging it. I wanted to emphasise his small size as fragility and innocence.

Hey.... I was teasing you.... don't cry on us now... geez.

So I like the perspective.... but I want to see his feet.... got one like that? Just to show?

OOh, that works too. even closer :-) I think...haven't been there since mid to late 90s..i think

It's Sagurao Heaven... if you want to shoot cactus... It's a shoe in.. :)

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 00:55
ummmmmmm.......... Ouch?

You can tag me in anytime "Bruther..." <Bad Hulk Hogan accent...>

Interesting...

Actually, the first thing that came to mind when I saw this one is "Dang, that kid's a long way from the background..."

Got one keeping his feet in the frame as well? Hindsight being 20/20 and all that, perhaps this would be an instance where shooting from adult height down to child height would give an "alone against the world" vibe.

Just throwing it out there 'cause I like it when folks throw it back at me...

@ Hatch: I'd love to spend a day out at Lake Pleasant. Just an FYI, after Feb 5, you won't have me to kick around for a while as that's when I head to Daytona. I'll only haunt all of you via the Interwebs... ;)

BTW, if anyone has any suggestions on how best to get my 300 down there with me, I'd love to hear them. I might try making room for it + misc electronics in a Computrekker Plus and everything else (2 bodies, 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, flash and laptop) in a Computrekker. Tripod and Monopod in suitcases with clothes.

Kristy
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 00:57
Got one keeping his feet in the frame as well?

Great Minds.......

BrianAZ
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 00:59
Nope, no shot with his feet. The session was getting a bit long in the tooth, and I was just composing this quickly before he moved. Actually, all their fine art stuff this session didn't show any feet. I normally don't shoot feet in fine art portraits, unless there is something special about their feet, like babies or dancers. I did shoot about 5 frames of each boy in their casual poses that showed feet.

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 00:59
Great Minds.......
What about them? :p

BrianAZ
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:00
Is your canvas thingy ripped? :(

Looks good Brian... as always... you jerk. ;) :lol:

Nope, the muslin is just wrinkled.

Thanks for the feedback.

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:00
I guess it's "Pig Pile on Brian" night here at POTN... :lol:

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:01
Nope, the muslin is just wrinkled.

Thanks for the feedback.
Ooooooooooh...

That's what that stuff is called. Huh.

Still looks good. :)

BrianAZ
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:03
Hey.... I was teasing you.... don't cry on us now... geez.

I'm an artist. I'm sensitive. .......(sniff):~(

Puhleeeze.

:D

Kristy
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:04
What about them? :p

You jest....? ** (Great Minds Think alike....) **

I guess it's "Pig Pile on Brian" night here at POTN... :lol:

**violin plays softly in the background...**

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:08
I can see where Jeremy missed the connection... :p ;)

Kristy
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:09

*:p

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:09

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/jbdavies/713dc009.gif

BrianAZ
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:10

He's not the only one. I think everyone else here didn't correlate the two of you with that phrase. :)

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:12
He's not the only one. I think everyone else here didn't correlate the two of you with that phrase. :)

ROFL...

Oh, um, wait a minute... I may be getting the short shrift here. :confused:

Kristy
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:28

ROFL...

Oh, um, wait a minute... I may be getting the short shrift here. :confused:

Move on Boys... Move on.....

No one got where I was going with that... you always miss it... I understand... It's a gender difference problem.... I don't BLAME you for it.. I know you can't help it.... You were simply born that way...

*and she laughs an evil laugh... and runs to hide before they all start throwing things at her...**

JmprSteve
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:29
BTW, if anyone has any suggestions on how best to get my 300 down there with me, I'd love to hear them. I might try making room for it + misc electronics in a Computrekker Plus and everything else (2 bodies, 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, flash and laptop) in a Computrekker. Tripod and Monopod in suitcases with clothes.

Jay, Not a problem I'm heading to Florida soon.. will be driving (yea! that's right) I can fit ALL your gear into my car --- No problem!!! And IF I HAPPEN TO CHANGE MY MIND ABOUT THE TRIP well don't worry I'll take good care of your gear and make sure it gets taken out and exercised regularly. :) :) --- Just kidding about the trip!

Here's an image from the workshop by Don Giannatti from this weekend.
It was a really good workshop, spent Saturday mostly in the studio some outside, Sunday was 99% outside using speedlights. I can honestly say that now I have a better understanding on the use of the speedlights (at least I think I do and that's the most important thing).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3406/3230050909_ded676c25a_o.jpg

BrianAZ
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:34
Nice shot, Steve!

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:35
Jay, Not a problem I'm heading to Florida soon.. will be driving (yea! that's right) I can fit ALL your gear into my car --- No problem!!! And IF I HAPPEN TO CHANGE MY MIND ABOUT THE TRIP well don't worry I'll take good care of your gear and make sure it gets taken out and exercised regularly.

See!!? That's what I love about this group. The willingness to help is just overwhelming! Why, with friends like this, who needs friends? :p

I appreciate the offer Steve. If I ever need a "lens walker" you're first on my list! :lol:

It was a really good workshop, spent Saturday mostly in the studio some outside, Sunday was 99% outside using speedlights. I can honestly say that now I have a better understanding on the use of the speedlights (at least I think I do and that's the most important thing).

Exquisite lighting and exposure. Can we bribe you with lunch sometime to have you playback some of what you learned?

Kristy
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:36
Beautiful light on that image Steve... Love to hear more about how the class went, etc... :) Glad you walked away with something useful. Bet you got a ton of great portfolio work to share. : ) YAY!!

disneydork06
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:46
It's Sagurao Heaven... if you want to shoot cactus... It's a shoe in.. :)
I remember being nearby and seeing cows when me and friends from hs were camping out there...:-)

JmprSteve
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:47
Thanks for all the comments. I was more interested in the Sunday portion of the workshop (but I learned - or re-learned) some studio lighting on Saturday. Sunday was speedlites on manual, pocket wizards, outside in the afternoon sun, and working in groups while Don went from group to group to give that little extra kick to the image. I didn't think I took many images (a bit more than 400) but the hard part is picking the best of the best!

Jay, I can always be bribed! (let me look over your gear list again!)

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 01:50
I remember being nearby and seeing cows when me and friends from hs were camping out there...:-)

There are also wind Burros out there. Then again maybe you just had one too many and thought they were cows. :)

Steve great job!!!

disneydork06
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 02:00
Jay, Not a problem I'm heading to Florida soon.. will be driving (yea! that's right) I can fit ALL your gear into my car --- No problem!!! And IF I HAPPEN TO CHANGE MY MIND ABOUT THE TRIP well don't worry I'll take good care of your gear and make sure it gets taken out and exercised regularly. :) :) --- Just kidding about the trip!

nice shot. glad someone can teach us all about the speedlights now :-) oh and the girl looks familiar. think I've seen some shots of her on flickr for senior portraits
There are also wind Burros out there. Then again maybe you just had one too many and thought they were cows. :)

haha...too bad I didn't drink in hs :-)

JmprSteve
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 02:00

Steve great job!!!

Thanks!

I think you meant WILD Burros ... but may be the burros are eating something that's making them WINDY!

Ruckus99ss
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 02:18
Which track?

speedworld

Ruckus99ss
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 02:19
Good deal did they treat you right?

yea they did. They were very helpful

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 02:23
yea they did. They were very helpful

Glad to hear the were helpful.

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 02:25
Thanks!

I think you meant WILD Burros ... but may be the burros are eating something that's making them WINDY!

Yes wild ... For the record my fingers don't always go where my mind wants them too.

FYI Staples has Sandisk 4g II CF cards for 19.99 and the 8g for 34.99

macroshooter1970
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 03:05

wow.........loook at that wonderful sight. nice photo steve

macroshooter1970
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 03:07
glad you guys got it all figured out. I've been here at work driving myself crazy trying to figure out where that lake was at. all the time it was Lake Pleasant, my co-workers thought i was nuts.

disneydork06
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 03:09
wow.........loook at that wonderful sight. nice photo stevehaha, it is quite wonderful :-D

the photography is quite amazing

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 04:56
The result of a quiet night in Photoshop:
(Please Shred This At Will...)

http://www.pbase.com/image/108595535/original.jpg

I know the Garmin "font" is pretty jagged but I wanted a look mirroring an electronic display. Maybe I need the "scoreboard number" style of font instead. The one were a Zero is an Eight without the bar across the middle...

macroshooter1970
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 05:04
The result of a quiet night in Photoshop:
(Please Shred This At Will...)

I know the Garmin "font" is pretty jagged but I wanted a look mirroring an electronic display. Maybe I need the "scoreboard number" style of font instead. The one were a Zero is an Eight without the bar across the middle...

like the photo a lot, just not sure about the font.

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 06:12
like the photo a lot, just not sure about the font.

How about with the more military looking Stencil font?
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/108596368/original.jpg

macroshooter1970
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 07:10

i like that one better :) how do you feel about it?

azpix
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 07:28

my vote is for stencil.

Kristy
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 09:55
LIke the image... hate the font... it takes away from the image..

Rather it should compliment... let me search a font for you today when I have free time... (did I say that...?? Free time" LOL... HA!)

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 10:07
I like the second one best Jay. :) What plane is that?

Ruckus99ss
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 10:30
I like the second one best Jay. :) What plane is that?

i could be wrong its hard to tell with the darkness of the jet, but i'm willing to bet its an f-4 phantom II from the displays on luke

disneydork06
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 10:46
Jay, for some reason that jet makes me think of the snl short of the ambiguously gay duo...looks like their plane...and the second looks like a target thanks to the rings you have there...what about the disney font? (j/k!)

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 11:29
Ok... Third Version I appreciate the feedback. And yes, it's an F4 Phantom II

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/108603985/original.jpg

AZGerry
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 11:41
Hi Jay,

I like the third version best. In this one, the photo is more about the aircraft, not the lettering. This lettering blends with the color and the background best of the three. my 2 cents...

Gerry

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 11:41
Hi Jay,

I like the third version best. In this one, the photo is more about the aircraft, not the lettering. This lettering blends into the color and the background best of the three. my 2 cents...

Gerry

Thanks Gerry...

Appreciate your taking the time.

Guerry Dalrymple
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 11:46
OK Jay I like the 2nd one the best if you got rid of the bullseye. Otherwise 3 is my choice. I like the doark image as it gives a real threatning feel. Looking forward to seeing what sweet Kristy comes up with. She does such feel good photos and tagging. It will be fun to see a different side of her skills.

Guerry

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 11:51
OK Jay I like the 2nd one the best if you got rid of the bullseye. Otherwise 3 is my choice. I like the doark image as it gives a real threatning feel. Looking forward to seeing what sweet Kristy comes up with. She does such feel good photos and tagging. It will be fun to see a different side of her skills.

Guerry

Duly noted, thanks...

FWIW, I was trying to create the sweep of a radar screen but my artistic skills fail me... :(

AZGerry
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 11:54
Thanks Gerry...

Appreciate your taking the time.
My pleasure. I've been working on some night shots around here, and came up with one I like. This is a shot of the Sanctuary on the hill in Palominas. Comments appreciated, too....

lilminijpc
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 12:09
reminds me of a air force recruitment/goarmy.com poster...

hm... didn't see the 3rd one until now... i like that one better. :)
i like the color scheme in that one.

scottcolbath
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 12:12

Speaking of Lake Pleasant, any of you ever gone out to Castle Hot Springs?

S.C.

AZGerry
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 12:34
Speaking of Lake Pleasant, any of you ever gone out to Castle Hot Springs?

S.C.
No. Where is it?

Ursie
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 13:18
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/108596368/original.jpg

So I played around with this a bit and here are a couple of samples I came up with. I think the stencil is too predictable, personally, so I added the following. First one is Letter Gothic Standard, but I did some playing around on the characters traits.
http://ursula-scrapgirls.smugmug.com/photos/462886899_r6MYr-XL.jpg

Second one uses OCR A Std on everything except the name. Name uses Mechanical Fun. Again, played with the keeing. Also added a stroked border. I did like the use of the bullseye that you had. That definately adds to the feel of militaryness(?) Yes, I'm a girl. LOL
http://ursula-scrapgirls.smugmug.com/photos/462886891_aJgnW-XL.jpg

Kristy
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 13:20
No. Where is it?

http://www.2coollizards.com/castle_rd/castle_rd.html

scottcolbath
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 14:28
http://www.2coollizards.com/castle_rd/castle_rd.html

Plus, you get to see the old resort, out in the middle of nowhere.

Turn the sound down unless you like banjo music.
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/castlehotsprings.html

http://wookiee.smugmug.com/photos/56773242_csVTd-M.jpg

S.C.

JmprSteve
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 14:32
Ursie
nice edits, like the last one the best.

Ursie
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 15:22
Ursie
nice edits, like the last one the best.

Thanks! I think I'm partial to that one also.

OMG, my new M2 is not autofocusing. Taking it back to whence it came now. Of course, they don't have a replacement so I'll have to wait or find one elsewhere. Quelle horreur!

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 16:00
@ Ursie .. Nice work. I printed off a test batch (of my last edit) on glossy paper just for grins and promptly decided the entire concept doesn't work so back to the drawing board I go.

@ Scott .. Really bad midi banjo music at that

Castle Hot Springs looks interesting but I notice it mentions that it's "care takered" and posted... Would be fascinating to walk around and in the buildings.

macroshooter1970
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 17:37
Ok... Third Version I appreciate the feedback. And yes, it's an F4 Phantom II

third time is a charm, each version gets better and better :)

scottcolbath
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 17:44
@ Scott .. Really bad midi banjo music at that

And that site has great ghost town info. I don't understand why they leave that crap playing. I'd bet it has driven people away.

S.C.

Ursie
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 18:57
Ok, got a refund for my 5DM2 and now I'm wondering. Has anyone owned both the 5D and the 5DM2? I'd be interested to know if you think the upgrade is worth the dough and why. Having played with it, I like it alot, but I know I've heard lots of good things on the 5D as well so not sure if the upgrade was worthwhile. Perhaps I got a 'free' trial run so that I can go back to the original plan which had been the 5D.

Also considered the 50D and wait for the next iteration of the 5DM2 which I've heard rumors will be out in a year and have improved AF and a few other key items. Oh.....what to do, what to do.

ScottDR
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 19:57
Hi all, I'm way behind on reading. So far I can say it looks like everyone had a very productive night of star trails! Am also enjoying the other shots I've been seeing.

Like the latest dramatic jet capture Jay (and Gerry too!). Ursie, I really like your last font edit on Jay's shot best...it definitely seems to fit.

I had one attempt quasi-worthy of posting from Sunday morning's sunrise. Have a look and see what you think. I was joined by two other POTN members and one did an awesome HDR and posted it on the page before. It is here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=7201075&postcount=128

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 20:01
Hi all, I'm way behind on reading. So far I can say it looks like everyone had a very productive night of star trails! Am also enjoying the other shots I've been seeing.

Like the latest dramatic jet capture Jay (and Gerry too!). Ursie, I really like your last font edit on Jay's shot best...it definitely seems to fit.

I had one attempt quasi-worthy of posting from Sunday morning's sunrise. Have a look and see what you think. I was joined by two other POTN members and one did an awesome HDR and posted it on the page before. It is here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=7201075&postcount=128
Great looking shot Scott. :)

I really can't tell that much of a difference between the HDR and yours. Both look good.

ScottDR
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 20:19
Wow, thank you Jeremy. I need to learn HDR :).

Ursie
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 20:21
So I'm just figuring out this HDR thing too. I was wondering, how do you decide how much to do? I poked around a bit with Scott's image and here is what I came up with. Is that too much? I know there's a funky line between horizon line and cityscape but higher resolution could avoid that more affectively.

http://ursula-scrapgirls.smugmug.com/photos/463088338_xDAjN-L.jpg

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 21:03
Wow, thank you Jeremy. I need to learn HDR :).
Welcome. It's not too difficult. Just takes some playing around with. I'm, by no means, an expert at HDR, but it's not hard. :)

So I'm just figuring out this HDR thing too. I was wondering, how do you decide how much to do? I poked around a bit with Scott's image and here is what I came up with. Is that too much? I know there's a funky line between horizon line and cityscape but higher resolution could avoid that more affectively.
I think it all depends on how bright/dark the scene is, and also how much of an effect you want to make.

I think the more dramatic you want it to be, the more spread out you want the exposures to be. I'm not entirely sure about that though.

Good looking edit. :)

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 21:06
Anyone use the Delkin Sensor scope to clean thier camera? If so how do you like it?

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 21:07
Anyone use the Delkin Sensor scope to clean thier camera? If so how do you like it?
Never heard of it... so no. :p

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 21:15
http://www.delkin.com/products/sensorscope/sensorsystem.html

I desided I need to do a better job cleaning after seeing my Star trails

How are you today Jeremy?

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 21:25

Ahhhh... yeah, I should probably clean mine, or get mine cleaned... meh...

Doing pretty good. Still trying to figure out this damn dreamweaver crap. lol

You?

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 21:30
I'm doing fine, been a long day.

What are you doing with Dreamweaver? I have it but have never played with it. Came with CS3 package I have.

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 21:32
I'm doing fine, been a long day.

What are you doing with Dreamweaver? I have it but have never played with it. Came with CS3 package I have.
This (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=636860)

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 21:49
Wish I could help. If I were you I would go to this site and see if someone will help. I'm sure there are others out there.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/

Also you should get into College, if your not. That will take care of your free time problem. :P

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 21:50
Wish I could help. If I were you I would go to this site and see if someone will help. I'm sure there are others out there.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/

Also you should get into College, if your not. That will take care of your free time problem. :P
Ewwwwww... college? You mean... school?! :shock: I've had 12 years of school. I'm done with it. :p lol

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 21:54
Ewwwwww... college? You mean... school?! :shock: I've had 12 years of school. I'm done with it. :p lol

Don't say that, really you should.

If for no other reason then to have fun. It's something that everyone should do. Or join the service. :)

scottcolbath
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 21:54

$129? :shock:

Take a shot of a blue sky and look at it. You will know if your sensor needs to be cleaned.

Example:

http://wookiee.smugmug.com/photos/375246020_gwWSW-L.jpg

Yup. Needs to be cleaned.

Any of the several DSLR cleaning kits out there will work fine for you. Don't piss away your money on that thing.

S.C.

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 21:56
Don't say that, really you should.

If for no other reason then to have fun. It's something that everyone should do. Or join the service. :)
I can have more fun for a lot less than $5,000+ a semester... lol

I know I should, I just don't want to... cause I don't like school.

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 21:59
So that is what you do, interresting. What if it's cloudy? J/K

JmprSteve
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:00

The sensor scope just lets you see the sensor before and after you clean the sensor. I've got one and for the money I should've just taken the camera in to either Photomark or Tempe camera and gotten it cleaned. I tried using the kit and was successful with the 20D, bought new swabs for the 5D and after much trial and error took the 5D to Photomark to clean up the mess I made. I just recently had the 5D cleaned at Tempe Camera, both places did a better job than I did. The 5D was a little over a year between cleanings.

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:02
The sensor scope just lets you see the sensor before and after you clean the sensor. I've got one and for the money I should've just taken the camera in to either Photomark or Tempe camera and gotten it cleaned. I tried using the kit and was successful with the 20D, bought new swabs for the 5D and after much trial and error took the 5D to Photomark to clean up the mess I made. I just recently had the 5D cleaned at Tempe Camera, both places did a better job than I did. The 5D was a little over a year between cleanings.
How much is it to get them cleaned, Steve?! :D

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:02
It's not the same as "school" just take what you want to and you don't have to pay 5,000 a semester. There are so many ways to pay for it you just need to find a way. Go to a Community College.

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:04
It's not the same as "school" just take what you want to and you don't have to pay 5,000 a semester. There are so many ways to pay for it you just need to find a way. Go to a Community College.
None of the schools have what I want to take. :lol:

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:04
What do you want to take?

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:05
What do you want to take?
How to be a billionaire in one day. ;)

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:07
So you want to get into banking and get a handout? No really what would you like to take?

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:08
So you want to get into banking and get a handout? No really what would you like to take?
Not real sure actually. lol

JmprSteve
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:11
Ok, got a refund for my 5DM2 and now I'm wondering. Has anyone owned both the 5D and the 5DM2? I'd be interested to know if you think the upgrade is worth the dough and why. Having played with it, I like it alot, but I know I've heard lots of good things on the 5D as well so not sure if the upgrade was worthwhile. Perhaps I got a 'free' trial run so that I can go back to the original plan which had been the 5D.

Also considered the 50D and wait for the next iteration of the 5DM2 which I've heard rumors will be out in a year and have improved AF and a few other key items. Oh.....what to do, what to do.

I like my 5D - there's not much incentive for me to upgrade to the 5DM2. If I want to shoot video then I would buy a video camera. I also have my 20D as a backup, but I really like the full sensor (old film shooter). A lot a quality shots were being produced at the workshop with the 50D, 40D, and a couple of 5D's. Really hard to tell the difference. I guess you need to decide if the 5D series have capabilities that the 50D doesn't. Not just capabilities, but capabilities that you need to do the style of shooting that you do! We had quite the discussion about this over the weekend, someone was drooling over the gazzillon focusing points on one of the upper $cale cameras and didn't understand why I wasn't impressed (I use the center point only about 99.99949% of the time). So while he was willing to pay the extra $ for the focusing points, it really wasn't a selling point for me.

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:14

Thanks for the info Steve!

JmprSteve
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:16
How much is it to get them cleaned, Steve?! :D

don't remember, but after spending over an hour trying to clean the sensor and making it worse. The cost was more than reasonable versus me getting totally PO'd.

If you are planning on doing it yourself, check into the price of the "swabs"!
The manufacturers are very very very proud of those! I went thru 6 of those things!

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:17
I wonder if Kristy is wondering if she could drive to California a get a photo op with those 8 new babies? Man what a handfull that would be. I say put them all in pots! :)

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:17
don't remember, but after spending over an hour trying to clean the sensor and making it worse. The cost was more than reasonable versus me getting totally PO'd.

The manufacturers are very very very proud of those! I went thru 6 of those things!
I... kinda already tried. LOL I really need to get mine done by a pro. :D

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:18
ATTENTION FLICKR USERS!!!!!

Just wondering if anyone has ordered prints from Flickr and how they turned out? I just ordered one print for a friend. It goes through Target.

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:19

6 to clean one time? Holly cow!

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:24
Not real sure actually. lol

So your BSing me? LOL Just think about it your only young once and like I said just take what you want you don't have to get a degree.

JmprSteve
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:29
6 to clean one time? Holly cow!

Yep! 6 swabs at about $3 apiece plus cost of the solution.... and an hour of my time.. plus another hour of being upset that I couldn't get it clean.

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:33
Yep! 6 swabs at about $3 apiece plus cost of the solution.... and an hour of my time.. plus another hour of being upset that I couldn't get it clean.

Guess it's going to Tempe Camera then.

JmprSteve
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:38
Guess it's going to Tempe Camera then.

Call them first to see when the guy in the shop (camera repair), I think Hatch was able to pick it up the same day. I had to wait two days.

Jimbow1098
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:39
Call them first to see when the guy in the shop (camera repair), I think Hatch was able to pick it up the same day. I had to wait two days.

Ok Thanks again for the info.

Ursie
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:40
I clean my sensors. Well, I should say that I have my engineering husband do it for me, I hold the flashlight. LOL I think it probably takes a very precise person with a technical mind to do the job well. He does, but he's veerrrryy precise. By the way, we don't buy the swabs but the pads and a wand which is reusable. I got the instructions and ideas as to what products from http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html

This site was really thorough. Even so, it was a bit trying, but once we figured it out I was glad we did it ourselves. It costs around $65 to $75 per cleaning from the pros. I spent less than that for the supplies and I can do many cleanings.

Ursie
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 22:42
Oh, and Jeremy, if you don't want to go to school, wait until you do. It's alot of money to spend on something that holds no interest for you. If you're an ambitious sort, you'll figure out what you want to do and that will be the time to invest in it. For now, try things to see what really floats your boat. (note: this is not the popular view, more like the rebel view)

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 23:08
Oh, and Jeremy, if you don't want to go to school, wait until you do. It's alot of money to spend on something that holds no interest for you. If you're an ambitious sort, you'll figure out what you want to do and that will be the time to invest in it. For now, try things to see what really floats your boat. (note: this is not the popular view, more like the rebel view)
:)

I'm not interested in the "popular" thing to do... never really have been. lol I tend to do as I like. :D

Ursie
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 23:18
:)

I'm not interested in the "popular" thing to do... never really have been. lol I tend to do as I like. :D

I only discovered what I wanted to do in life at age 31 and now I'm happy I didn't go to college for the 'business' degree I had planned to get. At that time, I couldn't figure out what to do so I started out for something safe. Luckily I realized before I wasted too much time and energy that I was, in fact, wasting my time and energy. Now I'm making money for doing things that I love, Graphic Design and Photography. Totally self taught........well and learning from other great photogs like you guys.

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 23:24
I only discovered what I wanted to do in life at age 31 and now I'm happy I didn't go to college for the 'business' degree I had planned to get. At that time, I couldn't figure out what to do so I started out for something safe. Luckily I realized before I wasted too much time and energy that I was, in fact, wasting my time and energy. Now I'm making money for doing things that I love, Graphic Design and Photography. Totally self taught........well and learning from other great photogs like you guys.
You do Graphic Design? Like what? :) That could be pretty fun.

macroshooter1970
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 23:32

would never waste my money on that, just use a few drops of eclipse on a swab and you're done.

macroshooter1970
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 23:34
I can have more fun for a lot less than $5,000+ a semester... lol

I know I should, I just don't want to... cause I don't like school.

no rule that say's you have to go to school, just keep a job and live your life the way you want.

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 23:40
no rule that say's you have to go to school, just keep a job and live your life the way you want.
Well, if it were, rules were made to be broken. :razz:

Ursie
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 23:47
Well, I work for Scrap Girls designing digital scrapbook supplies. I'm independant so I do what I want, when I want, in whatever style I want. This (http://store.scrapgirls.com/manufacturer/67/Ursula-Schneider) is my part of the store. And this (http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?autocom=gallery&req=sc&cat=196) is my gallery where I showcase what my collections can be used to create.

I also do some poster work for my husband's Rock band. Again, I pretty much do what I want there. You can't always find clients that are so pliant, but I've been lucky. Here's a poster I just did for the band.

jbdavies
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 23:54
Well, I work for Scrap Girls designing digital scrapbook supplies. I'm independant so I do what I want, when I want, in whatever style I want. This (http://store.scrapgirls.com/manufacturer/67/Ursula-Schneider) is my part of the store. And this (http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?autocom=gallery&req=sc&cat=196) is my gallery where I showcase what my collections can be used to create.

I also do some poster work for my husband's Rock band. Again, I pretty much do what I want there. You can't always find clients that are so pliant, but I've been lucky. Here's a poster I just did for the band.
Oh that's cool! Some nice work there. :)

Kristy
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 23:58

I really like this... I don't know about HDR.. But I'd definitely add some contrast. :)

Ahhhh... yeah, I should probably clean mine, or get mine cleaned... meh...

You and me both... Mine has a huge dirt spot... From leaving it open for Star Trails I think.. I'm so mad about it.. because I have no clue how to clean the thing.. and I doubt I'll even try... Off to Tempe Camera I will go.. :(

This (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=636860)

Just go and get a business degree for now.. you can always use it in some way or another...

I wonder if Kristy is wondering if she could drive to California a get a photo op with those 8 new babies? Man what a handfull that would be. I say put them all in pots! :)

Shooting all those babies would be so much fun.. stressful, overwhelming, but just think of the possibilities!! :)

ATTENTION FLICKR USERS!!!!!

Just wondering if anyone has ordered prints from Flickr and how they turned out? I just ordered one print for a friend. It goes through Target.

Target?? Don't waste your time Mister... Send them to either MPix or sign up for WHCC.

This is so cool. I actually bought some stuff from there... (I think). I used a few elements on my Christmas card... so funny!

It's waaay cool that you are so talented. Love your papers and stuff. :)