PDA

View Full Version : Another Arizona POTN get together (2)?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Rutha73
3rd of November 2008 (Mon), 21:23
Jake... was it Tempe Lakes? The science center on 7th ave... they will boot you as well. You need permission or a permit to shoot concrete steps? ROFL

I understand why these places do what they do... we just move on...easier that way. I think Kristy mentioned you can't shoot at Westgate...

Good times! ROFL

Actually it is a place called The Pecans down in Queen Creek. it is a new housing development that are "semi customs" the person that pulled up had that "I'm better than you because I just paid way too much for my house!" tone, we just said fine we will leave and took some more photos after they were gone.
BTW I like the last shot on the tracks and the one with the long sleeve shirt! That first one hurts my eyes, I think it is because oll of the grasses going all over and they are the same color as her hair. it is a lot of the same color going everywhere, at first I thought she was in a hammock or something similar!....just my .02

disneydork06
3rd of November 2008 (Mon), 22:10
Hatch - great shots. the last shot of her in the long sleeve makes her look like a volleyball player to me, even a track athlete...

I thought it was tomorrow?
I saw on the news that he has something going on tonight. tomorrow will be interesting...just hope I find my polling place :-P

jbdavies
3rd of November 2008 (Mon), 23:08
Hatch - great shots. the last shot of her in the long sleeve makes her look like a volleyball player to me, even a track athlete...

I saw on the news that he has something going on tonight. tomorrow will be interesting...just hope I find my polling place :-P
Weird. Oh well.. I'll be voting first thing tomorrow morning. :) And then it's over!! YAY!! :D

macroshooter1970
3rd of November 2008 (Mon), 23:18
just reg to vote, never did it before.

ScottDR
3rd of November 2008 (Mon), 23:57
I say it's Scott's call...

Whoa! :). I hope we can get a large group out this time.

So Frank you are leaving us? I guess I can't really complain, I am too. Too bad you won't be here for one last outing man. D'oh. Love the shots as usual and please enjoy Colorado for me. I sure miss it!

Terry, you up for an outing in 12 days? Who else? Anymore ideas as to where?

Hmm, off to bed. Think I'm going to try and get to the polling place by 05:30.

jbdavies
4th of November 2008 (Tue), 00:18
just reg to vote, never did it before.
Really?! Good for you!! :D

macroshooter1970
4th of November 2008 (Tue), 00:19
Really?! Good for you!! :D

ya figure be part of history

jbdavies
4th of November 2008 (Tue), 00:20
ya figure be part of history
Yeah... it sure is interesting. I just can't wait for it to all be over with. :)

JmprSteve
4th of November 2008 (Tue), 02:35
I posted two shots from the Sunday's shoot with Karra, they can be found here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6620069#post6620069
Here are two that I like as well, I think I shot a total of 23 frames. Interesting shoot and Karra was exceptional! Frank was the main shooter, time was short so there was no time to switch shooter / assistant roles like we normally do. Good times, thanks Frank and Kristy for helping make these images happen!

joeb1
4th of November 2008 (Tue), 02:46
Jake... was it Tempe Lakes? The science center on 7th ave... they will boot you as well. You need permission or a permit to shoot concrete steps? ROFL

I understand why these places do what they do... we just move on...easier that way. I think Kristy mentioned you can't shoot at Westgate...

Good times! ROFL

Hey I remember getting kicked out with you guys at the science center :-P westgate (and most malls) has their rules about shooting store displays so if they see a "pro camera" they kick you out. but I was able to shoot at arrowhead mall cause a buddy told me about their rules with photography, he was part of security. also, I emailed the folks at desert ridge and got permission to photograph someone but never used the chance.

I took some photos at Westgate. I spoke with security and he told me they don't want you taking pics of stores and store displays. I asked if I could photograph the fountain and he said yes. Got a few stores in the background of the fountain. Oh well. Oops..

From there I went to UPS (University of Phoenix Stadium) around 11:30 at night. I saw security driving around in a golf cart. I waited for him to come by and asked if I could shoot some pics of the stadium for my personal use. He said "No problem".

20 minutes later a helo passed by. 2 minutes after that I was lit up like it was daylight. I looked up at the helo and waved. I went back to pic taking. I guess he saw the tripod and camera and NOT a sniper rifle and they left.

A lot of people think you can't take photos of certain things. If it's visible from a public place there shouldn't be a problem.

I printed a couple of copies and I carry a copy of the Photographers Rights page in my camera bag.

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

disneydork06
4th of November 2008 (Tue), 04:05

So Frank you are leaving us? I guess I can't really complain, I am too. Too bad you won't be here for one last outing man. D'oh. Love the shots as usual and please enjoy Colorado for me. I sure miss it!

whoa, we tell you it's your choice and you ask us? how thoughtful :-P anyways, pick a genre you want to shoot and we can go from there. people? landscape? macro? uh cars? bikes? inanimate objects? :-D
oh and my bro wants to do 6am for the voting...but at least he's buying breakfast! :-D
Yeah... it sure is interesting. I just can't wait for it to all be over with. :)
no kidding! but you know it won't exactly be over....

disneydork06
4th of November 2008 (Tue), 04:22
I took some photos at Westgate. I spoke with security and he told me they don't want you taking pics of stores and store displays. I asked if I could photograph the fountain and he said yes. Got a few stores in the background of the fountain. Oh well. Oops..

From there I went to UPS (University of Phoenix Stadium) around 11:30 at night. I saw security driving around in a golf cart. I waited for him to come by and asked if I could shoot some pics of the stadium for my personal use. He said "No problem".

20 minutes later a helo passed by. 2 minutes after that I was lit up like it was daylight. I looked up at the helo and waved. I went back to pic taking. I guess he saw the tripod and camera and NOT a sniper rifle and they left.

A lot of people think you can't take photos of certain things. If it's visible from a public place there shouldn't be a problem.

I printed a couple of copies and I carry a copy of the Photographers Rights page in my camera bag.

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
well at least you met some nice security guards. I've met a couple that didn't like my equipment :-/ prolly cause I had a nikon then :-P

Kristy
4th of November 2008 (Tue), 10:24
Waaaaaaayyyyy behind over here... Lots of chatter going on here...

Hatch & Steve, the shots are looking great!! Makes me wish I was shooting too... :( I need to get my issues resolved. But I had fun just the same.

On the subject of shooting at places.. I think a phone call ahead of time eliminates problems. And Westgate now has a form on their website for photography authorization, so I'm guessing as long as you carry your own insurance, they will allow you to shoot with the form on file. Probably the same with most places.

So what's the plan for an outing?? I'm keeping watch.. :) As long as it doesn't mean I have to get up at 5:00 am, I'd be interested.

Ryan... Nikon D700 is looking pretty sweet... don't knock it buddy. ;)

HAPPY TUESDAY to all.

Guerry Dalrymple
4th of November 2008 (Tue), 12:30

Scott

I assume you are still talking about the 15th. Nancy and I would like to be there depending on the location. Have there been any suggestions on what type of shooting? It looks like its your choice buddy, so what you say?

Guerry

disneydork06
4th of November 2008 (Tue), 13:34
Ryan... Nikon D700 is looking pretty sweet... don't knock it buddy. ;)

HAPPY TUESDAY to all.
I saw! but that is after the fact that I sold all my nikon gear and decided to pick up a lot of new canon gear. kinda upset I spent so much money to get where I am when all I needed to do was get a new body and a wide angle but nikon took too long :-P c'est la vie.

disneydork06
4th of November 2008 (Tue), 23:16
hot air balloon festival anyone? this saturday: http://www.pulteaz.com/balloon/

macroshooter1970
4th of November 2008 (Tue), 23:40
hot air balloon festival anyone? this saturday: http://www.pulteaz.com/balloon/

how many balloons

macroshooter1970
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 00:34
ok i get it now Jeremy, man it's been a long work week. guess my brain is fried, i need a drink or 7. come on 6am

jbdavies
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 00:37
ok i get it now Jeremy, man it's been a long work week. guess my brain is fried, i need a drink or 7. come on 6am
Haha! I'm just glad it's all over with. :) For the most part. lol

FlyingPhotog
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 01:48
Not intending to lay on a major POTN-AZ get together but I'm probably going to head to Montezuma Castle/Well on Saturday.

The Mrs. has never seen either and we thought we'd get out and enjoy the cooler weather for the day.

If you've never been, both are very cool. Especially Montezuma Well. Some really fun WA angles to be captured.

macroshooter1970
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 02:02
Haha! I'm just glad it's all over with. :) For the most part. lol

did you work the polls or something?

macroshooter1970
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 02:03
Not intending to lay on a major POTN-AZ get together but I'm probably going to head to Montezuma Castle/Well on Saturday.

The Mrs. has never seen either and we thought we'd get out and enjoy the cooler weather for the day.

If you've never been, both are very cool. Especially Montezuma Well. Some really fun WA angles to be captured.

now that sounds like fun, hope you u 2 have a wonderful day.

disneydork06
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 04:15
how many balloons
there's a number on the website you could prolly call and find out :-)

If you've never been, both are very cool. Especially Montezuma Well. Some really fun WA angles to be captured.sounds like fun. how far out is it for you?

macroshooter1970
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 05:12
there's a number on the website you could prolly call and find out :-)
sounds like fun. how far out is it for you?

you know i was, but i'm sure they were closed at the time you posted it. i figured since you found intrest in it, maybe you would have know a small detail or 2. they launch at 4, so it looks like a waste of time. let us know how it is. :rolleyes::p:):lol:

FlyingPhotog
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 10:42
sounds like fun. how far out is it for you?

Approx 1:30-ish from my house to the Castle

Dermit
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 15:59
Anyone here belong to AzPPA?

Hatch1921
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 18:51
Sitting in Colorado Springs... it is FREAKING COLD! ROFL The sun just went behind Pikes Peak... only 4:30 and it is just about dark. I hit snow flurries on the way up... I haven't seen that in about 7 years. WOW! LOL

Hope everyone is having a fun day... just glad the 800+ miles have come to an end.

Hatch

ScottDR
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 19:20

Wow, enjoy that one Jay! I've never been there either :P. A week from Saturday I'd be all over that one :).

FlyingPhotog
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 19:22
Wow, enjoy that one Jay! I've never been there either :P. A week from Saturday I'd be all over that one :).

Isn't that our Adios Scott outing day?

Where we goin? ;)

macroshooter1970
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 20:23
Sitting in Colorado Springs... it is FREAKING COLD! ROFL The sun just went behind Pikes Peak... only 4:30 and it is just about dark. I hit snow flurries on the way up... I haven't seen that in about 7 years. WOW! LOL

Hope everyone is having a fun day... just glad the 800+ miles have come to an end.

Hatch

wow it sure is up there, hope you don't get sick and stuff.

Skip Souza
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 21:21
Political discussions are prohibited here and have been deleted. If you can't adhere to the rules of the Forum perhaps it is time to take a break.

Hatch1921
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 21:27
Group hug from Colorado :)

Thanks Mike... I hope with the climate change I stay healthy... there might be snow in the morning... YIKES!!! COLD...so very COLD!!!

LOL
Hatch

ScottDR
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 22:41
Jay as you just mentioned and Ryan previously asked what type of shooting, here goes. I would really like to learn more about shooting people. BUT, doesn't that severely limit us as to where and whom to shoot? I actually did my friend/co-worker Jessica's outdoor wedding as a favor (and the practice) and unfortunately the sun came out JUST before it started. Let me know what you think please:

http://picasaweb.google.com/DeRuyterPhotos/JessicaDaniel#

Because of the aforementioned limitations, I choose landscapes. We are in AZ after all :). Now to find a place within about 2 hours drive....hmm. If there were some old cars or something else inanimate to shoot thrown in it would be an added bonus since I need to sharpen my composition skills.

Saguaro NP West for sunrise and the old mission in Tucson comes to mind for an early to mid-morning but let's hear some other ideas for the 15th!

ScottDR
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 22:47
Oh, and Hatch enjoy the cool weather for me :) Colorado Springs is beautiful, have you been before? If not, you must check out Garden of the Gods-with snow would be icing on the cake.

I'll be in rainy Southern OH as of late tomorrow night until Sunday.

Az2Africa
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 22:54
Good job Scott. Great color balance and exposure. Nice poses. I'm sure they will be happy with them.
I'd love to go on the 15th, but I have to work. The Mission in Tucson is a great idea. But it makes me want a tilt-shift lens and I need to save the stray cash for when my 5D MkII gets here.

ScottDR
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 23:09
Thanks Terry, I really appreciate the kind words.

Too bad you are working on the 15th. :( I'd really like a chance to go out shooting with you again. One thing I know I learned from you at Boyce Thompson was using the * button as the focus button and I use it today most of the time. Plus your very kind gift!!!

FlyingPhotog
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 23:36
Jay as you just mentioned and Ryan previously asked what type of shooting, here goes. I would really like to learn more about shooting people. BUT, doesn't that severely limit us as to where and whom to shoot? I actually did my friend/co-worker Jessica's outdoor wedding as a favor (and the practice) and unfortunately the sun came out JUST before it started. Let me know what you think please:

Because of the aforementioned limitations, I choose landscapes. We are in AZ after all :). Now to find a place within about 2 hours drive....hmm. If there were some old cars or something else inanimate to shoot thrown in it would be an added bonus since I need to sharpen my composition skills.

Saguaro NP West for sunrise and the old mission in Tucson comes to mind for an early to mid-morning but let's hear some other ideas for the 15th!

Very nice effort on the wedding shots! I'm sure the B&G will love them...

Ok, so you want old and inanimate. That describes me perfectly but I'm not that photogenic so... Howzabout Jerome and the Gold King Museum and Ghost town? :)

BrianAZ
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 23:55

Hatch

They gonna let you take any leave, or are you stuck there for the next several weeks?

ScottDR
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 00:44
Jay, LOL! I'm also more comfortable behind the camera :).

And I'm game for that idea for sure! Who else is up for it?

Thanks for the kind words on the shots as well. I figure if I can do ok in the AZ sun, I'll do better elsewhere :P. I tried to use the built-on flash for the direct sunlit shots but gees, kind of hopeless-next on my list is a 580EX-1. Also had my wife bounce some light back into their faces on others. Was a good learning experience.

disneydork06
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 01:06
Jay, LOL! I'm also more comfortable behind the camera :).

And I'm game for that idea for sure! Who else is up for it?

Thanks for the kind words on the shots as well. I figure if I can do ok in the AZ sun, I'll do better elsewhere :P. I tried to use the built-on flash for the direct sunlit shots but gees, kind of hopeless-next on my list is a 580EX-1. Also had my wife bounce some light back into their faces on others. Was a good learning experience.hey nice job with the shots! I'm game for that day as well...as long as I don't get any more work picked up to shoot that day :-) but you know maybe someone might have a house to use as a small studio and we could possibly find someone who wants some tfcd shots :-)
But yeah, I'm willing to travel as well...might need a ride though.

Guerry Dalrymple
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 12:10

The wedding photos look great to me. It looks like you got all the important traditional shots and some really nice other poses. Lighting looked good to me but what do I know. I do know I like them. Wedding Photographer being added to the resume?

The land scape idea sounds good to me. especially since I have started learning to do panoramas. Saguaro NP and the old Mission sound good. I am trying to find someplace to shoot the Superstitions for a pano but can't seem to find it. I like the shapes from the west side but the lighting never seems right. Maybe someone know a way to get to shoot the east side at sun rise???

FlyingPhotog
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 12:27
I'd do Tucson as well but bear in mind that San Xavier (at least the west tower and west side) is covered in scaffolding right now and not very photogenic.

Guerry, the problem with the east side of the Superstitions is that the terrain slopes upward from east to west. From what little exploring I've done off of the Apache Trail, you need to get well into the spine between the summits and Weaver's Needle.

Now I was just doing a little Google Earth + Garmin Mapsource and it looks as if you can get a view of the SE side of the Superstitions from the road to the Peralta Trailhead which is off of US60. It appears to be roughly 2mi beyond the entrance to Gold Canyon and it would be on your left as you head toward Globe.

FlyingPhotog
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 15:26
Coming soon to a POTN near you...

Bought stands, a bar and a roll of seamless medium grey today.
The Mrs has agreed to be my test subject.

Stay tuned as hilarity will ensue... :rolleyes:

disneydork06
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 15:41
haha, nice...where did you get your stuff? i'm looking at getting stands and a bg myselfComing soon to a POTN near you...

Bought stands, a bar and a roll of seamless medium grey today.
The Mrs has agreed to be my test subject.

Stay tuned as hilarity will ensue... :rolleyes:

FlyingPhotog
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 16:52
haha, nice...where did you get your stuff? i'm looking at getting stands and a bg myself

Photomark :(

I use a :( because I know I could have gotten it cheaper online but somethings I just want to see, shake, play with before buying ya know? I wanted to get two SkyPort Universal receivers too but not at their prices...ugh.

At least now I've taken the plunge and can start buying different materials and fabric from JoAnn's. I have clamps to hold the stuff up.

I also got a convertable umbrella for using outdoors with a Speedlight, And I got a boom arm so I can get better elevation when using a strobe as a down light for table top stuff.

BrianAZ
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 17:34
Cool Jay.

Can't wait to see the test pics. I think I'm going to play around this weekend with some self portraits using a single light for some drama.

FlyingPhotog
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 19:42
Ok, I've got the portrait thing knocked...
What Next? LOL...
(I promise to never do this again .. But I nailed the eyes, right?)

5D + 50mm f/1.4 .. 1/125 @ f/4 ISO 100 + Short Arms
http://upload.pbase.com/image/105585817/original.jpg

macroshooter1970
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 19:46
looks a lttle out of focus, but the eyes good yep :)

FlyingPhotog
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 19:47
looks a lttle out of focus, but the eyes good yep :)

Wait till I fire up the strobes.

I can make f/29 easily and get from here to Peoria in focus! ;)

disneydork06
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 01:10
Photomark :(

I use a :( because I know I could have gotten it cheaper online but somethings I just want to see, shake, play with before buying ya know? I wanted to get two SkyPort Universal receivers too but not at their prices...ugh.

At least now I've taken the plunge and can start buying different materials and fabric from JoAnn's. I have clamps to hold the stuff up.

I also got a convertable umbrella for using outdoors with a Speedlight, And I got a boom arm so I can get better elevation when using a strobe as a down light for table top stuff.I know how you feel. I was there a bit ago looking. wasn't sure if I could find another place for bg stands. but I saw the seamless wasn't really that expensive from what I thought it would be. I've been getting the email from joann's that includes discounts so I'm set for them if I need any fabric :-P btw, how's that ste2 coming along? having some fun with it?

jbdavies
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 02:54
IT'S FRIDAY!!! YAYYY!!!

Looks like you're going to have fun Jay. With your new toys and this weekend. I've been up there... a long time ago. For school I think. Shot looks good... to me. I know that's not saying much, but still. lol

Anywho... yay it's Friday!!

FlyingPhotog
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 03:38
IT'S FRIDAY!!! YAYYY!!!

Looks like you're going to have fun Jay. With your new toys and this weekend. I've been up there... a long time ago. For school I think. Shot looks good... to me. I know that's not saying much, but still. lol

Anywho... yay it's Friday!!

I see where you can actually connect from Montezuma Well to the Fossil Creek road. Might drive up the rim that way.

We'll see...

Kristy
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 09:17
Nice mugshot..... lol. ;)

So was this a lighting experiement or a self portrait experiment?

Cant' wait to see what kind of shots you'll get when you set up your little studio. :) Fun!!

Hey guys... I updated my homepage on smugmug... and added the dreaded music... and a little slideshow...
If you have a second, can you take a peek and tell me if the music bothers you, and if it does.... do you want to leave, or is it easy enough to locate the player and turn it off.

I love the music... so I will keep it, but just wondering what the general thought is...

WOO HOO!! Happy Friday!!

Jerome next weekend?? Saturday?

jbdavies
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 09:49

Cant' wait to see what kind of shots you'll get when you set up your little studio. :) Fun!!

Hey guys... I updated my homepage on smugmug... and added the dreaded music... and a little slideshow...
If you have a second, can you take a peek and tell me if the music bothers you, and if it does.... do you want to leave, or is it easy enough to locate the player and turn it off.

I love the music... so I will keep it, but just wondering what the general thought is...

WOO HOO!! Happy Friday!!

Jerome next weekend?? Saturday?
Hey Kristy. I liked the music. He really is a great pianist. And I like the overall look/feel. :)

jbdavies
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 09:51
I see where you can actually connect from Montezuma Well to the Fossil Creek road. Might drive up the rim that way.

We'll see...
Oh fun! I've never done the whole road. It does get pretty bumpy though... good luck.

BrianAZ
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 09:53
Kristy,

Just an FYI, but it won't play automatically, depending on your browser and/or OS. Due to my security settings, I get a popup to download a player. Most people not familiar with you or the site already, won't bother to do so.

Kristy
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 10:28
Hey Kristy. I liked the music. He really is a great pianist. And I like the overall look/feel. :)

Kristy,

Just an FYI, but it won't play automatically, depending on your browser and/or OS. Due to my security settings, I get a popup to download a player. Most people not familiar with you or the site already, won't bother to do so.

Thanks guys.... It took me forever to figure it out... HTML/CSS code is not my specialty....

A pop up is not cool with me... definitely need to figure out a way around that...
Hey Brian, is there a better way to add music? This was something that is in the footer it looks like this.... Just directly from his site.. but I have written permission to use it.

Maybe I need to host the music somewhere else and upload it from there? I have no clue how that works though...

If anyone can help, I'd be forever grateful! :)

Anyway... here's what's in the footer of my page set up.

<<div id ="my_music">
<div align="center">
<embed src="http://homepage.mac.com/cushy1/mozartsonatainc/ThemefromMozartsSonatainC.mp3" width="70" height="18" autostart="true" loop="true">
</div>

BrianAZ
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 12:41
Well, what it is trying to do is run the music using an Active X control. My settings are set up that for non "trusted" sites it will prompt me before using an Active X control (damn that IT security background). Most PC users will experience something similar.

I've got music on my site, but it is flash based, and I don't have it on by default. As long as you have Adobe Flash, or even an older version of Macromedia Flash, it will automatically play when you click on the music icon.

Kristy
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 12:43
Okay..... :)

How do I do upload a song to a flash player? I think smugmug doesn't let me upload the song from my computer.. it has to be "hosted" somewhere... and I don't know enough about hosting music to find a place that I can upload the song, and then pull it from the hosting site.

Does that make any sense at all?

Dermit
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 14:55
Anyone here belong to AzPPA?

I take it no one is then.

BrianAZ
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 14:57
You would have to change you whole site to flash, to support that. For flash based websites, you typically download a template, and just configure it how you want. You would actually take an .mp3 file and save it within the directory structure of the website. When a user goes to your page, the flash player on the client machine reads the .xml file to understand how to display the web pages/ music, and such.

Kristy
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 15:07
You would have to change you whole site to flash, to support that. For flash based websites, you typically download a template, and just configure it how you want. You would actually take an .mp3 file and save it within the directory structure of the website. When a user goes to your page, the flash player on the client machine reads the .xml file to understand how to display the web pages/ music, and such.

Yeah..... :) Way to complicated for me... that's why I have smugmug. Most of the difficult work is done for me... I'll just continue on as usual... maybe someone on their help forum can help me find a place to host the song so I can upload it without the Active X.

Thanks for your help. :)

macroshooter1970
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 15:20
I got the pop up, not a big deal. very relaxing, now i need some wine.

FlyingPhotog
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 15:21

It was litterally "What happens if I do this...?" holding the camera backwards at arms length, finding the * button blindly and hitting the shutter. Tried three but only nailed the eyes in one.

Like I said, I promise to never try that again... :oops:

We shall see what we shall see...

Love you dearly but nothing makes me run like hell from a website faster than music. Hate It, Hate It, Hate It (as a concept in general...) Usually because I'm already listening to something through my speakers and the conflict is jarring.

[quoteJerome next weekend?? Saturday?[/quote]

It's a plan by me...

Kristy
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 15:30
For all you panoramic photo-stitchers... :)

http://www.tempecamera.biz/product_p/workshop.htm
Tempe Camera Panoramic Photo Workshop with Kornelius Schorle’ (aka: "The Long Skinny Picture Guy")
Saturday, November 15th, 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM
at the Radisson Fort McDowell Resort and Casino
10438 N. Fort McDowell Rd.
Scottsdale/Fountain Hills, AZ
http://www.tempecamera.biz/v/vspfiles/templates/90/images/clear1x1.gifhttp://www.tempecamera.biz/v/vspfiles/templates/90/images/clear1x1.gif http://www.tempecamera.biz/v/vspfiles/templates/90/images/clear1x1.gifhttp://www.tempecamera.biz/v/vspfiles/templates/90/images/DBox_Border_Left_MidDiv.gifhttp://www.tempecamera.biz/v/vspfiles/templates/90/images/clear1x1.gifhttp://www.tempecamera.biz/v/vspfiles/templates/90/images/DBox_Border_Right_MidDiv.gifhttp://www.tempecamera.biz/v/vspfiles/templates/90/images/clear1x1.gifFeatures
Sponsored by Canon USA.

Workshop includes:
• 5 Hours of Workshop Instruction by Kornelius Schorle’
• Class to include Panoramic Photography Techniques
• Photo techniques High Dynamic Range (HDR)
• Photo stitch assist for Panoramic photos
• Adobe Photoshop & Photomatics software instruction for Panoramic Photos
• $25.00 Instant Rebate from Tempe Camera towards your next Canon purchase. Rebate valid through 12/08/08.
• Light refreshments for breakfast to include: Coffee & Danish. Bring your camera for hands-on photo instruction.

Kristy
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 15:38
I got the pop up, not a big deal. very relaxing, now i need some wine.
Thanks... I think it's relaxing.. I'm a huge music freak... so it's pretty much a deal maker for me. :)

I just need to figure out how to make the pop-up thing go away.

It was litterally "What happens if I do this...?" holding the camera backwards at arms length, finding the * button blindly and hitting the shutter. Tried three but only nailed the eyes in one. LOL..... you did good... I wouldn't post anything that close of my face without a little re-touching... so I admire you for being self assured... or something like that... lol...

Love you dearly but nothing makes me run like hell from a website faster than music. Hate It, Hate It, Hate It (as a concept in general...) Usually because I'm already listening to something through my speakers and the conflict is jarring.

I know, I know, I know.... I had this exact conversation with a guy on the smugmug forum.... blah, blah, blah.... I think it's a man problem. LOL...

I understanding that we all listen to our own music when browsing on the web.... but as a female gender influenced person... I "need" little soft touches in my life... I crave it, I want it... I'm so excited to have it... It totally completes my artistic expression of the images.... soft, sweet, lovely, emtional, etc...
I have a thing about piano music.... so this is just absolute for me. ...... Shall I go on? (lol)

So people may run as fast as they can because some Mozart is playing "softly" in the background.... or they can turn it off and view the slideshow.. or they can move on to another page because the music is only on the homepage... or they can turn off their own music for 30- seconds and get lost in the emotional experience I'm offering... ;).

Nothing like beating a dead horse, huh?

BrianAZ
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 17:12
Yeah..... :) Way to complicated for me... that's why I have smugmug. Most of the difficult work is done for me... I'll just continue on as usual... maybe someone on their help forum can help me find a place to host the song so I can upload it without the Active X.

Thanks for your help. :)

Uploading it won't matter. It will still try to run as an Active X control, which is basically imbedding the media player within the webpage.

I'd have to agree with Jay that I usually don't prefer websites that have music. That is why mine is turned off by default. I don't think I've ever gone to a website that had music that I didn't just close immediately. That is especially true if it happens while I'm at work.

If you change your mind, and want to see how incredibly easy flash is to use, let me know. It is ridiculously simple. Don't let domain name registration or hosting scare you. It is really pretty simple. The really great thing about the flash templates I use is that I can completely build and run the site on my home PC, because all I need to run it is a flash player. That way, I can get the website the way I want it before uploading the directory to the server where it is public. Honestly, I think it took me only a couple hours to build my site.

jbdavies
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 18:49
It was litterally "What happens if I do this...?" holding the camera backwards at arms length, finding the * button blindly and hitting the shutter. Tried three but only nailed the eyes in one.
What's the difference from hitting the * key instead of just holding down the shutter button half way? I still don't get the point of the * key...:confused:

FlyingPhotog
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 18:57
What's the difference from hitting the * key instead of just holding down the shutter button half way? I still don't get the point of the * key...:confused:

Never tried back button focus, eh?

Well, it's an aquired taste and I find it helps me track moving objects in Servo Focus but I don't have to worry about the exposure unitl the split second the shutter trips.

Also, if I don't want the camera to refocus between shots, I simply don't touch the * button and the focus stays where it was last set.

It takes some getting used to but in the right situations (IMO) it's the better way to go...

jbdavies
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 19:00

Well, it's an aquired taste and I find it helps me track moving objects in Servo Focus but I don't have to worry about the exposure unitl the split second the shutter trips.

Also, if I don't want the camera to refocus between shots, I simply don't touch the * button and the focus stays where it was last set.

It takes some getting used to but in the right situations (IMO) it's the better way to go...
Oooooooh! So, if you push that nifty button it wont re-focus between shots? That's pretty coolio. I'll have to play with it... maybe this weekend! :D

FlyingPhotog
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 19:01
Oooooooh! So, if you push that nifty button it wont re-focus between shots? That's pretty coolio. I'll have to play with it... maybe this weekend! :D

You have to set up the correct Cf however to enable the * button and swap it with Exposure Lock as well...

jbdavies
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 19:03
You have to set up the correct Cf however to enable the * button and swap it with Exposure Lock as well...
Oh.

Well now you're making it way to complicated. :p I guess this means I have to actually read the manual? :lol:

FlyingPhotog
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 19:04
Oh.

Well now you're making it way to complicated. :p I guess this means I have to actually read the manual? :lol:

Please, don't get up on my account:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46965

Just read...! :)

jbdavies
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 19:06
Please, don't get up on my account:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46965

Just read...! :)
HAHA! Sweet. Thanks. Good thing you found that. I don't even know where my manual thingy is. lol

FlyingPhotog
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 19:11
HAHA! Sweet. Thanks. Good thing you found that. I don't even know where my manual thingy is. lol

Are you able to come out and play next weekend?

jbdavies
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 19:14
Are you able to come out and play next weekend?
Ummmm.... most likely not. I'll be on 4 Peaks that whole day. :( Well... I guess I could actually not go... I mean, it's not like the 4 peaks are going anywhere. lol I don't know... I'll have to think about it. We going to Jerome?

FlyingPhotog
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 19:14
Ummmm.... most likely not. I'll be on 4 Peaks that whole day. :( Well... I guess I could actually not go... I mean, it's not like the 4 peaks are going anywhere. lol I don't know... I'll have to think about it. We going to Jerome?

That seems to be the game plan so far...

jbdavies
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 19:16
That seems to be the game plan so far...
Sweet! I'll see what I can do. What time you all gonna leave? Not 3-4 in the morning again... are you?! :p lol

FlyingPhotog
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 19:23
Sweet! I'll see what I can do. What time you all gonna leave? Not 3-4 in the morning again... are you?! :p lol

Don't see any reason to...

If we're going to http://www.goldkingmineghosttown.com/ they don't open til 9am to no point in going at the crack of dark. The streets of Jerome are kind of narrow so the light's tough until mid-day ish anyway.

If folks want to hang out till sundown or pop back over to Sedona instead, that's cool...

jbdavies
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 19:34
Don't see any reason to...

If we're going to http://www.goldkingmineghosttown.com/ they don't open til 9am to no point in going at the crack of dark. The streets of Jerome are kind of narrow so the light's tough until mid-day ish anyway.

If folks want to hang out till sundown or pop back over to Sedona instead, that's cool...
Looks pretty fun. You'd need a flash and tripod though, for the mine shaft.

jbdavies
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 21:40
RANDOM::

Has anyone driven to Kansas or driven somewhere farther than Kansas but went through Kansas?

I'm going to possibly be taking a trip there to visit a couple friends and was wondering if there are any sites that I should make sure I get to.

I'd be going through New Mexico (bleh), part of Texas and Oklahoma, then Kansas. This Route (http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1 dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=m&lat=36.07674&lon=-103.365415&zoom=7&q1=Payson%2C%20AZ%2C%2085541&q2=Iola%2C%20KS%2C%2066749)

So, does anyone know of any cool places that I should check out along that route? Or am I in for a extremely boring drive? lol

Az2Africa
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 21:49
I'ts pretty flat most of the way. Maybe some landscapes. But they DO have Tornados out there, so you may get to shoot one.;)

jbdavies
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 21:51
I'ts pretty flat most of the way. Maybe some landscapes. But they DO have Tornados out there, so you may get to shoot one.;)
That would be freaken sweet! I've always wanted to see a real tornado. :) But, I think I'll be going at the wrong time. It wont be till next year sometime. Late winter early spring.

hgsfrmme2u
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 23:18
It's really flat and boring. you're better off sleeping through Kansas ;) Last time I drove through that state was 7 years ago when I moved here. I was only 19 at the time so Maybe I just didn't appreciate the flatness of it :p

JmprSteve
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 23:22
I've driven thru Kansas a couple of times and that was a couple of times too many.
There's not much to see, but that was many years ago, then again, from what Becky has said it hasn't changed much!

FlyingPhotog
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 23:24
Obviously NM is gorgeous and I think you'll be pleasantly suprised by the pan handle of Oklahoma and northern Texas. Very pretty country and quite hilly...

Kansas? Yeah .. Flat .. Very Flat

Hatch1921
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 23:37
Obviously NM is gorgeous and I think you'll be pleasantly suprised by the pan handle of Oklahoma and northern Texas. Very pretty country and quite hilly...

Kansas? Yeah .. Flat .. Very Flat

Not sure if the NM statement is a joke ? :) LOL There are parts of the state which are very nice. I just finished the drive back down from Colorado Springs and just past Raton.... nothing to look at but grass and dirt.... you hit Albuquerque and just past there is........... more dirt and grass... and then just dirt. LOL The entire stretch from there to Flag was/is something I do not want to repeat. ROFL I'll make the trip again when I head to Lubbock in a couple of weeks. Now... that place is flat.

Where am I going with all of this babble? ROFL.... way to many hours on the road... headed to bed... have a fun weekend all.

Hatch

disneydork06
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 00:00

Has anyone driven to Kansas or driven somewhere farther than Kansas but went through Kansas?

I'm going to possibly be taking a trip there to visit a couple friends and was wondering if there are any sites that I should make sure I get to.

I'd be going through New Mexico (bleh), part of Texas and Oklahoma, then Kansas. This Route (http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1 dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=m&lat=36.07674&lon=-103.365415&zoom=7&q1=Payson%2C%20AZ%2C%2085541&q2=Iola%2C%20KS%2C%2066749)

So, does anyone know of any cool places that I should check out along that route? Or am I in for a extremely boring drive? lol
from what everyone else has been saying...good luck. :-D I drove from phx to Orlando and that drive was horrible. found out after heading back to phx that Texas is 880 miles long on I10...I was counting down right from the border of louisiana.

FlyingPhotog
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 01:03
Not sure if the NM statement is a joke ? :) LOL There are parts of the state which are very nice. I just finished the drive back down from Colorado Springs and just past Raton.... nothing to look at but grass and dirt.... you hit Albuquerque and just past there is........... more dirt and grass... and then just dirt. LOL The entire stretch from there to Flag was/is something I do not want to repeat. ROFL I'll make the trip again when I head to Lubbock in a couple of weeks. Now... that place is flat.

Where am I going with all of this babble? ROFL.... way to many hours on the road... headed to bed... have a fun weekend all.

Hatch

I happen to like the high plains grassy areas up along I40... :p

Yeah, it kinda sucks in places but it has a stark beauty all it's own.

So I'm confused...you're home again? Already? I thought you were going for months not hours...? ???

disneydork06
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 02:59
So I am hoping someone could help me? I saw what looked to be a bright star tonight, about south of the valley. But I think, cause it wasn't twinkling, that it was a planet. could anyone confirm or deny what I saw tonight? It was fairly bright and actually showed up in a couple photos of mine from the wedding I was at.
I've tried googling for the info but got too much jargon for me to process. thanks for any help anyone can provide.

BamPhoto
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 03:14

If you turn at sanders cut down towards St. Johns then Left to Zuni nm and then to Grants there is some great scenery and Ice caves, probably add 40 miles to the trip I believe. You go past El Moro and El Malpais National Parks.

http://www.nps.gov/elmo/ http://www.nps.gov/elma

Here are a few quick edits:
1.http://www.bamphoto.com/POTN/20080818_Pueblo_0065.jpg

2.http://www.bamphoto.com/POTN/20080818_Pueblo_0085.jpg

3.http://www.bamphoto.com/POTN/20080818_Pueblo_0094.jpg

4.http://www.bamphoto.com/POTN/20080818_Pueblo_0113.jpg

macroshooter1970
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 03:34

drove that route so many times. NM has some nice spots, miss living there in a way. After that it's flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat and boring. when are you leaving? Try these spots out.....El Malpais and El Morro National Monuments..Then stop in Abq at little anita's and have a few tacos for me, miss eating there every wed.

macroshooter1970
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 03:45
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/scenic-drive-in-new-mexico-historic-route-66-gax800.jpg

macroshooter1970
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 04:01
bisti badlands is cool, not sure if thats to far out your way.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=bisti%20badlands&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

macroshooter1970
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 04:17
So I am hoping someone could help me? I saw what looked to be a bright star tonight, about south of the valley. But I think, cause it wasn't twinkling, that it was a planet. could anyone confirm or deny what I saw tonight? It was fairly bright and actually showed up in a couple photos of mine from the wedding I was at.
I've tried googling for the info but got too much jargon for me to process. thanks for any help anyone can provide.

just looked and don't see anything, lets see a picture.

disneydork06
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 08:39
just looked and don't see anything, lets see a picture.can't post a pic w/o permission right now...i think...

Hatch1921
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 10:20
I happen to like the high plains grassy areas up along I40... :p

Yeah, it kinda sucks in places but it has a stark beauty all it's own.

So I'm confused...you're home again? Already? I thought you were going for months not hours...? ???

I lived in NM from 1978-1990.... there are very pretty/scenic places to see... you just have to drive. Similar to AZ but I think AZ has more to offer. The high plains... it just didn't do it for me... the high winds were pusing me all over the road and there wasn't anything to look at. LOL But... I can see how you could like it... it is peaceful....nothing around for miles.

A person in the family is ill....I shouldn't have been sent in the first place... I fought going all last week. So... I drove 1700+ miles to have 5 minute conversation.... I was released back to my base. You have to love it!

Glad to be back... just a little tired from the 4 days of driving. LOL

Nice shots Randy. I thought about pulling over a few times outside of Gallup for some shots... just pressed on. I'll take some shots in a couple of weeks since I'm headed that way again....to Lubbock to visit family.

Anyone been to Chaco Canyon? I went as a kid but haven't checked on how far it is from Gallup or Albuquerque.... would be cool to see with a little snow in the area.

Hatch

jbdavies
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 10:33
If you turn at sanders cut down towards St. Johns then Left to Zuni nm and then to Grants there is some great scenery and Ice caves, probably add 40 miles to the trip I believe. You go past El Moro and El Malpais National Parks.

http://www.nps.gov/elmo/ http://www.nps.gov/elma

Here are a few quick edits:
Oh cool! I'll have to look into all this.

Nice shots Randy! I can't decide which one I like best...

drove that route so many times. NM has some nice spots, miss living there in a way. After that it's flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat and boring. when are you leaving? Try these spots out.....El Malpais and El Morro National Monuments..Then stop in Abq at little anita's and have a few tacos for me, miss eating there every wed.
Hmmmm... sounds kinda fun! Thanks for all the ideas Mike. :)

Hatch1921
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 12:46
Holy crap! LOL This is my hometown I grew up in... http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=10589608&ch=4226714&src=news

If you have 4 minutes to watch the vid. It was sold to Homeland Security as and Anti-terrorism training town.

I haven't been there since 1998... crazy to see the same cop that I knew as a kid still there. A blast from the past. ROFL

260 homes in the middle of BFE.

Just thought I would share ... lol
Hatch

macroshooter1970
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 16:53
Anyone been to Chaco Canyon? I went as a kid but haven't checked on how far it is from Gallup or Albuquerque.... would be cool to see with a little snow in the area.

Hatch

I've visited chaco canyon, really nice place. It's about 3 1/2 hrs from ABQ, from gallup it's a little over 2hrs maybe 2 1/2

FlyingPhotog
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 16:54
Holy crap! LOL This is my hometown I grew up in... http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=10589608&ch=4226714&src=news

If you have 4 minutes to watch the vid. It was sold to Homeland Security as and Anti-terrorism training town.

I haven't been there since 1998... crazy to see the same cop that I knew as a kid still there. A blast from the past. ROFL

260 homes in the middle of BFE.

Just thought I would share ... lol
Hatch

Why the heck not? I mean if Kim Bassinger can buy a town, why not Uncle Sugar? ;)

FlyingPhotog
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 22:15
Ok folks, be Gentle as this is a major first for me (and my model...) but I'd like some feedback please:

5D + 50mm f/1.4 .. 1/125 @ f/5.6 ISO 100
Strobe + OctaBox High left/center , Speedlight through an umbrella camera right and bare Speedlight for the back splash

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/105676685/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/105676686/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/105676688/original.jpg

Hatch1921
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 22:40
Nice work Jay. I haven't tried photographing someone with glasses and I think you did a great job. No crazy reflections. Maybe a little under exposed... about 1/2 a stop? Then again... this could be what you are looking for?

They look great to me!
Hatch

FlyingPhotog
8th of November 2008 (Sat), 23:29
Nice work Jay. I haven't tried photographing someone with glasses and I think you did a great job. No crazy reflections. Maybe a little under exposed... about 1/2 a stop? Then again... this could be what you are looking for?

They look great to me!
Hatch

Thanks and I got your note...

Mucho Appreciado.

;)

Hatch1921
9th of November 2008 (Sun), 00:00
Thanks and I got your note...

Mucho Appreciado.

;)

YW :)

A few new shots posted... if you all are bored...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=597368

:)

Hatch

Hatch1921
9th of November 2008 (Sun), 00:01
I've visited chaco canyon, really nice place. It's about 3 1/2 hrs from ABQ, from gallup it's a little over 2hrs maybe 2 1/2

Thanks Mike. I went there when I was 11/12? Maybe I will head back to check it out one day.... it was cool from what I can remember.

Thanks for the info.
Hatch

disneydork06
9th of November 2008 (Sun), 08:53
nice shots jay. great job with the glasses. looks like you positioned the strobe high and yourself a bit low to get the reflections off the lenses? does look a bit dark but nothing a little curves will change.
how did you set off your 580's and your strobe? just curious. did you use the ste2 and then had your strobe use it's photocell? I've been thinking of trying that but wasn't sure if it'd work.

jbdavies
9th of November 2008 (Sun), 13:12
Good looking shots Jay. :) How was your trip to... that one place? lol

Hope everyone is having/had a good weekend!

I went quadding/off-roading/4 wheeling yesterday down in Sycamore creek area. That area is actually pretty amazing. :) If you go with a camera... make sure you have it sealed in an air-tight thing. SOOO much dust. I was literally 100% covered in dust... but it was fun. :)

Here is a shot that I took from my phone. Pretty cool area. :)
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/jbdavies/1108081500.jpg

hgsfrmme2u
9th of November 2008 (Sun), 15:30
I know it's a little late but here is one I really like from Halloween. Technically it was a few days after Halloween. It got dark too fast to get any good pictures on Halloween. i wasn't prepared.
I guess I should put one up of the boy too ;)

JmprSteve
9th of November 2008 (Sun), 19:28
Becky, cute images the first is a little to shallow depth of field for me.
Is the second image a Voltron character (it's been awhile since I watched those - a very long time) but it does remind me of many Saturday mornings watching the tube with my son.

hgsfrmme2u
9th of November 2008 (Sun), 21:15
He was Bumble Bee from transformers. I don't know what Voltron is :oops:

JmprSteve
9th of November 2008 (Sun), 21:28
I knew the logo was something familiar.
Voltron was a very long time ago, I'm actually surprised those brain cells are still kicking around. I watched the original transformers with my son as well.

disneydork06
9th of November 2008 (Sun), 22:25
He was Bumble Bee from transformers. I don't know what Voltron is :oops:
how could you not know voltron?!? I thought you grew up around the same time as me :-P
I knew the logo was something familiar.
Voltron was a very long time ago, I'm actually surprised those brain cells are still kicking around. I watched the original transformers with my son as well.
voltron wasn't that long ago...and I remember the original transformers as well. I even found a vhs tape (remember those? :-P) of an episode of the transformers.

FlyingPhotog
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 00:52
Posted a few from the zoo today at:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=597843

Kristy
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 00:59
Hey.... Sunday night and the washing machine is running full speed ahead... Have "one" glass of cabernet on my desk, and 10 Raw Almonds...

@ Jay...... Your lighting on the studio shots looks very nice. :) It is so difficult to avoid reflections on glasses... you did it seamlessly. :) YAY! She seems to be looking down towards you... I'd only like to see her eyes raised up a little bit (as if I could have done any better...lol). And I agree with the others that the exposure could bump just a wee bit.

Are these sooc? Do you want an edit?

@ Becky.... Darling kiddos... :) Love the little bumble costume... Your DOF is a little shallow... looks like her lips are your focal point... but it is sweet none the less... :)

Off and running for now. :)

FlyingPhotog
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 01:02
Hey.... Sunday night and the washing machine is running full speed ahead... Have "one" glass of cabernet on my desk, and 10 Raw Almonds...

Almonds? On a health kick or something? :p

@ Jay...... Your lighting on the studio shots looks very nice. :) It is so difficult to avoid reflections on glasses... you did it seamlessly. :) YAY! She seems to be looking down towards you... I'd only like to see her eyes raised up a little bit (as if I could have done any better...lol). And I agree with the others that the exposure could bump just a wee bit.

Are these sooc? Do you want an edit?

Semi SOOC... I did further tweaking and I did raise the exposure levels a bit as well as a wee bit of skin smoothing (with what talent I don't have for it) on the ones we chose as keepers. PM coming...

disneydork06
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 16:48
hey, does anyone know of a place here in the valley that can fix my 580ex flash? it's broken :-(

Kristy
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 16:53
Almonds? On a health kick or something? :p

Semi SOOC... I did further tweaking and I did raise the exposure levels a bit as well as a wee bit of skin smoothing (with what talent I don't have for it) on the ones we chose as keepers. PM coming...

YOu did good... :)

Not really a health kick... I like to eat almonds.... I just defer to 10 M7M's at night on occasion... but I've kind of let the chocolate go for a few weeks now... It was becomming more than 10 and that can turn into a problem. Lol...

Now that's my life story in an almond shell... ;)

Kristy
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 16:54
hey, does anyone know of a place here in the valley that can fix my 580ex flash? it's broken :-(

I can only think of photomark or tempe camera.... :(

disneydork06
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 17:07
thanks Kristy...I'll give them a call later this week

Hatch1921
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 17:44
thanks Kristy...I'll give them a call later this week

Ryan... I know Tempe Camera can perform the repairs... they wouldn't give me a quote without the looking at the flash. I took it apart and the flash tube is busted. So... if this is the case for yours... please let me know what they are going to charge. I need to get my 430 repaired.

Best of luck.
Hatch

Guerry Dalrymple
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 18:26
Jay

The shots of your lovely model are great. I don't know how you did the light and glasses but it shows me it can be done. Your 1st zoo shot is a realkeeper. I have tried getting the abstract lines from a zebra and didn't have much luck. This shot gets the lines and the cute factor. I have to share a shot I took a few years ago of your Mandrel friend. This one was shot with my old Digital Rebel and a Sigma 70-200 2.8 with a TC. He had just finished chasing and catching one of the females in the pen.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/WheelchairShooter/0707101106521male-mandrell_l.jpg

Hatch1921
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 19:10
The colors are wild looking Guerry. Cool shot!

Hatch

Hatch1921
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 19:10
Nice work Jay. Really enjoyed the Zebra shots.

Hatch

ScottDR
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 19:17
hey nice job with the shots! I'm game for that day as well...as long as I don't get any more work picked up to shoot that day :-) but you know maybe someone might have a house to use as a small studio and we could possibly find someone who wants some tfcd shots :-)
But yeah, I'm willing to travel as well...might need a ride though.

Thanks Ryan :). It'd be great to get out and do some more landscape/inanimate work. I will have to see if I can find people in OH to help me learn portrait work.

The wedding photos look great to me. It looks like you got all the important traditional shots and some really nice other poses. Lighting looked good to me but what do I know. I do know I like them. Wedding Photographer being added to the resume?

The land scape idea sounds good to me. especially since I have started learning to do panoramas. Saguaro NP and the old Mission sound good. I am trying to find someplace to shoot the Superstitions for a pano but can't seem to find it. I like the shapes from the west side but the lighting never seems right. Maybe someone know a way to get to shoot the east side at sun rise???

Thanks Guerry :D. I was mainly concerned with exposure of the subjects once the sun came out...super bright as usual :P. Anyway it was good for me to get up in front of people with a camera again!

As far as the Superstitions...I've hiked a good bit of Peralta and around/over to Weavers Needle with a friend who now moved away (in winter of course). For clean shots of the East side, I'd follow Jay's advice below. I gave up on the West because the power lines drive me nuts. Too much time in Photoshop to rid a shot of those for me.

I'd do Tucson as well but bear in mind that San Xavier (at least the west tower and west side) is covered in scaffolding right now and not very photogenic.

Guerry, the problem with the east side of the Superstitions is that the terrain slopes upward from east to west. From what little exploring I've done off of the Apache Trail, you need to get well into the spine between the summits and Weaver's Needle.

Now I was just doing a little Google Earth + Garmin Mapsource and it looks as if you can get a view of the SE side of the Superstitions from the road to the Peralta Trailhead which is off of US60. It appears to be roughly 2mi beyond the entrance to Gold Canyon and it would be on your left as you head toward Globe.

Wow, scaffolding-yuck! That's a great reason to steer clear, duly noted.

I'm still on for this Saturday if you all are. I am 5 pages back as we got back late last night so I'm going to keep on reading...

ScottDR
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 19:32

Woohoo! Terry showed me that at our Boyce Thompson outing this spring. I LOVE using that custom function! I use it about 90% of the time.

Ok, on to more catching up!

Hatch1921
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 21:07
From the trip... Pikes Peak Pano
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/3021085660_93ebf96070_b.jpg

Large version here...
LINK (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/3021085660_6f55397da3_o.jpg)

Hatch

jbdavies
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 21:32
Our winter storms are starting to come in... so that means CLOUDS!! :) Here's a shot (total of 3) that I took today at work. Couldn't pass it up. Thought it came out pretty good.

Thoughts?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/3020300661_c45e591885_b.jpg

disneydork06
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 22:17
Ryan... I know Tempe Camera can perform the repairs... they wouldn't give me a quote without the looking at the flash. I took it apart and the flash tube is busted. So... if this is the case for yours... please let me know what they are going to charge. I need to get my 430 repaired.

Best of luck.
Hatchnice, thanks...I took mine apart and now it doesn't even turn on anymore :-P but a new video game is coming out this week so idk how much time I'll be able to head out to tempe to get it looked at this week...:rolleyes:

disneydork06
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 23:08
nice shot jeremy...seems like a fun job if you can have your camera with you.

FlyingPhotog
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 23:08
Jay

The shots of your lovely model are great. I don't know how you did the light and glasses but it shows me it can be done. Your 1st zoo shot is a realkeeper. I have tried getting the abstract lines from a zebra and didn't have much luck. This shot gets the lines and the cute factor. I have to share a shot I took a few years ago of your Mandrel friend. This one was shot with my old Digital Rebel and a Sigma 70-200 2.8 with a TC. He had just finished chasing and catching one of the females in the pen.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/WheelchairShooter/0707101106521male-mandrell_l.jpg

Very nice Guerry... Colorful individual, that's for sure.

FlyingPhotog
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 23:09
Nice work Jay. Really enjoyed the Zebra shots.

Hatch

Thanks! :)

FlyingPhotog
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 23:10
From the trip... Pikes Peak Pano
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/3021085660_93ebf96070_b.jpg

Large version here...
LINK (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/3021085660_6f55397da3_o.jpg)

Hatch

Nice! Too bad some guy named Hatch carved his © in the rocks right in your frame... :p

FlyingPhotog
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 23:12
Our winter storms are starting to come in... so that means CLOUDS!! :) Here's a shot (total of 3) that I took today at work. Couldn't pass it up. Thought it came out pretty good.

Thoughts?

Did you attempt an HDR-esque treatment on this? Them be some pretty vibrant colors.

jbdavies
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 23:14
nice shot jeremy...seems like a fun job if you can have your camera with you.
Thanks! :) I went home and got my camera when I saw this. :)

Did you attempt an HDR-esque treatment on this? Them be some pretty vibrant colors.
I did. Did I make it too.... "fake"?

FlyingPhotog
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 23:19
I did. Did I make it too.... "fake"?

Lemme put it this way...

I just spoke to the EPA and they estimate that humans will be able to once again walk on that soil in about 10,000 years...

Honestly, it works for the sky and the trees which can definately be that vibrant and saturated but on the red bricks of the church and the dead grass, (IMO), it's too much.

jbdavies
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 23:23
Lemme put it this way...

I just spoke to the EPA and they estimate that humans will be able to once again walk on that soil in about 10,000 years...

Honestly, it works for the sky and the trees which can definately be that vibrant and saturated but on the red bricks of the church and the dead grass, (IMO), it's too much.
HAHAHAHA! It does look pretty orange/red on here. lol Doesn't look like that in PS.

I'll see what I can do to make it look less... toxic. :p

ScottDR
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 23:26
Frank, glad you are back (sorry about the quick trip, been there, done that when I moved here). Up for an outing to Jerome this weekend? Nice pano for sure and I loved your shots of Karra. You three make a great team. For some reason #5 was my favorite with the evenness of the lighting on her and the subdued blue sky BG. I found the difference in the lighting of her legs in #6 a little bit distracting to my eye-but that's minor.

Jay, great job on the shots with your lighting setup-you have so many options now that I can't imagine. Also really enjoyed the zoo shots...and 'the boss' truly has dizzying fur around his head. Guerry you had a nice capture of him as well...can't stare long though. :)

Becky, the costumes were great. I do agree the DOF was a bit shallow on the first but still a nice capture.

LOL @ Jay for his EPA statement on Jeremy's shot. Tone them down a bit and I think it will be a nice shot. The sky is terrific as it stands Jeremy.

Yay, all caught up :). That is, except I need to go look at Kristy's new changes to her site. But not tonight, I'm exhausted. Good night all.

jbdavies
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 23:40
This better?

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/jbdavies/6daa556f.jpg

Hmmm... I can't really tell a difference. lol DAMN!:mad:

Hatch1921
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 23:42
Nice! Too bad some guy named Hatch carved his © in the rocks right in your frame... :p

I don't know why I did that... ROFL ...

Frank, glad you are back (sorry about the quick trip, been there, done that when I moved here). Up for an outing to Jerome this weekend? Nice pano for sure and I loved your shots of Karra. You three make a great team. For some reason #5 was my favorite with the evenness of the lighting on her and the subdued blue sky BG. I found the difference in the lighting of her legs in #6 a little bit distracting to my eye-but that's minor.

Many thanks Scott. I might make the trip to Jerome...never been.

Glad you like the Karra shots... we had fun.:D I just hope she is pleased with the session. Time will tell.

Thanks again,
Hatch

Hatch1921
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 23:42
Wild looking shot Jeremy. Intense color!

Hatch

jbdavies
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 23:44
Wild looking shot Jeremy. Intense color!

Hatch
Thanks Hatch. :)

Looked at your pano on flickr. Great shot. It's really crisp even at the full size. :)

Hatch1921
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 23:47
Thanks Hatch. :)

Looked at your pano on flickr. Great shot. It's really crisp even at the full size. :)

Thanks... I need to remove the "Hatch 2008" off the rocks... LOL ...

just a quick series of shots before I got on the road back to Phoenix.

FlyingPhotog
11th of November 2008 (Tue), 00:13
Freakin' Cardinals...

I thought they'd found another way to blow a ballgame...

Jeez... :rolleyes:

disneydork06
11th of November 2008 (Tue), 01:18
Freakin' Cardinals...

I thought they'd found another way to blow a ballgame...

Jeez... :rolleyes:almost...but they DIDN'T lose. that's what matters :-) 4 games up and 3 games over .500. can't ask for more right now. :-)

FlyingPhotog
11th of November 2008 (Tue), 03:17
@ Guerry...

Can't remember if I shared this Mandrill or not:
(From the Denver Zoo .. shot back in September)
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/103296760/original.jpg

BamPhoto
11th of November 2008 (Tue), 11:34
Just wondering Who is going to Jerome?
Have to Fly to Portland and back on Wednesday and will probably hangout in the area until Saturday.
I have 580EXII, 420EX, Nikon SB-26 SB-28 and 3 Vivitar 285 HV's and 3 Sensor strobes for any flash if we are going to shoot in the mine?

FlyingPhotog
11th of November 2008 (Tue), 12:07
Just wondering Who is going to Jerome?
Have to Fly to Portland and back on Wednesday and will probably hangout in the area until Saturday.
I have 580EXII, 420EX, Nikon SB-26 SB-28 and 3 Vivitar 285 HV's and 3 Sensor strobes for any flash if we are going to shoot in the mine?

I intend to go (I think the Mrs is coming too but she's into the art shopping up there...)

Hmmmmm, hadn't really considered shooting IN the mine. :shock:

TammieO
11th of November 2008 (Tue), 12:08
I'm enjoying the zoo critters (the photos :lol:).
Jay, I shared your pics from Casa Grande with one of our maintenance techs. He was there and is looking at buying one of the experimental aircraft. He really enjoyed looking at your gallery!
As of this moment, I'll be heading for Jerome with y'all on Saturday. Hopefully, all my tools cooperate. Back to work now. ;)

disneydork06
11th of November 2008 (Tue), 15:20
I might be able to head to Jerome as well.