PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor 320GB External (help)

caseyjohnphotography
1st of October 2008 (Wed), 23:41
Yo Potn,

I purchased a Maxtor 320GB External HD from Officeworks, Brisbane, Australia around 2 years ago (out of warrenty) It all of a sudden **** itself and i need to get all my data off it, it would be around 80-100gbs of photography on there.

Anyone know where i can go and get it done, i took it to a shop called 'Quicksmart Computers' at the Gold Coast and they said all the data is still definetly on there, but the drive itself is dead.

Help and things on what to do or any advice would be so much help as im extremely worried about loosing my data :(

Thanks POTN!

egordon99
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 08:17
Did "Quicksmart Computers" recommend a place to take it to? Weird that they were able to confirm that the data is there but couldn't give you any more information.

Well I guess you'll get a good backup system together now. Good luck!

Michael_Lambert
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 08:23
When one of our servers crashed out on us the harddive mechanially failed the data was still there just the drive controllers where pooched.. We sent it off to this company (http://www.datarecovery.net/) whom removed the data disk from the drive and recovered the data we needed back. Was not cheap to my understanding.

caseyjohnphotography
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 09:18
Yer how much was it, few computer places have told me that they probably can do it but about $2,000

partsman
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 09:18
I had the same Maxtor drive die on me. Most of the time its the controller for the hard drive and not the drive itself. If your comfortable with this sort of thing you can take the Maxtor case apart, remove the hard drive and install it in a new hard drive enclosue you can pick up at a computer store. Another possibility is to install it as an internal hard drive on your computer if you have an open space.

neil_g
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 09:26
as above if its an external drive, pull the case apart and put the disk into a PC.

although with maxtor it is quite likely to be a mechanical failure rather than the enclosure. ive had nothing but hassle with maxtor drives (internal units) and id strongly urge people to avoid.

if it is a mechanical fault youll probably need to pay someone to recover it. depends how much value you put on your data really.

jjaenagle
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 09:29
if the hard drive is still working, then just take it out of the enclosure and
1: buy a new enclosure
2: take it to a store to get it off
3: put it in another computer to get it off

It really isnt that hard to get the hard drive out... just a few screws and then you can see how it will fit into another computer/ enclosure. Just make sure its the same interface... ide or sata most likely and im thinking its a sata.

If you need more help, let me know. I build computers as another hobby of mine :)

-----------------------------------
iF it's the hard drive itself, you would have to take it to a place that specializes in data recovery.... or you can take the entire hard drive apart and replace whatever is broken....

neil_g
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 09:33
or you can take the entire hard drive apart and replace whatever is broken....

if it gets to that stage id say send it off. youd kick yourself for knackering a platter through not knowing what youre doing.

jjaenagle
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 09:39
yea definitely! I have had some hard drives die on me and never even thought about opening the actual drive to fix....

but now that i think about it... i didnt have anything and all i did was give them away so it could have been a fun diy project for something :)

Yea, if your afraid of taking the hdd out of the enclosure, dont even take it apart if you do manage to get it out... but like i said, getting it out of the enclosure is the easy part... kinda like taking a computer apart but less stuff!

And since the warranty is already gone, done worry about voiding the warranty thing. I helped a friend replace a 200 gig drive with a 500 and all he did was pay under $100 for the hard drive instead of $300+ that the company was selling them for!

neil_g
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 09:43
yup, absolutely rip it out of the external enclosure. thats easy, couple of screws and plastic clippings normally.

tim
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 16:15
Fingers crossed it's just the enclosure. Take it out, put it in your PC, and see.

Guess you learned your lesson about backups, let's hope others can learn from your mistakes too. Yes you're going to be paying a lot of money to get it back if it's not the enclosure. Sorry I can't recommend any places in Australia, maybe you should ask around locally.

MaxxuM
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 18:28
Yer how much was it, few computer places have told me that they probably can do it but about $2,000

The drive controller is not on/in the enclosure - its on the drive itself. I've sent drives off for recovery and a quote just to 'look' at a drive is around $400 and if they can fix it the added price will be from $200-$2000. What I usually do 'before' sending it off is to find an exact hard drive (model) and replace the controller myself. Its actually pretty easy (Google it) and if it doesn't work then you have a problem inside the drive which will cost you at least $1000 to fix. And be WARNED, even if it is recovered most often most of the data will just come back as files and numbers. Drives that I've gotten back DIR look like this.

C:\DIR

DIRECTORY1
DIRECTORY2
FILE0001
FILE0002

And so on....

caseyjohnphotography
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 19:27
Wow, im only 16 and this is confusing

i take the maxtor case off, done that its in a metal mesh, do i take that case off?

Moppie
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 19:29
Wow, im only 16 and this is confusing

i take the maxtor case off, done that its in a metal mesh, do i take that case off?

Post a photo :)

jjaenagle
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 20:32
well if you took it out of the enclosure, you now have the hard drive... if you can, plug it into your computer and see if it will load the hard drive and if it can then good.

if not, then you will probably have to send it in.

Maxxum.. can you find a couple links to what you are talking about? or at least some pics.

MaxxuM
2nd of October 2008 (Thu), 21:10
Here (http://ev.mu/hard-disk/index.php) is a page off my Bookmarks. It really is pretty easy to do. The hardest part is finding the right tool which in most cases is a TORX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx) type driver. The drive is connected via one or two connectors (depending on manufacture/type) which is easy to break if you are not careful. Then place the new on in its place - just make sure it is the same model (in some cases other models can be used but should only be used by someone that knows what they are doing).

jjaenagle
3rd of October 2008 (Fri), 10:06
cool. thanks maxxum!

You can probably get a really cheap torx tool set from a hardware department store. I have a big set that has both american and european standards as well as torx and all that jazz.

Its very handy when working with computers.

But, if you are still a little scared of taking the hdd apart, find someone who actually works on computers. I think i saw a post here or at another forum where someone sent a bad hdd to another poster.

i'll look it up for you.

caseyjohnphotography
3rd of October 2008 (Fri), 17:03
thanks

neil_g
4th of October 2008 (Sat), 12:46
Here (http://ev.mu/hard-disk/index.php) is a page off my Bookmarks.

Not Found

The requested URL /hard-disk/index.php was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

:?:

tim
4th of October 2008 (Sat), 19:17
If you get that type cache:URL into google

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fev.mu%2Fhard-disk%2Findex.php

Change index.php to index2.php etc to read the other pages.

neil_g
5th of October 2008 (Sun), 16:50
images dont work tho

tim
5th of October 2008 (Sun), 16:51
Nope, so only limited help. Better than nothing.

BottomBracket
5th of October 2008 (Sun), 17:29
This gadget (http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?kbid=1030&q=p%3A10504271&SSAID=101512) allows you to operate a hard disk through USB without need for an enclosure. Very handy.

tim
5th of October 2008 (Sun), 17:34
There's all sorts of variations on that kind of thing. I have an SATA to ESATA dock made by Wiebetech (http://www.wiebetech.com). ESata is much faster than USB. I have an adapter that lets me use ESATA, it just plugs into an SATA port and provides a cable in the back of the PC, and the right cord. Came free with an enclosure.

BottomBracket
5th of October 2008 (Sun), 18:08
Most of the new computer cases out there have an eSata port that have a jack that plugs into the motherboards Sata header. The gadget that I linked to allows you to connect a bare hard drive to your computer via the USB port without need for an enclosure. Very handy if you just want to upload/download from a bare hard drive with minimal set up.

OdiN1701
8th of October 2008 (Wed), 14:08
Never buy Maxtor.

I used to manage a computer repair shop. We kept the bad hard drives out of customers computers, and they ended up stacked up (we could use parts to fix others sometimes).

The stack of dead Maxtor hard drives was larger than all other brands combined.

I'll never buy one.

caseyjohnphotography
9th of November 2008 (Sun), 17:39
well guys sorry i havn't updated this yet

but i got my hdd back from 'Ontrack Data Recovery' with absolutetly 100% everything back

now have a number of HDD's all backed up!
final cost was 1558$ incl. a 250GB Lacie HDD

MaxxuM
9th of November 2008 (Sun), 18:02
well guys sorry i havn't updated this yet

but i got my hdd back from 'Ontrack Data Recovery' with absolutetly 100% everything back

now have a number of HDD's all backed up!
final cost was 1558$ incl. a 250GB Lacie HDD11

Grats on getting your info back! Just don't forget the first three rules of computers.... 1) Backup 2) Backup 3) Backup ;)

neil_g
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 05:52

Grats on getting your info back! Just don't forget the first three rules of computers.... 1) Backup 2) Backup 3) Backup ;)

4 rules..

4) dont buy maxtor hard disks.

;)

Jcrompton
10th of November 2008 (Mon), 06:12
well if you took it out of the enclosure, you now have the hard drive... if you can, plug it into your computer and see if it will load the hard drive and if it can then good.

if not, then you will probably have to send it in.

Maxxum.. can you find a couple links to what you are talking about? or at least some pics.

Another possibility is an external USB to EIde SATA adapter they can be found for around $20. I found one at http://www.cooldrives.com/saandidehadr1.html its $49 but does it all. This allows you totest or use any hard drive externally without having to go into your PC.

caseyjohnphotography
13th of November 2008 (Thu), 05:54
hahha yer i have them on 2 EXT HDD's im going to also get a 1TB WD.