PDA

View Full Version : Star trails over light house

9deuce9rr
8th of October 2008 (Wed), 22:56
Went down to a hotel downtown and took this pic of their lighthouse suite. didn't come out as good as i was hoping. i learned how hard it is to do a pano and have to clone in some trails

159 separate 30sec exposures stacked together in PS, then pano'd on top of a shot of the lighthouse, which was shot after all the star photos
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/817/bellwetherlighthousestaou1.jpg

Celestron
9th of October 2008 (Thu), 09:06
Very nice except one thing , your signature right in the middle of the star trails :( . That really kind of shuns it some . I would place it somewhere not as obvious .

9deuce9rr
9th of October 2008 (Thu), 11:27
that was kind of the whole concept :P i've had photos used without my permission before so i figured if all the ones i posted had that there, it would deter it? *hopefully* :P

acchildress
9th of October 2008 (Thu), 12:02
I like the shot alot.

But if you're really trying to keep people from stealing your photos you've got to figure out something else on this one. Where it's placed it can be painted out in under a min. So it's ineffective and really spoils a great image.

Ook
9th of October 2008 (Thu), 21:05
I kind of liked the signature placement actually :D

Love the shot. The lighthouse looks quite overexposed, but otherwise, great!

KaseyK
24th of October 2008 (Fri), 15:23
great shot

ali kirk
11th of November 2008 (Tue), 09:44
I like the shot alot.

But if you're really trying to keep people from stealing your photos you've got to figure out something else on this one. Where it's placed it can be painted out in under a min. So it's ineffective and really spoils a great image.

I agree in part - signature can be removed with a little patience.
Hope you don't mind - I've cloned out your signature (30secs in CS3!!) but will share with you a little trick that can prove ownership of the shot - a subtle marking that only the author of the shot - and possibly the property owner will recongnise. this alteration will not stop people stealing your shot - but will prove you own the shot should someone decide to make it their own.

look at the copied image below - notice anything different from your original ?(apart from missing signature)

BTW good work!!

Jeff
11th of November 2008 (Tue), 16:30
You also took out a couple of blue dots?

ali kirk
12th of November 2008 (Wed), 01:39
Nope - look at the main building.........

Nice Glass
12th of November 2008 (Wed), 13:47
An extra window :)

ali kirk
12th of November 2008 (Wed), 16:35
anything else?

izthistaken
12th of November 2008 (Wed), 16:47
I can't see anything else different.:o It might be this crappy monitor at work.

ali kirk
13th of November 2008 (Thu), 11:10
Alterations - pink - added information
Green - added signatures using eyedropper sample tool for covert ink colour. The signatures are hard to see on this low resolution copy- and seem to blend away more and more with every opening of image (downside of jpegs)
Like I said earlier - these alterations will not stop people claiming your work as their own - but are extremely helpfull to prove that YOU own the shot should it come to a legal debate as you can show the original "au-natural" work and your modified display version.
In this day and age of modern miracles of computing power -there is very little a photographer can do to protect their work when displayed on line - anybody determined to steal your work will be able to bypass most sorts of anti-copyright markings / protection. By all means (as I sometimes do) add a copy right marking or your own signature to a piece - to deter most people from copying your work - but I also spend 10 - 15mins adding a few little additions / subtractions to it to make it my own. this could be removing a chimney pot - removing a letter box - adding and extra satellite dish - changing a door handle from left to right etc etc and adding a few well blended signatures into the image. As the previous few posts have proved - even a photographers scrutinizing eye cannot always see the subtle changes.

TekHouse
13th of November 2008 (Thu), 18:04
Thats cool..I picked the window and the door but missed the rest..Thanks for this I am going to use it in my online photos from now on. :)

boostedmechanic
13th of November 2008 (Thu), 18:48
i looked at the pic and thought to myself that looks very familiar. then i realized it was the bellweather. good to see a bellingham shot on here. i have always wanted to through a party in that hotel room/lighthouse. the light house does look a bit over exposed but still a very cool shot.

9deuce9rr
17th of November 2008 (Mon), 03:15
thanks again... i haven't been online for a while, been getting my a$$ kicked between school/work and just randomly saw this page updated a few days ago :P

and thanks for the ideas ali... i'll have to put some of that into use in the future. my signature was a brief deterrent, though i knew how quick/easy it would be to clone it out.

boosted: i've been wanting to do the same thing sooo bad before i graduate! i guess it's like a grand a night tho.... so i'll hafta plan on recruiting a fairly large bunch of people :P