PDA

View Full Version : New Ram New H/D

russellsnr2
11th of October 2008 (Sat), 13:20
Hi, Hope in the correct forum.
I have purchased 160GB SATA to use as a scratch disk, do I use the whole drive as a scratch disk or only part and if only part do I need to partition or can I just format it and make a folder to use as scratch.
Also I got 2 X 2GB ram (already got 2 X 512 installed), now I have read online that win XP will only use up to 4GB ram does this include when you have photoshop installed?.
Many Thanks in advance.

HankScorpio
11th of October 2008 (Sat), 13:40
Win XP and any 32 bit OS can only address around 3.5GB. It doesn't matter what software you use, it's a limitation of the 32 bit addressing.

As for the scratch disk, just format it and then use it for whatever purpose you like as long as you don't fill it, PS will use it to swap data to.

V8Rumble
12th of October 2008 (Sun), 21:32
Incorrect. Windows can only address 4 GB. Video cards take up that addressing. 512mb card will leave you 3.5GB. A 1GB card will leave you 3 GB. Some sounds cards have a few megs, same with motherboards but you get the idea.

Zepher
13th of October 2008 (Mon), 00:01
Incorrect. Windows can only address 4 GB. Video cards take up that addressing. 512mb card will leave you 3.5GB. A 1GB card will leave you 3 GB. Some sounds cards have a few megs, same with motherboards but you get the idea.

My 4GB and a 512meg 9800GT shows 3.25GB (I have an Audigy 2ZS as well, the ones below use onboard audio).
A clients machine I just built, 4GB and 512meg 9600GT shows 3.0GB
My friends machine that I just fixed has a 512meg 8600GT and his shows 3.5GB

Partition that 160 into a 30Gig and 130Gig partition. Create the 30gig partition first, this will put it to the outer edges of the platter, which is the fastest part of the drive.

tim
13th of October 2008 (Mon), 04:09
Partition that 160 into a 30Gig and 130Gig partition. Create the 30gig partition first, this will put it to the outer edges of the platter, which is the fastest part of the drive.

What do you propose they put on this first partition? AFAIK if you use windows the OS tends to go on there, not sure if it has to or not.

Zepher
13th of October 2008 (Mon), 13:11
What do you propose they put on this first partition? AFAIK if you use windows the OS tends to go on there, not sure if it has to or not.

Well, he said he bought a 160gig drive for a scratch disc, so it sounds like he is adding another drive to his system.

If you were doing a new windows install on a new drive, then you would make a 30gig partition and a 60-130gig partition (depending on how large you wanted your OS partition). You don't format the 30gig partition at all, only the other one, then install windows, then after windows is finished installing, you will go to disk management and format the 30gig partition and then use that as your scratch disk.

HankScorpio
13th of October 2008 (Mon), 13:17
I'd never partition a drive. I can't see that partitions do anything that folders don't. Using a partition as a scratch disk when the OS and application are on the same physical drive gives no performance increase over just using a single partition.

Partitions were only useful when drives were bigger than the OS could read.