PDA

View Full Version : Jumping on the Moon Wagon

Nighthound
15th of October 2008 (Wed), 22:22
Here's a full Luna but not recent. Taken when I had the 10" LX200 with my 20D.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Nighthd/Astrophotography/Lunar%20Photography/flmn-1.jpg

funhouse69
15th of October 2008 (Wed), 22:33
That is awesome!!!

Nighthound
16th of October 2008 (Thu), 17:26
Thanks funhouse. Greatly appreciate it.

Dusty
16th of October 2008 (Thu), 17:32
Now THAT is a Moon shot.
Well done Steve, as always.

Tonal range and detail is fantastic.

DragonSpeed
16th of October 2008 (Thu), 17:36
Damn I want a big scope! (big but at the same time small enough that I don't need a small crane to move it from A to B :) )

Very nice sharp detail. As is expected from the quality shots you post up.

rowdyred94
16th of October 2008 (Thu), 19:00
Very nice. I was looking at the LX200 on ebay recently. To dream!

Nighthound
16th of October 2008 (Thu), 20:46
Thanks dusty, DragonSpeed and Clint.

Dragon, The main reason I sold my LX200 was because I herniated a disc in my spine. Not during set up but while loading my gear for a trip to dark skies. The 10" LX200 is manageable for standard set up. Lifting it onto a wedge is what scared me after my injury. The LX200s are great scopes, especially for visual use but they are heavy and the tube and fork mount are one piece so there's only one way to set it up. It wasn't bad as long as I didn't have to walk too far to the tripod but just not worth re injuring my self over. So I got myself a Losmandy G-11 and scopes I can switch out on it and nothing is much over 12-18 pounds, the G-11 head being the heaviest. Set up is a piece of cake, the hard part is getting the shots. :D

black_z
17th of October 2008 (Fri), 11:41
Very nice! :)

zeva
17th of October 2008 (Fri), 20:56
were u using tracking?

Nighthound
17th of October 2008 (Fri), 21:32
Thanks Black_z and zeva.

zeva, yes this scope was equipped with computer tracking and at around 2000 millimeter it certainly doesn't hurt to have it but I've taken many shots well over 1000mm with another scope and done very well even when using eyepieces to boost the magnification when using my point and shoot camera. When the Moon is in such an illuminated phase the exposures are a fraction of a second, actually the same as some some shots I've taken of birds hand holding the camera and lens.

Here are some shots taken with no tracking at all. Taken with a 5" AR5 Meade refractor using a 4 mgpxl point and shoot camera attached to a 20mm eyepiece.:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Nighthd/Astrophotography/Lunar%20Photography/View-2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Nighthd/Astrophotography/Lunar%20Photography/View.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Nighthd/Astrophotography/Lunar%20Photography/northluna.jpg

And an even more extreme example would be this shot taken with the same telescope but using a 2mgpxl point and shoot camera, hand held up to the eyepiece and again with no tracking:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Nighthd/Astrophotography/Lunar%20Photography/Test/lunamars.jpg

Clare624
18th of October 2008 (Sat), 21:59
WOW!!! Excellent crater detail!!!

SlowBlink
18th of October 2008 (Sat), 22:16
I knew I was going to want a scope three seconds after clicking on this thread. :) Great shots as always Steve. Sorry to hear about the back, that's a very uncomfortable injury.

funhouse69
18th of October 2008 (Sat), 22:19
I knew I was going to want a scope three seconds after clicking on this thread. :) Great shots as always Steve. Sorry to hear about the back, that's a very uncomfortable injury.

lol - It didn't take this thread to make me want a scope... I saw some of the other posts. They are amazing and I am very jealous.

Nighthound
18th of October 2008 (Sat), 22:50
Thanks Clare, Rob and Funhouse.

Don't have to own a scope to get started. A camera and a couple lenses will get you some nice shots, especially if you have dark skies.

funhouse69
18th of October 2008 (Sat), 22:54
Thanks Clare, Rob and Funhouse.

Don't have to own a scope to get started. A camera and a couple lenses will get you some nice shots, especially if you have dark skies.

I agree with that 100%, I've posted some of my results here and I have been very impressed with that simple combination but that is a bridge (for me anyway) to wanting to buy a scope. I was close to pulling the trigger but I think I am going to get the Canon 500mm f/4L next year instead. I assume that will be pretty good on a crop body with a 1.4 or 2x TC :-)

Nighthound
18th of October 2008 (Sat), 23:04
I agree with that 100%, I've posted some of my results here and I have been very impressed with that simple combination but that is a bridge (for me anyway) to wanting to buy a scope. I was close to pulling the trigger but I think I am going to get the Canon 500mm f/4L next year instead. I assume that will be pretty good on a crop body with a 1.4 or 2x TC :-)

I won't argue with that "L"ogic, I've been on the brink of pulling the trigger on a 500L for over a year now, darn economy has given me pause. Once you have that lens all you'll need is a German Equatorial mount and you'll be able to shoot some nice deep sky and Lunar shots. The TC will only mean that you'll need a more accurate/expensive mount for long exposures. 500mm is plenty for astrophotobgraphy, I shoot a lot at 400.