PDA

View Full Version : Need help for a theater performance promo

gnats50
18th of October 2008 (Sat), 21:58
Hey,
I have the privilege of shooting for promotional posters for a friend's Senior Theater Project (STP). I will be shooting the actors, mostly as a group (only group portraits).

Here is the details from her,"My show is particularly artsy and out of the ordinary from what most people do for their STP. Also I wrote the script. I want my posters to convey that it is different, and really strike people's attention. I want to shoot the photos in the down town brick alleys and on the stairs that go up the side of the buildings."

She wants to shoot at 5pm.
Basically, the location is in the downtown part of a very small Midwestern city. There are 2 story brick buildings that are around 100 years old.

Any ideas on what would be interesting or cool? Something to draw attention from the students as they pass by the poster.

Also, my only gear is a 40D, EF 28-135mm, and the EF 50mm f/1.4

Thanks for your help.

S.Horton
19th of October 2008 (Sun), 19:29
Do you have any lighting gear? Flashes/umbrellas? If so, I think that will help you to get something solid in those locations.

BTW, here's one idea I've seen done and always wanted to try. (Can't recall where.....)

In the dark, or by severely underexposing at dusk -- Set up on a tripod, remote release, mirror lockup, ~30 sec exposures -- Get the subjects in various places on the stairs or in the alley, paint light on them with a cheap spotlight, then combine the shots in post.

In general, you could also search Google images on Light Painting, and there you'll get dozens of creative ideas, too!

Enjoy!

gnats50
20th of October 2008 (Mon), 00:43
BTW, here's one idea I've seen done and always wanted to try. (Can't recall where.....)

In the dark, or by severely underexposing at dusk -- Set up on a tripod, remote release, mirror lockup, ~30 sec exposures -- Get the subjects in various places on the stairs or in the alley, paint light on them with a cheap spotlight, then combine the shots in post.

In general, you could also search Google images on Light Painting, and there you'll get dozens of creative ideas, too!

Enjoy!

Hey, thanks for the cool idea. I may try this!
Unfortunately, I do not have access to any lighting gear :(
I only have a 40D body and 2 lenses. That's it :cry:

Any other ideas, anyone?