PDA

View Full Version : Need Help/Advise with Photo

MaTeR MaN
20th of October 2008 (Mon), 23:52
I am trying to fix the extremely blown sky. I realize a ND filter would do the trick, but I do not have one currently. Is there another way around this in post processing? If so, can someone show me the steps, or at least tweak it yourself? Also, is there a metering or exposure trick around this w/o having to use a ND filter? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq114/lookatthatshine/desotostream.jpg

krb
21st of October 2008 (Tue), 00:11
Take two shots, one exposed like you have now and and the other exposed for the sky, then merge the two in photoshop. You couldalso do the same, maybe with a third that gets a better exposure of the rocks, using HDR software like photomatix.

neilwood32
21st of October 2008 (Tue), 07:19
1) Shoot RAW ( some of those blown pixels MAY be recoverable in RAW conversion - ACR can be just under 2 stops)
2) Use a gradient filter in your PP package. Make a selection of the sky and apply the filter ( i think they are under effects- not sure as im at work and no access to photoshop).

Ideal answer is to reshoot with 2 exposures as KRB has suggested.

MaTeR MaN
21st of October 2008 (Tue), 15:07
Will try it out, thanks for the advise both of you.

The_Camera_Poser
21st of October 2008 (Tue), 18:54
I really dont like heaps of post processing, so in these conditions I use the spot meter and exposure lock to expose for the sky, and then lighten up the foreground a bit in Photoshop. If the first shot is too dark on the LCD, I'll adjust it a bit with exposure compensation.

LindaB
22nd of October 2008 (Wed), 16:26
I really dont like heaps of post processing, so in these conditions I use the spot meter and exposure lock to expose for the sky, and then lighten up the foreground a bit in Photoshop. If the first shot is too dark on the LCD, I'll adjust it a bit with exposure compensation.

My sentiments exactly. I would expose in a couple of different places, for example as you suggest above, but also I would expose for the yellow patch on the upper right of the photo below the sky there and see how that came out, and also possibly use exposure compensation and see what that did as well.

Linda

JuiceBox
27th of October 2008 (Mon), 13:13
I would think it would be easier to do it in post processing rather than using a filter. A gradient ND filter can limit where you place your horizon. If you shoot RAW (which I don't see why one wouldn't) then you can always take two shots, like others have suggested, or take multiple exposures (3-5) and do a HDR shot.

hawkeye60
27th of October 2008 (Mon), 13:37
Used a selective color layer to make the white sky blue. Then used a screen layer mask to lighten the lower portion of the photo. Not perfect but better...