PDA

View Full Version : Some advice for shooting a conference!

NathanS
27th of October 2008 (Mon), 01:29
Hey I have been asked to do some photography for a christian conference that is happening at a church where I live. There will be a band/speakers and obviously a congregation. I have no experience doing anything like this before, and was wondering if people could give me advice on how to shoot it. I have a 20d with a 25-80 mm lens.

johnstoy
29th of October 2008 (Wed), 10:34
What's the aperture range of the 25-80? Any other lens available? Do you have a flash? Will a flash be OK to use at the church? Is this a daytime or nighttime event? Is the interior of the church fairly well lighted?

I wasn't allowed to use a flash in a church once... Had to shoot by candle light...

You'll need a fast lens, hopefully with IS (Image Stabilization)...

You'll also need to shoot at a higher ISO... 1000, 1250, and most likely at 1600.

René Damkot
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 15:07
I'm guessing 25-80 is a typo. Canon never made a 25mm-whatever lens. (Nor did anyone else AFAIK).

I agree with Johnstoy: ISO 1600 is probably needed.
If you can use a tripod, it might be a good idea for some shots (overviews or static shots). Won't help for subject motion, but will help against camera shake.

PhotosGuy
7th of November 2008 (Fri), 07:32
Welcome to POTN! What's the aperture range of the 25-80? Any other lens available? Do you have a flash? Will a flash be OK to use at the church? Is this a daytime or nighttime event? Is the interior of the church fairly well lighted? You have to help us if you want us to try to help you?

If you have an off camera flash: See post #3
Tips for Xmas Ball Please (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=419399)