PDA

View Full Version : 1 - Nikon SB-26 OR 2 - Vivtar 285HV ? Please help.

shutterfiend
27th of October 2008 (Mon), 10:16
I'm going crazy trying to figure out why a used Nikon SB-26 should be almost twice that of a new Vivitar 285HV?

I'm not sure how I could use the built-in slave on the Nikon but there are more power settings, which is a plus. Otherwise both have pretty similar specs. (from what I could tell).

Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

ekie
27th of October 2008 (Mon), 11:56
if you dont need the built-in optical slave, you can always look for the SB28, which is similar but no optical slave. i have 3 of those which I prefer over the vivitars.

MD Steelerfan
27th of October 2008 (Mon), 15:49
I have a reallu old SB20 and I like that better than my Vivitar. If you want to go on the cheap the Vivitar will work though.

PhatheadWRX
27th of October 2008 (Mon), 20:24
you can get a SB-26 for $120 on eBay.

That's only 113% of the vivatar.

shutterfiend
28th of October 2008 (Tue), 09:05
Thanks for the responses.

ekk_xt, MD Steelerfan, what's better about the Nikon?

SB-24s go for about the same price as the Vivitars. I could get those if they are better.

PhatheadWRX, I've noticed that the ones that go for under $150 usually have some problem, like a stuck zoom or a missing slide-out panel. I'll keep an eye out anyway. Thanks.

ekie
28th of October 2008 (Tue), 09:45
Thanks for the responses.

ekk_xt, MD Steelerfan, what's better about the Nikon?

SB-24s go for about the same price as the Vivitars. I could get those if they are better.

PhatheadWRX, I've noticed that the ones that go for under $150 usually have some problem, like a stuck zoom or a missing slide-out panel. I'll keep an eye out anyway. Thanks.

you have more variable power adjustments, smaller in size, and also easier to make modifiers for. also the nikon has the standard pc connector.

MD Steelerfan
28th of October 2008 (Tue), 10:06
I agree with ekk_xt. The only thing that is strange about the sb 20 is the shape of it. It is a kind of non standard. The other Nikon SBs are more standard looking I think.

I feel like the Vivtar controls are in a bad place for some strobist stuff. In a softbox far example, there is no way to see the control dial for the power without completely taking it out of the softbox. That is a real pain the in the Butt. The Canon and Nikon flashes have the control panel on the back so you can get to it easily. Also the fact that the Vivtar has a different connector is a pain. It also doesn't have 1/8 power for some reason. It only goes to 1/16 power as it's minimum which is the same as the SB20, but maybe not the same as some other SB models. My 580 goes to 1/64 power. That kind of precision is actually useful for strobist work.

yuriyo923
28th of October 2008 (Tue), 10:06
hm... I was looking for some 285hv as some cheap flash... I'll look into SB-28 :)

shutterfiend
28th of October 2008 (Tue), 11:01
ekk_xt, MD Steelerfan, thanks. I think I'll have to look for some SBs now.

ekie
28th of October 2008 (Tue), 11:05
ekk_xt, MD Steelerfan, thanks. I think I'll have to look for some SBs now.

if anything, you can try to find them at KEH.com .. they often have used ones there as well. i got two there and it works with no issues (so far .. *knock on wood*) lol

The_Duke_Of_Eli
28th of October 2008 (Tue), 21:29
Hi there.

I have all of the SB series (24,25,26,28) and the 285HV. The 285 is best found cheap and used. I wouldn't pay more than 50$ for one. Manually turning a knob in dark environments sucks. Plus, there's no 1/8th power. I have the ND filter for it (slot-ins that rock!) but that's really cumbersome. The SB-24s are cheap, but it only goes down to 1/16th power. The SB-26 is just a SB-25 with an optical trigger. I'd say buy an SB-25 and then buy a separate optical trigger for the hotshoe. It'll run <20$. I love the SB-28 because it's the smallest of the bunch.

shutterfiend
29th of October 2008 (Wed), 10:58
Thanks Duke, that was really informative. I saw a few listings for SB-28 but they're about the same price as the SB-26. I'm planning on getting cybersyncs so I wouldn't need the slave feature anyway.

I had a question about the delay setting on SB-26. How is that used? Also, is there a delay setting in any of the other one's?

turbodude
29th of October 2008 (Wed), 11:32
Hi there.

I have all of the SB series (24,25,26,28) and the 285HV. The 285 is best found cheap and used. I wouldn't pay more than 50$ for one. Manually turning a knob in dark environments sucks. Plus, there's no 1/8th power. I have the ND filter for it (slot-ins that rock!) but that's really cumbersome. The SB-24s are cheap, but it only goes down to 1/16th power. The SB-26 is just a SB-25 with an optical trigger. I'd say buy an SB-25 and then buy a separate optical trigger for the hotshoe. It'll run <20$. I love the SB-28 because it's the smallest of the bunch.

heck yes!!! so do i, all the modifers i make for teh 580exs work on teh 28s. unlike the other SB flashes. and the power difference is nominal.

turbodude
29th of October 2008 (Wed), 11:33
Thanks Duke, that was really informative. I saw a few listings for SB-28 but they're about the same price as the SB-26. I'm planning on getting cybersyncs so I wouldn't need the slave feature anyway.

I had a question about the delay setting on SB-26. How is that used? Also, is there a delay setting in any of the other one's?

its used for teh preflash of ETTL. it works, just if you plan on using manual everything with triggers anyway it would be of no use to you.

shutterfiend
29th of October 2008 (Wed), 11:37
Thanks turbodude!