PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Parade - Need Advise

puggle
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 10:43
I'll be in New York city for the annual Halloween parade and would like some advise on how to shoot, since it will be at night.

I'll be using a 5D and I think a 16-35 L super wide angle zoom would be good. Can anyone make a better suggestion?

Not sure where to start! Should I use a 530ex Speedlight, and slow sync, or no flash and just bump up the ISO all the way.

Suggestions are appreciated!

shannyD
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 10:51
didnt you post this last night too? lol.

i think its going to be tough anyway becaue its at night.. but you will have interesting lighting from surrounding street lamps, shops, and other lights that the parrade may have.

as far as the lens.. im not totally inlove with only givng yourself the 16-35 to work with because you dont know how close you can actually get or are going to be. so maybe you should take your 70-200 too?

after a little bit you will see what you like in your shooting abilities, and you will go with that.

when i am unsere of the lighting conditions around me.. i use AV mode.yeah yeah yeah.. i know its a semi auto mode.. but. i think it will be a little more forgiving, instead of trying to learn manual for those conditions.

thats just my opinion though.. someone could and probably will give better advice than me.

ill be n your neck of the woods next week.. ugghh i hate flying.

good luck.

shannon

puggle
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 22:11
Thanks Shanon,

Yes, I did post this same note, but in a different spot. Since no one responded, I thought I try this section.

I think your advise sounds good. You raise a good point about shooting in AV mode. I usually wrestle with manual, and am constantly turning the wheel to get proper exposure in low light. In this case, I'm guessing the lighting will be a mixed bag. I'm not as comfortable with my 70-200 as I am the 16-35, and I really love ultra wide. I hope to get up close to. I'll take your suggestion and try bring the heavy 70-200 and give it a try.

Thanks!

shannyD
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 22:38
yeah it is a lens to haul for sure. but you dont want to limit yourself if you cant get close enough.

good luck with it.

and i look forward to seeing some shots.

shannon

puggle
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 23:12
Ok, I'll post them on flickr so you can see them here. Feel free to comment on any shots. I'm always interested in feedback, both good and bad!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/puggle1/

yf920
3rd of November 2008 (Mon), 20:28
it is really good portrait:)
what kind of flash did you use?

puggle
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 12:56
I used a Canon 580EX Speedlite.

I tilted the head up and pulled out the catch-light card. I used the card to bounce the light. I don't know how effective this is, but I was pleased with the results.

I also dialed down the flash's power. I can't remember exactly how much, but at least a stop.