PDA

View Full Version : Some questions from a novice.

rawstudios
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 14:02
I just got started with professional photograpghy. I have been reading a lot of posts and learning a lot outside of actually shooting too. I am totally immersed into learning all I can about different types of shoots.

I recently was contacted by a woman looking for glamor shots for a "Suicide Girls" application.

I think I can really do a decent job for her by doing a TFP shoot.

Here are some questions I have.

Does anyone know of a good Model Workshop in the Chicago area to learn more about posing, backgrounds etc..?

Should I have her bring a girlfriend with to supervise?

Doing a TFP can I still retain some rights to these photos, just in case they turn out really good?

What lenses do you recommend for glamor posing and such?

I greatly appreciate your feedback!

hawk911
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 14:09
Everything I've seen on the suicide girls they are more particular and discerning with the photography they need. Good luck with your shoot, and check out Art Ketchum's workshops

woodsters
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 14:15
Have you checked out the suicide girls website? They do have some information there for photographers. I looked at it about a month ago because I saw an ad on craigslist of a girl looking to have some pics taken for the website. I would think having a 3rd there would be better. Just my opinion from being a law enforcement officer and have had it etched in my brain about not being alone with a female if it can be helped.

Visible Metaphor
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 14:33
I
Does anyone know of a good Model Workshop in the Chicago area to learn

Doing a TFP can I still retain some rights to these photos, just in case they turn out really good?

I would encourage her to bring a friend, but not to supervise. The model is looking to you for direction. Let her friend participate by holding reflectors and watching for stray hair, wrinkled wardrobe, and such.

Even with TFP, I would encourage you to have a model release on the table for her signature PRIOR to shooting.

What lenses do you have? I do all my glamour with the two in my signature and they work fine.

rawstudios
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 15:02
I have a Sigma 24-60, 50 1.8 and am picking up a tokina 12-24 hopefully.

Is there a post that has a dummy release form I can use?

woodsters
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 15:09
go down about 10 or 12 threads and there is a thread called "model releases"..

rawstudios
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 15:24
Thanks woodsters! I am looking at the site now for Suicide Girls. Where did you see the info for photographers?

woodsters
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 15:33
http://suicidegirls.com/models/faq/photographer/

rawstudios
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 16:10
Thanks again!

Mark_Cohran
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 17:11
Most photographers in my area won't shoot for Suicide Girls because of the restrictions they place of photographers rights.

rawstudios
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 19:14
I checked those faq's out and found they all lead to dead links. Anyone know what their policies are or why exactly people won't shoot for them?

tfiorda
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 20:14
I followed the link posted by woodsters and found a bunch of info. But to answer your question, you have to sign over all rights of every image you submit to them including the copyright for nothing more than $100. Basically, you can't even show them in a portfolio without getting their permission. Not something I would ever do, but obviously a lot of other have. I wouldn't recommend it. But YMMV.

Tony...

Mark_Cohran
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 20:44
I followed the link posted by woodsters and found a bunch of info. But to answer your question, you have to sign over all rights of every image you submit to them including the copyright for nothing more than $100. Basically, you can't even show them in a portfolio without getting their permission. Not something I would ever do, but obviously a lot of other have. I wouldn't recommend it. But YMMV.

Tony...

Exactly right. I think I've turned down shoots for about a 1/2 dozen girls because of that.

rawstudios
30th of October 2008 (Thu), 21:18
Thats good to know. Now these are photos for her application. Does that mean they fall under the same criteria as well?

woodsters
31st of October 2008 (Fri), 13:13
I would imagine so....

ThomGascoigne
31st of October 2008 (Fri), 13:29
Doing a suicide girls style shoot yes I would have the model bring a friend. Or if you can bring another female with you. Also I'd recommend looking at as many suicide girl photos as you can.

A popular thing right now is painting graffiti on models as-well.

You can easily get a good graffiti writer to do this for for copies of the photos.

tfiorda
31st of October 2008 (Fri), 14:10
As I read the info on their site, yes. Even to submit photos for evaluation by them, you must sign over all rights. :(

ThomGascoigne
31st of October 2008 (Fri), 14:18
Oh thats such BS! Why would you bother doing anything for suicidegirls?

ThomGascoigne
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 03:56
Good model website is modelmayhem.com

RichSoansPhotos
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 04:02
I just got started with professional photograpghy. I have been reading a lot of posts and learning a lot outside of actually shooting too. I am totally immersed into learning all I can about different types of shoots.

I recently was contacted by a woman looking for glamor shots for a "Suicide Girls" application.

I think I can really do a decent job for her by doing a TFP shoot.

Here are some questions I have.

Does anyone know of a good Model Workshop in the Chicago area to learn more about posing, backgrounds etc..?

Why the need to bring along the girlfriend to "supervise", are you an adult?

rawstudios
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 16:24
Yes I am an adult. I was just told that it is good to have a third person there as a witness in case the model claims something happened that didn't.

sandpiper
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 18:18
Oh thats such BS! Why would you bother doing anything for suicidegirls?

Most photographers won't, particularly as they are keen to take you to court if you try and actually use your pics for yourself.

The advice generally bandied about the modelling sites is don't go NEAR suicide girls.

ThomGascoigne
3rd of November 2008 (Mon), 07:48
Why the need to bring along the girlfriend to "supervise", are you an adult?

The reason for a female 3rd party is to act as a witness so you don't get slapped with a harassment charge.