PDA

View Full Version : Will using 5DmkII for long periods = noise?

echo
31st of October 2008 (Fri), 20:18
The only thing (apart from 30fps only) holding me back on the mkII is the potential for noise build up with extended video shoots, eg, an interview. Is there any word on this at all?

Thanks!

Mike

Brian Puccio
1st of November 2008 (Sat), 19:54
Define extended. I'm assuming you mean a dozen minutes or so (because that's what you're limited to).

Define noise. I assume you mean the noise of the lens focusing and IS.

I think that it could be a problem. But I'm not sure. I haven't seen a sample video with ambient audio to see if it would be a problem.

DDCSD
1st of November 2008 (Sat), 20:27
Pretty sure that the OP means noise in the image/video.

gooble
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 00:53
I read the 5D II manual and it states in there that there is the possibility of increasing noise if the Live View has been used for extended periods of time. It tells you that if you have used Live View for extended periods of time, to shut off live view for several minutes. It is not more specific than that.

This true for any camera with live view though.

Brian Puccio
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 09:20
I read the 5D II manual and it states in there that there is the possibility of increasing noise if the Live View has been used for extended periods of time. It tells you that if you have used Live View for extended periods of time, to shut off live view for several minutes. It is not more specific than that.

This true for any camera with live view though.

Yes, this has to do with the temperature of the sensor increasing, I believe.

Another solution would be to shoot in cold climates, but then you run into battery problems :)

Brian Puccio
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 09:36
Pretty sure that the OP means noise in the image/video.

In that case, I don't think it will be too bad. The sensor is 5616 x 3744 but the video it records is 1920 x 1080. Decreasing image sizes (or in this case, video sizes) that much will get rid of most noise.

We'll know for sure when it starts to ship and people start uploading their HD clips for us to all look at.

echo
4th of November 2008 (Tue), 13:35
Sorry to have asked the question and then been too busy on shoots to be able to check in.

I'm concerned about the image noise when used in say interview situations. 12 min segments isn't a biggie, well, I plan to get two and plan on overlap for continuous shoots of an hour or so.

Thing is, using 'hot lights' the room temp gets, err, hotter. So running non stop with card changes I wonder if the image quality will degrade and make me wish I'd kept my XH A1?

Anyway, I'll wait and see but hope that the noise is not too bad or that some cleaver person can make a cooling system :)