PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Family Safe?

macdad
1st of November 2008 (Sat), 11:21
I am surprised to see so many people posting pictures of their family on this site. Isn't there a concern about posting your pictures on the internet? Especially your children. Am I just paranoid? Just curious how others feel about the subject.

Livinthalife
1st of November 2008 (Sat), 11:24
What's the difference between posting pictures on the the net? Can people not jsut see you at the mall as easy? I would worry if you were posting SSN here along with home addresses, date of births etc.

Anytime your out in public, people can "see" you. Photograph you. I think your jsut paranoid! :) don't worry!

JeffreyG
1st of November 2008 (Sat), 19:41
I am surprised to see so many people posting pictures of their family on this site. Isn't there a concern about posting your pictures on the internet? Especially your children. Am I just paranoid? Just curious how others feel about the subject.

What are you expecting to have happen?

If I post a shot you have a picture of a child, my avatar and login name.

If you go to my flickr site you have the same. I don't link my own name, address, SSN, phone number or whatnot to the images.

Seems to me that your average felonious pediphile would find it simpler to just grab kids at random locally than try to track down mine from images.

AndreaBFS
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 01:57
This comes up all the time. Statistically, your children are far less safe from people in your own community and specifically people in your own circle of friends and acquaintances. In fact, I don't believe I've heard of a case where a random child was tracked down from a photo found on the internet.

Even if I've missed those cases, it certainly is far safer to post photos of your children here than to bring them out into public where they could be harmed far more easily.

MJPhotos24
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 01:05
Paranoia, simple as that.

gooble
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 02:04
What exactly are your concerns?

macdad
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 07:49
I don't know... I guess my wife watches too much lifetime :) I guess it isn't much different than putting a picture on your desk at work, or just taking your kids out in public. I hear words of caution about things like myspace etc, but people share a lot more personal information on those sites.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

JeffreyG
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 07:54
Myspace is different because it is a conduit for predators to directly contact children and engage them in conversation. What is most dangerous for children online is to be contacted directly. It is possible via the anonymity of the internet for a person to manipulate a child.

Posting pictures of your kids online is harmless as there is no direct access to the kids for anyone on the internet.

GAinGa
24th of November 2008 (Mon), 00:39

Dear macdad....... I read all these posts and fealt you got hammered!! lol
When it comes to your children, and their safety, I dont think in todays world you can be considered "paranoid" by considering ALL POSSIBILITIES... now if you lock yourself in a room and bar the doors and turn off the tv...well then... I might think you were being paranoid.

What ANDREA posted above is true, to an extent. "Statistically" speaking. Your children really ARE more apt to be harmed by those who are closest to you both physically (neighbors, live-ins,) as well as spiritually ("uncle" so and so.... "cousin" whats his name.....) ... but as you probably know, the "statistics" are drawn from KNOWN cases..... for every one case their are thousands (yeah, thousands!!!) that never come before "John Q Public".

The fact that you considered and are are familiar with the possibility of someone using a photo which has excited them (or attracted them in some way) and searching from there to find more info, tells me that you are one of the fewer folks in society that are likely to NOT find yourself or your children as a "statistic".

It is often those who have been affected directly or in-directly with a (form of abuse/molestation) that get enlightened to just how crafty the ever-increasing number of child predators can be. Use your own judgement with YOUR children and dont be a statistic (wether you post photos or not!)

I personally DO post photos........ but not because there are no "ugly" possibilities (because there ARE). but instead, because I am ever watchful and
wouldnt dare hide my head under the covers and claim "all is well with my world" and "I can trust so-and-so" or the greatest..... "why should I be concerned?"...........

Becoming familiar with possibilities means you gain knowledge.... and with knowledge "APPLIED", it becomes WISDOM. BE WISE!

Have a great day!!! (sorry to write a book.... this thread will likely be directed elsewhere......... lol)

GAinGa
24th of November 2008 (Mon), 01:23
What are you expecting to have happen?

If I post a shot you have a picture of a child, my avatar and login name.

If you go to my flickr site you have the same. I don't link my own name, address, SSN, phone number or whatnot to the images.

Seems to me that your average felonious pediphile would find it simpler to just grab kids at random locally than try to track down mine from images.

Well........ just to make a point, no harm intended.... I gave myself 10 minutes to see if I could locate YOU down to the street address, phone number, live-in household members, any and all info I could find.

Lets say this. I can name 15 likely family members (11 of them children?)(no I just saw a newspaper notice so add about 5 names more),FULL NAMES, school locations, school records and extra curricular activities (like...sports) , vacation spots, hobbies, pictures of all but 3 folks, but since they work in "Public Safety or Government" that could be attained easily enough..... actual street address, date of birth PHONE NUMBER............ I could pay 29.95 and access more info but I am only trying to make a point to the fellow above.

This was in 10 minutes and I am not a computer geek!! lol
Look, you could do the same with my info. Its EASY!!! and very QUICK... so the "average" guy could do it.

Just making a point that we shouldnt rag someone as "paranoid" for asking a question (even though I know , I know he made the remark first) lol

He probably just wanted to share a concern and asked if anyone else had thought about it. Nothing wrong with that! Right?

Think about it............:lol:

AndreaBFS
24th of November 2008 (Mon), 02:28
I could give you all of that information about me. You're still no more likely to be able to nab my children than any other guy on the street. When I'm out and about with my kids, I have my eye on them at all times.

If someone on the internet knows where I live and who lives here, what kind of car we drive, and where my kids go to school... well, good for them -- they know just as much as the Schwan's guy, my 8 neighbors, my mail carrier, my UPS guy, half the parents in my kid's school, my kid's gymnastics coach, the girl who sells me my diet coke every day, and about 50 other people from my real life here. And those people are actually physically HERE.

I'm still not understanding how anyone would feel more threatened on the internet than they do in real life. At least chances are people who look you up on the internet don't have the means to travel to you to find you.

GAinGa
24th of November 2008 (Mon), 13:39
I'm still not understanding how anyone would feel more threatened on the internet than they do in real life. At least chances are people who look you up on the internet don't have the means to travel to you to find you.
[/quote]

You're right, ofcourse....except I think his point was not being MORE threatened.... just wanted to acknowledge that their IS a threat?

And most people (not you and me! :-) ) do NOT watch out for poss. threats from within their "local" circle, much less to have a clue that someone doesnt need to be "in" their circle (recognizable) to even BE a threat.

Livinthalife
24th of November 2008 (Mon), 15:18
There is always a "threat". Everything is a threat. Anything can happen. But we can't live in fear. Just take the proper precautions. I mean there are higher chances of us getting into a car accident, but do we stop driving??? No, but we try to be cautious when driving. Just be a good parent by monitoring you children. I think that's all we can do, that and keep a really big shotgun near by incase some @$$hole broke in the house.

GAinGa
25th of November 2008 (Tue), 00:10
There is always a "threat". Everything is a threat. Anything can happen. But we can't live in fear. Just take the proper precautions. I mean there are higher chances of us getting into a car accident, but do we stop driving??? No, but we try to be cautious when driving. Just be a good parent by monitoring you children. I think that's all we can do, that and keep a really big shotgun near by incase some @$$hole broke in the house.

YES!! I love the sign we used to have years ago on all the windows.... (we moved)...it said: NEVER MIND THE DOG......BEWARE THE OWNER!!! (with a big ole barrell stickin out at ya!!! ha ha ha:lol:

Y'all have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

macdad
30th of November 2008 (Sun), 19:22
Thanks all for the replies and the comments. I don't feel I was attacked in the responses. Am I paranoid? Maybe a little. Some of it is the constant warnings from all the family members. I am very protective of my children, probably overly so.

As some of you have stated, I am far more concerned with letting my children spend the night at a friends house, especially if I don't know the parents well, than posting pics on the internet.

Now, if my wife is could be more comfortable with the thought, I would post some of my pics on the forum. I need a lot of help with using the flash and getting proper exposure.

Thanks again for all the participation in this thread.

Livinthalife
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 23:58
If you need some CC, just take pics of other peoples kids then ;) JK...

If you or the wife doesn't feel comfortable posting pics, that's understandable. I used to live in Japan, and their version of myspace (called mixi). people always put a big smiley :) over their face to conceal their identity....I always gave them a hard time about it. I would tel them, when you go outside wear a mask! ;)

mwdakota
6th of December 2008 (Sat), 02:08
Its late and I feel the need to vent again. But really do you think with all the posts here, childern, adults, faimly, even glamor and nude, any child molester could ever find satisfaction from pics on the canon forum... let alone find your child? I have been a member of this forum for a while now and never have I found a photo that I would consider out of order for posting. Hell, if the bathing suit is a year old and a bit to tight the US goverment would intercept it long befor it hit this forum!

BKC52583
9th of December 2008 (Tue), 16:13
This is my first post on this site but i never post pictures of other peoples kids without their permission on any site except my photobucket which is password protected. I am a little paranoid like you are but its true what they are saying. Any freak can take a picture of my kids at the mall

Livinthalife
9th of December 2008 (Tue), 18:30
Well I would have to agree, that would be a common courtesy about posting pics other's children for sure. got to respect other's privacy in that sense.

Amamba
18th of December 2008 (Thu), 15:24
I would never post photos of my children. Period. I will also not post photos of other people's children unless parents ask me to. Even though the possibility of a random photo arousing some creep's interest is low I will not take this chance. We can argue to death whether the OP and I are being paranoid, or the others are being blissfully ignorant of the world we live in.