PDA

View Full Version : California Nebula (NGC 1499)

Nighthound
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 16:41
This is one of the objects I took a shot at Friday night, first time on this one for me. Skies stayed completely clear for the first time this year and no fog since we chose our oceanfront dark site his time. Temp was 48F with fair seeing conditions. I also spent 2.5 hours on M78 and will process that one next.

Takahashi Sky 90 II / Losmandy G-11 wGemini / Canon 20D (unmod) @ ISO 1600 / 30 x 240 sec. subexposures (unguided) / No dark or flat frames applied / Noel's PS Astro Tools

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Nighthd/Astrophotography/califneb-1.jpg

R Hardman
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 19:17
As usual Steve, the hard work paid off. Fantastic image. And California does look like that from time to time!

Nighthound
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 19:35
Thanks Rick. I need about twice the exposure time to do this one justice, but this is something to build on.

yuriyo923
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 23:32
I'd love to learn how to do this. Astrophotography is amazing! Great job, love this image!

powerslave
2nd of November 2008 (Sun), 23:35
Inspiring stuff!

Adrena1in
3rd of November 2008 (Mon), 02:58
I need about twice the exposure time to do this one justice...

I do love the way that even you still think you can improve on your work, when 99.99% of us can only dream of achieving what you can. I was familiarising myself with The California Nebula only recently, and wondered if you'd imaged it before. It's a fantastic shot. bw!

Do you think you ever will investigate Guiding or Auto-Guiding, because it certainly doesn't look like you need to.

Nighthound
3rd of November 2008 (Mon), 09:18
I do love the way that even you still think you can improve on your work, when 99.99% of us can only dream of achieving what you can. I was familiarising myself with The California Nebula only recently, and wondered if you'd imaged it before. It's a fantastic shot. bw!

Do you think you ever will investigate Guiding or Auto-Guiding, because it certainly doesn't look like you need to.

Thanks very much everyone. It felt great to back out under the stars again and very good to come away with usable exposures.

A1, I suppose if I come to a point where I don't see room for improvement I will have arrived at a sad destination. I see this as a journey that hopefully I'll be blessed to travel for a long while. There's a lot to learn and many challenging objects to shoot for and that keeps me energized and a bit more tolerant of poor weather that keeps me from getting out. I've been autoguiding using PHD and my Atik monochrome CCD when using the Vixen(800mm, a must), although not as much as I'd like. If I drift align with the Sky 90 I can manage 4-5 minute exposures unguided with my G-11 with relative ease. My time out has been so limited that when I do get out I go with the easiest set up to yield the most shots per night. Autoguiding eats up time over the course of the night and means I have to set up more gear including the CCD/laptop/power supplies/battery.

Dusty
4th of November 2008 (Tue), 19:55
Steve what a magnificent shot.
On my monitor the neb just fluoresces and glows !!!
Wonderful work my friend.

Nighthound
5th of November 2008 (Wed), 21:53
Thanks very much Dusty. It's a tough one but it was fun.

Celestron
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 08:58
Great shot Steve ! This is one i've never attempted but someday perhaps :) . I know you tho , you'll add to it more i'm willing to bet ;) .

Nighthound
6th of November 2008 (Thu), 12:32
Thanks Ron, maybe but hard to say if I'll do it this year. I'm working on M78 that I shot the same night. 2.5 hours and I think I'll need to double that.