PDA

View Full Version : External Flash for Digital Rebel

ECohen
1st of March 2005 (Tue), 10:04
I am wondering if I can use a promaster ftd 5200 external flash unit on my Canon Digital Rebel 300d? I am new to external flashes and a friend of mine has this unit and would let me borrow it, but I don't know if it will work or if it could cause damage to the camera. Can anyone be so kind as to comment?

Deckyon
1st of March 2005 (Tue), 10:05
For what the Promaster costs, get the Canon Speedlite 420EX

Darter
26th of April 2005 (Tue), 21:48
In case you're still looking, I just purchased the ProMaster 7500DX for my Digital Rebel and I'm enjoying it. I am a very novice photographer, but I can achieve some nice results with this powerful flash.

If you want a smaller one, just check out promaster.com and look at their "digital flashes". They aren't really digital, but are e-ttl compatible, making it work with digital cameras.

If you want to try out different flashes, just head to your local camera shop and show up with your camera and favorite lens. They should be happy to help you out.

Eric DeCastro
26th of April 2005 (Tue), 22:05
For what the Promaster costs, get the Canon Speedlite 420EX
420ex isn't a manual speedlite

ECohen
27th of April 2005 (Wed), 08:56
Hi- I actually took the advice and went to my local camera shop with my Digital Rebel. And sure enough they sold me the promaster 7500dx. It is a very nice flash. But now I am very worried. Here's why: I'd been using it since March. The only problem I have with it is that sometimes it doesn't fire, I guess its not "ready" when I ask the camera to take the picture...It seems to do that alot though, even with new batteries. Well earlier this week, I was taking pictures using it, and it fired a few times as it should have. Then, I took a picture, it didn't fire and then the camera was broken. From then on I started getting Err 99. I called tech support and they basically told me it needed to be sent in. I am worried/suspicious that it could be something to do with this flash. I am therefore reluctant to use it anymore when I finally get the camera back. The camera has been well treated and apparently in this case, the error 99 was something "electronic" that went wrong (it normally has to do with the lens, but not in this case)

Any advice from the pros on this? That flash is supposed to be made for Canon cameras.

mgash
27th of April 2005 (Wed), 09:29
Make sure that you don't get the sunpack 5000, it only works in manual mode.

Eric DeCastro
27th of April 2005 (Wed), 18:43
Make sure that you don't get the sunpack 5000, it only works in manual mode.

mine works in auto and manual, but why would you shoot in anything other then maunal?

Jon
28th of April 2005 (Thu), 11:13
mine works in auto and manual, but why would you shoot in anything other then maunal?

Possibly because you don't want to calculate the flash-subject distance, determine the appropriate flash zoom setting, refer to the table for the GN for that, and then calculate the appropriate aperture to use for fill flash so you can collect that stunning picture of Elvis leaving the building before he ducks into the limo.

robertwgross
28th of April 2005 (Thu), 13:47
ATTENTION!

Elvis has left the building!

That is all.

---Bob Gross---

Eric DeCastro
28th of April 2005 (Thu), 18:24
I guess, I have a good feel of mine and don't shoot things like elvis. if that is the case for you, then you should get a 580ex.

Eric DeCastro
28th of April 2005 (Thu), 18:25
Hi- I actually took the advice and went to my local camera shop with my Digital Rebel. And sure enough they sold me the promaster 7500dx. It is a very nice flash. But now I am very worried. Here's why: I'd been using it since March. The only problem I have with it is that sometimes it doesn't fire, I guess its not "ready" when I ask the camera to take the picture...It seems to do that alot though, even with new batteries. Well earlier this week, I was taking pictures using it, and it fired a few times as it should have. Then, I took a picture, it didn't fire and then the camera was broken. From then on I started getting Err 99. I called tech support and they basically told me it needed to be sent in. I am worried/suspicious that it could be something to do with this flash. I am therefore reluctant to use it anymore when I finally get the camera back. The camera has been well treated and apparently in this case, the error 99 was something "electronic" that went wrong (it normally has to do with the lens, but not in this case)

Any advice from the pros on this? That flash is supposed to be made for Canon cameras.

yuo might shoot with your flash at full power, either turn the power down, or buy a HV batter like a turbo batter.

2goldens
29th of April 2005 (Fri), 06:40
The only time I ever got a 99 code on my Rebel was with my Sigma lens. When I would use my Sigma 70-300 lens and take a picture or two the code would appear. I would turn off my camera and take another picture and the same code would appear.
If I used any other lens the camera would work great.
I contacted Sigma and told them of the problem. The told me that it was the lens. They asked me to send them the lens and they would fix it. I sent them the lens and in about seven business days the lens was back at my door. I put it on the camera and it has worked every day. NO 99 code.
You will find many threads on that problem in this forum. Just look for 99 err or 99 code. Many people have experienced the same problem.

Darter
29th of April 2005 (Fri), 12:40
ecohen...I hope your case is an isolated one. I've only shot about 150 pics on my drebel/7500dx combo and have great results so far. The flash fires when I need it and recycles quickly with fresh regular alkaline batteries.

Please keep us posted on your situation!