PDA

View Full Version : Drag Boat Crash at 200+

SpeedySwede
24th of November 2008 (Mon), 12:11
I know a few of you have posted some drag boat photos. These are an amazing series of photos I found looking at a boating website. I think this wreck happened this past weekend.

http://markjrebilas.com/blog/2008/11/one-driver-learns-that-at-200mph-water-isnt-as-soft-as-it-looks/#more-1642

iceman1
24th of November 2008 (Mon), 12:50
Wow, those are great shots. Dangerous sport!

TekHouse
24th of November 2008 (Mon), 15:57
Awesome shots!

FlyingPhotog
24th of November 2008 (Mon), 15:59
I knew I should have gone to Firebird Lake last weekend...WOW

hawkeye60
24th of November 2008 (Mon), 16:16
I knew I should have gone to Firebird Lake last weekend...WOW

Yeah, me too...

1shot4u
24th of November 2008 (Mon), 17:10
Shots are awesome..thanks for sharing

Richtherookie
25th of November 2008 (Tue), 09:32
Awesome shots, he even got the rescue crew!! This dude rocks!!

Ok in this shot.. http://markjrebilas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ea11x_97861.jpg
toward the bottom of the boat, coming over the engine is a black hose, looks like it is spraying an "off white" chemical, is that fire protection? Like an Extinguisher going off? Our boats are alot smaller, just wondering if I got that right.

H&H Rescue, APBA, MHRA.

thisisastickup
25th of November 2008 (Tue), 21:48
wow,those shots are amazing.

seriously, my mouth was half open while i was looking at the ones of the crash.

you FTW.

SpeedySwede
2nd of December 2008 (Tue), 13:58
Awesome shots, he even got the rescue crew!! This dude rocks!!

Ok in this shot.. http://markjrebilas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ea11x_97861.jpg
toward the bottom of the boat, coming over the engine is a black hose, looks like it is spraying an "off white" chemical, is that fire protection? Like an Extinguisher going off? Our boats are alot smaller, just wondering if I got that right.

H&H Rescue, APBA, MHRA.

I can't figure out what that is either. I don't think it is anything to do with fire extinguishing because they are connect to the stern of the boat in the previous picture. It doesn't look like water from exhaust or cooling so the only think I can think is it might be something to do with the Chutes?

Did you see all the Mags this got in at the bottom of his site. Sports illustrated and 8 pages in Performance Boat.

Anke
2nd of December 2008 (Tue), 14:07
Wow, really great shots. D3 I notice :D

InsaneSkippy
2nd of December 2008 (Tue), 16:22
Those shots are AMAZING...

grphx
2nd of December 2008 (Tue), 19:50
I was speechless and breathless as I looked over each sequence of the crash. I honestly got a little scared to see if the driver was okay. I've been to races where they don't survive the crash and I was hoping I wouldn't be looking at one on the internet, it's almost just as bad. That's awesome how the photographer got that much exposer(multiple 2 page spreads). I'd die for just a single page!

cicopo
6th of December 2008 (Sat), 17:58
Awsome set of photos for sure. When one of those boats looses control they self destruct rather fast.

Moppie
6th of December 2008 (Sat), 20:45

I would say it is either oil, or coolant.

FlyingPhotog
7th of December 2008 (Sun), 03:26
Awsome set of photos for sure. When one of those boats looses control they self destruct rather fast.

They're meant to. It helps disapate the energy of the wreck. Same reason a race car comes apart the way it does.

I would say it is either oil, or coolant.

I was thinking coolant as well. Awfully big hose...

Moppie
7th of December 2008 (Sun), 20:24
I was thinking coolant as well. Awfully big hose...

Awfully big motor. :)

If it is making more than 1,000hp I would say oil line.
If you trace it back, it goes to a stainless tank that was suspended over the back of the boat, next to what looked like the fuel tank.
All good indications it's an oil line.

SpeedySwede
8th of December 2008 (Mon), 08:41
Awfully big motor. :)

If it is making more than 1,000hp I would say oil line.
If you trace it back, it goes to a stainless tank that was suspended over the back of the boat, next to what looked like the fuel tank.
All good indications it's an oil line.

Should be making 7000HP+

sherman111
8th of December 2008 (Mon), 15:46
Awesome sequence of shots, it was an expensive day for someone though!

Richtherookie
9th of December 2008 (Tue), 09:00
i have a friend that races them, i emailed him to see. He knows the team that raced that boat. we'll have an answer about HP soon.

Richtherookie
9th of December 2008 (Tue), 10:54
"That was a TFH boat. It has like between 7,000 up to 9,000" is the responce I got.

KJEphoto
11th of December 2008 (Thu), 02:50
"That was a TFH boat. It has like between 7,000 up to 9,000" is the responce I got.

Yep, the top fuel hydros are unbelievable. My interest in photography got started from dragboats. For anyone who has not been to a race you NEED to go. It is the most exciting thing ever and by far my favorite subject to take pictures of. IMO it blows NHRA away. Simply astounding and breathtaking as those suckers fly down. That series is unbelievable.

Richtherookie
11th of December 2008 (Thu), 09:01
I hear ya. I live in Michigan and plan on taking the time to fly west and spend a weekend there. Hopefully rubbing noses with the rescue teams, but I also will have the camera.