PDA

View Full Version : graphic card and processor for cs4

dashotgun
30th of November 2008 (Sun), 12:45
I am planning on building a new box soon I am currently running geforce 7600 gs over a pressler dual chip overclocked 3.3 I am just getting cs4 what do you all recommend for graphic and cpu for the new box will plan vista and prob 32 bit. prob quad core for the hell of it. what are you running and what is your wishlist no gaming just basic computing but photo shop does tax my current system a lot david

dashotgun
30th of November 2008 (Sun), 12:48
and forget about the nvida quadro cx ain't that rich

cfcRebel
30th of November 2008 (Sun), 12:50
I am running a 256mb GeForce 7300GS on AMD 64 single-core, Vista x64, 4Gb RAM. CS4 runs very smoothly. The zoom and image rotation is silky, no lag whatsoever.
Hope that helps.

Excavator
30th of November 2008 (Sun), 15:56
what are you running
Lian Li PC-V2100B
Enermax Galaxy 1000watt PSU
Gigabyte GA-P35T-DQ6
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz 8M L2 Cache 1066FSB (running at 3.0GHz)
Artic Cool Freezer7pro
4GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1333MHz
2 150GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID0
WD SATAII 250GB w/16meg cache
Plextor 716A SATA DLDVD Burner
Creative 16xDVD/Rom
nVidia 9600GT w/512MB GDDR3 running dual ACER 24" AL2416W widescreens
DTV/DSL Internet connection at 10 meg per/sec down and 768K per/sec up
what is your wishlist
In the process of building this:
Lian Li PC-V2100B
Enermax Galaxy 1000watt PSU
Gigabyte GA-EX5b-Extreme
Intel Core i7 965 3.2GHz Extreme Edition
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
6GB OCZ DDR3 1600MHz
2 80GB Intel X25-M SSDs in RAID0
2 150GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID1
WD SATAII 250GB w/16meg cache
Plextor 716A SATA DLDVD Burner
LiteOn BlueRay/DVD Rom
nVidia 9600GT w/512MB GDDR3 running dual ACER 24" AL2416W widescreens
DTV/DSL Internet connection at 10 meg per/sec down and 768K per/sec up
Hehe, just looked at that... seems like a lot of extreme parts.

brit84
30th of November 2008 (Sun), 16:09
go for a high end dual or a quad core. they are faster in processing video and photo. If you overclock, all the better!

ChasP505
30th of November 2008 (Sun), 16:14
what are you running

I am just building a new system, staying on a budget and staying with CS3 (Design Standard Collection). I'm using an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4 gigs of DDR2 PC800, nVidia 9500GT with 1gb memory, EVGA motherboard, Antec 300 case, Antec 650 watt PSU, 2 X 500 gb HDs, DVD writer. I'm sticking with Windows XP Pro.

In addition to Photoshop, I do a lot of Illustrator and InDesign. I can't imagine I would ever tax this system severely. Total cost, shopping sales and combo deals from newegg.com: About $600.

griptape
30th of November 2008 (Sun), 19:53
If you're building your own system, you should already have a good idea of performance vs. budget as to how things perform vs. what you're willing to pay.

Tsmith
30th of November 2008 (Sun), 19:59
Vista x64, CS4 runs very smoothly.

I think that is the biggest key for running CS4. On my plenty of powerful enough WinXP 32bit setup it runs slower that CS3.

martial76
30th of November 2008 (Sun), 20:40
Make sure u get 4gb of ram! My note book actually runs cs4 better than my pc even though the pc has way better processor, video card and 2x 10,000 rpm raptor drives. My pc has two gigs of ram running vista 32 and notebook has 4gb on vista 64... Those are going to be my next set of upgrades for me! On the pc I keep getting not enough ram messages when using the quick select tool... That has never happened on my notebook!

dashotgun
30th of November 2008 (Sun), 20:43
griptape I understand t price to power ratio but it is insights like Tsmith I am looking for as well as the particular performance needs of CS4 as of now my computer is fine for everything I do except that cs4 runs a bit slow. not like a dog but slow so I am looking for insight as to what I need to do to make it better.

Tsmith
30th of November 2008 (Sun), 20:55
I've seen many reports of users complaining about the sluggish results while running CS4. I've got an Intel E6700 Core 2Duo|4 gigs Corsair XMS C4 6400 RAM|Raptor drives (one just for scratch)|Evga 8800 GTS 640GB video card. CS3 runs better than CS4 on my rig. I've tried all the tweaks you can find from experienced users and nothing makes much difference. Maybe an OpenGL bug, how knows for sure.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that CS4 is designed to run best on a 64 bit setup.

tim
1st of December 2008 (Mon), 03:54
I have CS4, XP32, Q6600, 4GB RAM, nVidia 8500GT with 256MB of RAM. CS4 runs great. Open GL turns itself off sometimes, but it makes little difference whether it's on or off to me.

dashotgun
1st of December 2008 (Mon), 09:42
great reports It seems I am not alone in that it runs a bit sluggish and yeah my nvida 7600 turns off it's open gl every third time I open it. I have also noted running bridge and photoshop is worse as is having a internet connection open as well. I plan 6 gb of ram for the new box and xp 64 as well. So far I plan and i7 cpu and the mb is open to question and vista ultimate probably a single hard drive as that is not my bottle neck. I had thought that a higher end video card would help but I gather the open GL is more for effects then any gpu calculations as you modify the image. I have to update the wifes computer and my daughter's before I get to mine so 2nd or third quater next year.

Michael_Lambert
1st of December 2008 (Mon), 09:51
I installed the CS4 over the weekend ( Demo ) and loved it. Found it does run faster than my CS3 currently installed.

My system was home built a few months ago but basically its a Q6600 ( Intel core 2 quad) , 4gigs ram , 2x 8500GT 512mg running SLI.

cfcRebel
1st of December 2008 (Mon), 10:09
... probably a single hard drive as that is not my bottle neck. .....It's highly recommended to have at least two physical HDs. That helps handle the Windows page file and CS4 cache more efficiently. A 320Gb SATA disk is extremely affordable nowadays.

dashotgun
1st of December 2008 (Mon), 13:56
well I could just use some of the hd I have now the mtbf on them is still years away. I have a couple of seagate 7200 that are no where near full. My whole system is only about 2 years old. The time between upgades is getting shorter and shorter. I may just go to 6 gb ram and a new video board the nvida 7600 was kinda cheap. There is another thread here that reporst other problmes with the 64 bit architecture of vista. I wonder how long vista is going to last anyway it may be like millenium windows if anybody remembers that fiasco.

tim
1st of December 2008 (Mon), 16:03
great reports It seems I am not alone in that it runs a bit sluggish and yeah my nvida 7600 turns off it's open gl every third time I open it. I have also noted running bridge and photoshop is worse as is having a internet connection open as well. I plan 6 gb of ram for the new box and xp 64 as well. So far I plan and i7 cpu and the mb is open to question and vista ultimate probably a single hard drive as that is not my bottle neck. I had thought that a higher end video card would help but I gather the open GL is more for effects then any gpu calculations as you modify the image. I have to update the wifes computer and my daughter's before I get to mine so 2nd or third quater next year.

I see no reason to go XP64 over Vista64. XP64 is a bit of a bastard son OS, no-one really gave it any attention. Drivers could be an issue.

dashotgun
1st of December 2008 (Mon), 17:39
sorry was not paying attention when I posted I meant vista 64. It has been a while since I have been under the hood of the current box it just keeps on running It is actually 3 years old according to newegg ordering. I thought I had 4gb when I only have 2 so that might be a good temporizing measure 2 more gb are only 25 bucks heck that is 5 bg macs! How much does ps use the gpu is it really only the eye candy? If so 25 bucks would buy some time for the mb world to catch up to i7 and drop some prices.

cfcRebel
2nd of December 2008 (Tue), 01:16
Actually your current system is newer than mine. Still, mine runs Vista x64 and CS4 flawlessly (though not as fast as those Quad Core folks). So, you might be able to get by with a few more RAM and a new GPU. The key is still Vista x64 (assuming your OS is on a SATA disk rather than PATA), to take full advantage of >4Gb of RAM and resource allocation.

My system:
AMD 64 3000+ 1.8Ghz single core
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
4Gb DDR 400mHz
GeForce 7300GS 256mb
Vista x64
CS4

No CPU speed is too fast, but I am very happy with the performance i get out of this box.

dashotgun
2nd of December 2008 (Tue), 08:52
yes they are sata platters. I ordered some more ram I did not realize I only had 2 gb and ram is so cheap right now to got to 4gb. I think if I am going to go through the hassle of an os upgrade I will do it with a new box rather then an incremental upgrade to the current system. I have a resource moniter going and when the program bogs it is because of memory right now. The redraws coudl be quicker but I want to try the mem upgrade first. Since the i7 cpu just came out the motherboards are still real expensive. I think that mid to late next year and especialy because of the recession prices will really come down. This is one of my hobbies ( well building computers is another) but I will be patient and wait I think. I will report back once the new memorey gets here. I still am unsure how much the gpu matters. some times the screen magnifies very smoothly as you scroll in other times it is jerky. that is not a big issue but nice eye candy.

ChasP505
2nd of December 2008 (Tue), 09:17
I ordered some more ram I did not realize I only had 2 gb and ram is so cheap right now to got to 4gb.

Make sure that whatever ram you're using that it is a matched set. All the same brand and model or specifically buy matched pairs that are from the same manufacturing lot and tested to match performance.

dashotgun
2nd of December 2008 (Tue), 10:10
the nice thing about newegg is that I saved my specs from the build so I bought the exact same ram as I have now as you suggested buying other then a matched set will lead to problems

onBit
7th of January 2009 (Wed), 20:02
It's highly recommended to have at least two physical HDs. That helps handle the Windows page file and CS4 cache more efficiently. A 320Gb SATA disk is extremely affordable nowadays.

How do you configure the windows page file ?