PDA

View Full Version : in dark, dark car ?

romasas
30th of November 2008 (Sun), 17:14
Hallo, what technique do you use to take photo, in the dark of a dark color car.

I have trid with strobes but its wery bad. help !!! :)

couleur
1st of December 2008 (Mon), 10:43
play around with the environment. Dark colour cars only consume highlights and reflections. You can't force to use strobe and make beautiful shapes out of it. This is a huge mistake most amateurs do not realized. That is why dark colour cars are very technical and people tend to request for basic colours like silver during commercial photography. Silver or other colours are easier to shoot and colours are changeable upon request during post productions. That is why you can always see a set of cars with different colours....

You need to do more referencing on black colour cars shot at night for commercial use. You may notice that most of the time, the body was shaped out with reflections, environmental lights and the highlight are done with a long piece of strobe, like a huge florescent tube. Which creates these magnificent highlights that makes you so want to love the image so much more. :| Well it's a lot of work I have to admit. If you can't afford a set up I suggest you buy and emergency light, light box, gaffer tape it black leaving the florscent tube visible, and then do a long exposure while drawing out the lines using the light box. This might not be easy, and you will have to keep trying many attempts as possible. On the post processing part, you can draw out the lines using pen tool...

PhotosGuy
1st of December 2008 (Mon), 10:54
Black cars are tough at night. See my Sig for a better alternative.

As for the interior:
Bounce it off the ceiling inside the car.
Depending on how it looks...
Put a white/gray card against the front seat to reflect in the dash.
Add black to it to reflect where I don't want the white to reflect.
Kick in a bit of side light to add depth.
Turn on the lights to light the dials.
Start the car to get the other lights that normally don't stay on long. The light in this one is only from a white wall outside the car:
2007 Chevy HHR (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=227752)
Whatever else you think the shot needs...

couleur
1st of December 2008 (Mon), 10:59
^ And what if there isn't any white ceiling or walls? Your technique is studio, I think the ps is asking for outdoor....

PhotosGuy
2nd of December 2008 (Tue), 18:14
^ And what if there isn't any white ceiling or walls? Your technique is studio, I think the ps is asking for outdoor.... Did you look at the link? It's a white building, "The light in this one is only from a white wall outside the car:"

The OP wants, "in dark of dark color car.", probably the worst conditions you can get, so you need to think before you shoot. My best advice is to shoot before dark & use the sky to help with the light, but few listen to that. ;)