PDA

View Full Version : Current DSLRs obsolete soon?

lockstockbarrel
2nd of December 2008 (Tue), 11:01
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/multimedia/2008/12/gallery_photodetector

HSK
2nd of December 2008 (Tue), 11:10
Sounds interesting

gjl711
2nd of December 2008 (Tue), 11:10
There are quite a few new materials in the works and I'm sure one day we will see the commercialization of them but these are still years away. Your gonna have to hang on to your gear for a while longer.

dr1ft
3rd of December 2008 (Wed), 13:35
Your current DSLR is "obsolete" anyway...IF obsolescence to you means there is a better product out there.

disorder
3rd of December 2008 (Wed), 18:33
Saw this article on Wired.com and thought it was interesting.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/multimedia/2008/12/gallery_photodetector?slide=1&slideView=8

Perry Ge
3rd of December 2008 (Wed), 18:39
Sometimes the life of a science grad student seems so much cooler than the life of a philosophy grad student :p. *sigh*

2.8orfaster
4th of December 2008 (Thu), 04:01
Soon we will have cameras that you take the picture, then focus on any focal length later. We already have the technology.

low note lee
4th of December 2008 (Thu), 04:41
Soon we will have cameras that you take the picture, then focus on any focal length later. We already have the technology.

Link? I'm interested.

AdamJL
4th of December 2008 (Thu), 06:08
very interesting, thanks!

I'td be great to see a sensor that can curve to match the curve of a lens.

AdamJL
4th of December 2008 (Thu), 06:12
Link? I'm interested.

Here you go:
http://www.refocusimaging.com/about/

Hermes
4th of December 2008 (Thu), 06:37
What's so difficult about getting shots in focus with a current DSLR?

More to the point, will it ever be cost effective to mess about with re-focussing light and computing all this potential information for each shot when its so quick and easy to just do it manually beforehand - I doubt it.

This stuff might be interesting and there are scientific fields like medicine and forensics where it can probably make a real difference but let's face it, if you can't create good images and make money with the current breed of DSLRs then shelling out money for this gear won't help you.

gjl711
4th of December 2008 (Thu), 07:42
Here you go:
This is a way cool tool. I want. :)

disorder
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 13:26
future competitors for new sensors?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0810/08101701black_silicon.asp

both sound promising.

Sometimes the life of a science grad student seems so much cooler than the life of a philosophy grad student :p. *sigh*

seriously... i am in the health science industry and i am beginning to think "wouldn't it be cool to go to grad school for physics/applied sciences?". i would die though, too much of a biology background and not enough engineering.

WMS
7th of December 2008 (Sun), 08:24

As a former Chem major I know just how strange these guys are trust me on this one, philosophy grad students are much safer and frequently more fun (but not as much fun as Art History majors).

Wayne

Nathan
7th of December 2008 (Sun), 17:12
It'll be another couple of years before we see a camera like that. Hopefully, if they do that Canon would continue to make crop sensors for their EF-S line of lenses.

mxwphoto
11th of December 2008 (Thu), 22:50
One day all the cameras will not be hand held, but eye optical implants. Snap your fingers and take what you see. We'd all have eagle-like vision!:lol:

cyrn
17th of December 2008 (Wed), 10:41
it's likely to be patented... so, unless it's licensed non-exclusively... you'd might be looking at the second fevon sensor. ;)

rocklyons
18th of December 2008 (Thu), 14:14
What's so difficult about getting shots in focus with a current DSLR?

More to the point, will it ever be cost effective to mess about with re-focussing light and computing all this potential information for each shot when its so quick and easy to just do it manually beforehand - I doubt it.

This stuff might be interesting and there are scientific fields like medicine and forensics where it can probably make a real difference but let's face it, if you can't create good images and make money with the current breed of DSLRs then shelling out money for this gear won't help you.
I have not arrived at photography perfection yet. I have many photos of birds in flight where the focus is off just enough to ruin the shot. Where shallow DOF is involved I often find my clear focus is on a wing rather than the eye. I would certainly like to have the ability to fine refocus.

brecklundin
19th of December 2008 (Fri), 14:31

But remember with degrees in philosophy, you always have someone to talk to...when ya sit in the corner debating yourself over value of an advanced degree in Philosophy... :p

Perry Ge
19th of December 2008 (Fri), 17:28
But remember with degrees in philosophy, you always have someone to talk to...when ya sit in the corner debating yourself over value of an advanced degree in Philosophy... :p

It's valuable in itself yo...it's valuable in itself :p.

FreemanPhoto
27th of December 2008 (Sat), 12:53
Wow, all of this is amazing. I read a few years ago in a science journal that (and this has to be assumption more than provable fact) we are now advancing in technology at ten times the rate of the past--every ten years we leap forward equivalent to 100 years of the past. So for instance, the technological advancements from 1900-1999 are equaled by the advancements of 2000-2009.

Sadly, I think it will reach a tipping point in photography, where even the most noob can just load a picture and the app will show 100 possible variations (from HDR simulation to old style photo, etc.) and the user can just click a button. The art and skill will be made too easy to be able to identify talent from technology.

But still, I'm geeked about what's coming! =)

tkbslc
28th of December 2008 (Sun), 02:40
Sadly, I think it will reach a tipping point in photography, where even the most noob can just load a picture and the app will show 100 possible variations (from HDR simulation to old style photo, etc.) and the user can just click a button. The art and skill will be made too easy to be able to identify talent from technology.

But still, I'm geeked about what's coming! =)

No way. Just because I can put a pic in a computer and have it come out technically perfect every time, does not make the photo any more interesting to look at.

Maybe then it will become more of a pure art instead of who can afford the best lenses.

gjl711
28th of December 2008 (Sun), 09:47
Sadly, I think it will reach a tipping point in photography, where even the most noob can just load a picture and the app will show 100 possible variations (from HDR simulation to old style photo, etc.) and the user can just click a button. The art and skill will be made too easy to be able to identify talent from technology....

No way. Just because I can put a pic in a computer and have it come out technically perfect every time, does not make the photo any more interesting to look at.

Maybe then it will become more of a pure art instead of who can afford the best lenses. I'm not so sure. Photography use to be a art. It was difficult to get outstanding pictures and took great skill. As technology progresses the skill aspect of photography is diminishing and the artistic eye is all that's left. THat and being at the right place at the right time. If you look at the outstanding pictures of 2008 as in this thread,
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=616807
almost all of the pics are point and shoot types of pics but the photographer was standing at the right place and had enopugh of a artistic eye to get the right angle. Photography has become pretty basic stuff. ANyone can now do it and generate award winning pictures if they point the camera in the right direction and press the button at the right time.

Vascilli
29th of December 2008 (Mon), 04:22
Here you go:

..Looks to me like they're just taking pictures with huge DOF (Like how a camera phone doesn't have to focus because DOF is so big) and adding artificial bokeh. Weird.

gjl711
29th of December 2008 (Mon), 08:38
..Looks to me like they're just taking pictures with huge DOF (Like how a camera phone doesn't have to focus because DOF is so big) and adding artificial bokeh. Weird.If you read some of the articles it says that the lens is built into the sensor. There are micro lenses that service a cluster of pixels. So I'm guessing that what he has created is in effect thousands of pin hole camerase which have a near infinit DOF and he can somehow assemble the pics into something that looks good.