PDA

View Full Version : Road Atlanta spectator access

adamsti
4th of December 2008 (Thu), 18:45
Well I'm trying to plan 2009 out, and I'm thinking of going to Petit Le Mans in Atlanta. Problem is I can't get a super photo pass like I can at Road America and shoot with the press. How are the spectator areas? I do not want to waste time or money if I can't get decent shots. Road America is very, very good even without credentials, just wondering how Atlanta compares.

smcclelland
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 11:39
I've been thinking about doing the trek myself from Toronto and have heard that Road Atlanta is actually pretty good shooting opportunities from the spectator side. If I remember correctly (John Thawley may chime in here) but Road Atlanta was one of the overcrowded circuits last year with way too many photogs beyond the fence.

adamsti
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 11:45
I remember him saying that. I really want to shoot as they race into the dark. The Road America four hour race has been moved back to 1pm-5pm this year, so the light is going to suck. 4pm-8pm was much, much nicer.:(

smcclelland
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 11:50
1pm - 5pm sounds about right, that's roughly what they do here at Mosport as well. Some of the later races are tough on the teams because they're basically packing up and hitting the highway to the next event right after the race finishes.

Croasdail
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 11:54
Plenty of sight lines at Road Atlanta. Photo Pass is always nice, but not really needed.

Jamie Holladay
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 12:57
Well I'm trying to plan 2009 out, and I'm thinking of going to Petit Le Mans in Atlanta. Problem is I can't get a super photo pass like I can at Road America and shoot with the press. How are the spectator areas? I do not want to waste time or money if I can't get decent shots. Road America is very, very good even without credentials, just wondering how Atlanta compares.
These are all shot from the specator areas. They were shot with either a 500mm f/4, 70-200 f/4, 70-200 f/4 + 1.4tx. Alot of the time I was shooting right beside a credential photog.
Hope that helps.

http://jhp.smugmug.com/gallery/3700593_NSJdw

Jamie Holladay
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 13:04
I've been thinking about doing the trek myself from Toronto and have heard that Road Atlanta is actually pretty good shooting opportunities from the spectator side. If I remember correctly (John Thawley may chime in here) but Road Atlanta was one of the overcrowded circuits last year with way too many photogs beyond the fence.
I remember JT talking about the over crowding but I'm not sure the RA as the one he was fussing so about. I'll say this though when I shot the esses late in the afternoon in 2007 JT was on my side of the fence with a couple of other photogs. The photog stand at the esses had 5-6 photogs on it. So it is a busy place.

smcclelland
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 13:25
Yeah it's pretty common to see the 'togs on the spectator side of the fence especially the guys shooting with the long primes whom I see wandering around spectator areas for some room for the shot sometimes.

We've lost so many events here in Canada for 2009 that I'll probably book off spaced vacations this year and drive to Road America, Mid Ohio etc to at least get some decent shots.

Jamie Holladay
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 13:50
If you come to Road Atlanta let me know.

smcclelland
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 14:10
For sure... on a more depressing note did you see that Audi pulled out their LMP1 cars from ALMS? http://business.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081205.waudiALMS1205/BNStory/Business/home

No porsche spyders next year and no audi's but apparently BMW is stepping into the GT's..

Jamie Holladay
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 18:25
yeah I did.

adamsti
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 19:16
Boy, the news about Audi sucks. It looks like it may be a lean year in ALMS. GT1 is done once the Vettes leave, and LMP1 is not going to be much either, not to mention Porsche leaving LMP2.

smcclelland
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 21:43
Going to be a lean year all around, Honda pulled out of F1 this year as well and there's talk of other events such as the Koni Challenge suffering sponsorship and the less backed teams having to pull out due to financial difficulties. Not a good year for motorsports by the looks of it.

PhotosGuy
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 23:53
Turn 5, both uphill & down, is everyone's favorite IMO. There are a lot of other good spots, too. If you walk the track, take boots for the red clay.

Jamie Holladay
6th of December 2008 (Sat), 09:37
If you walk the track, take boots for the red clay.
True!

dinanm3atl
29th of December 2008 (Mon), 19:31
Plan your trip... The spectator areas are good in some spots and you will get some good shots. Coming out of the Esses/Turn 5 is good. Turn 6 and 7 are good. Turn 10a/10b are great.

I shoot with the 70-200(used to shoot with 70-300) and have not had a problem. Getting stills or panning there are spots.

All from spectator spots...

Coming out of the Esses
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/2643442199_be54b0cff0_b.jpg

Straight towards turn 12
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3011/2429933070_9def7ee6f1_b.jpg

Shooting down the Esses
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2363/2429142395_506b46b523_b.jpg

Croasdail
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 10:52
For the Petit - we need to have a POTN meet. There are plenty of us out there roaming the hills during that event. I got go most years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the R15 show up this year for this race by the way. It is coming over for Sebring... this would be another good test for it.

smcclelland
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 14:54
For the Petit - we need to have a POTN meet. There are plenty of us out there roaming the hills during that event. I got go most years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the R15 show up this year for this race by the way. It is coming over for Sebring... this would be another good test for it.

Audi's not part of ALMS this year, none of their cars are registered for any events as they're focusing their efforts on the International racing. Unfortunately the same goes for the Spyders since DHL backed out so P1/P2 is going to be fairly sparse this year in the ALMS.

Plan for Sebring is basically debut the R15, test it and ship it back overseas.

dinanm3atl
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 15:00
Yup. I think a lot of series will be sparse this year.

Croasdail
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 15:29
Audi's not part of ALMS this year, none of their cars are registered for any events as they're focusing their efforts on the International racing. Unfortunately the same goes for the Spyders since DHL backed out so P1/P2 is going to be fairly sparse this year in the ALMS.

Plan for Sebring is basically debut the R15, test it and ship it back overseas.

So far, Audi has only revealed a limited program for the new R15 starting with the 12 Hours of Sebring in March and followed by the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June. Audi will be looking to tie Ferrari with a ninth overall victory at Le Mans. Audi spokesman Christian Bokich tells ABG that the company is not yet ready to announce what plans it might have for the rest of the American Le Mans Series.

[Source: Audi]

So who knows. Seems Audi is sending mixed messages. Also from Audi.com...

While Audi AG plans to concentrate its factory involvement at European venues throughout the 2009 season in these economically tough times, American fans of Audi motorsports will be treated to a premiere: The all-new Audi R15 TDI sports prototype will make its debut March 21, 2009 during the 12-hour race at Sebring, Fla. This international racing classic, which will be contested by Audi Sport Team Joest, is traditionally regarded as excellent preparation and a final test-race for the 24 Hours of Le Mans race in France. At the same time, the race at Sebring with its special demands made of man and machine guarantees excellent motorsports competition.

So it kinda sounds like a little more that just running some test laps.

smcclelland
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 18:48
Like I said, test it here stateside for the 12 hours which is always a big event and then ship it over to France to compete in the 24 Hours of LeMans (no ties at all to ALMS).

Audi has no reason to run ALMS this year unless they just want to spend money for no reason or if Porsche can grab another flagship sponsor to haul them through the next season. It also seems that Lola has left the LMP2 class, found their cars for sale online (anyone want a fully prepped LMP2 open cockpit racer for a modest $625,000?) which leaves even less competition in LMP2 next year.

Not saying it won't happen, just saying there's about a snowballs chance in hell that Audi will run ALMS in 2009 given everything I've seen/heard from drivers and teams from various series.

Croasdail
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 21:12
What Porsche does or doesn't do has no impact what so ever on Audi. And what I was saying is yes, they might bring the cars over for the Petit Lemans only. I have no expectations they will run any of the other races here. But, over the years there have been tons of cars for which Petit was their only US showing. In the past we have had Jag, Bentley, VW, and this year, the French came over. Petit is after the european series is done and a great test bed for the over winter testing. Anyway, we will just have to wait and see. Who knows, maybe Panoz will bring their LMP1 cars back with the field so thin this year.

John Thawley
2nd of January 2009 (Fri), 11:31

Road Atlanta is an excellent spectator track... and there are good shooting spots.

These comments are directed to the general topic of this thread:

One thing I notice is, whenever I see a post criticizing shooting from spectator areas, photos indicate the poster has spent the afternoon shooting from one spot. That ain't gonna cut it regardless of what side of the fence you're on.

If you're going as a spectator and you want to shoot... you need to decide what you're going to do... spectate or shoot. If you're going to spectate, pull up a lawn chair, crack your six-pack and kick back. If you're going to shoot, bring walking shoes, a backbone and be prepared to go hunting. Credentials don't magically deliver the locations to your seat in the media center... I haul my rather abundant ass from one end of the facility to the other... on both sides of the fence and more. I look EVERYWHERE for an angle or an opportunity.

And yes... WAY TOO MANY credentials at Road Atlanta. But that's another thread.

Croasdail, I don't think there are any mixed signals coming from Audi. Sebring is and has always been a test bed for teams competing at Le Mans. If you can survive 12 Hours of Sebring, you're pretty solid. The key in the statements from Audi is the reference to Team Joest. Notice it's not Champion? Joest will come to Sebring and that's it. Also, you'll notice Corvette GT1 cars are only slated for Sebring... and then onto Le Mans.

Gonna be tough times ahead for racing.

JT

Croasdail
2nd of January 2009 (Fri), 22:26
Also, you'll notice Corvette GT1 cars are only slated for Sebring... and then onto Le Mans.

Well, with GT1 being phased out, it only makes sense that GM would spend its limited resources getting a GT2 spec platform up an running. I could have sworn I heard that the GT2 cars will start making appearances after Le Mans. Anyway, were are in for an interesting year ahead.

adamsti
3rd of January 2009 (Sat), 00:43
Road Atlanta is an excellent spectator track... and there are good shooting spots.

These comments are directed to the general topic of this thread:

One thing I notice is, whenever I see a post criticizing shooting from spectator areas, photos indicate the poster has spent the afternoon shooting from one spot. That ain't gonna cut it regardless of what side of the fence you're on.

If you're going as a spectator and you want to shoot... you need to decide what you're going to do... spectate or shoot. If you're going to spectate, pull up a lawn chair, crack your six-pack and kick back. If you're going to shoot, bring walking shoes, a backbone and be prepared to go hunting. Credentials don't magically deliver the locations to your seat in the media center... I haul my rather abundant ass from one end of the facility to the other... on both sides of the fence and more. I look EVERYWHERE for an angle or an opportunity.

And yes... WAY TOO MANY credentials at Road Atlanta. But that's another thread.

Croasdail, I don't think there are any mixed signals coming from Audi. Sebring is and has always been a test bed for teams competing at Le Mans. If you can survive 12 Hours of Sebring, you're pretty solid. The key in the statements from Audi is the reference to Team Joest. Notice it's not Champion? Joest will come to Sebring and that's it. Also, you'll notice Corvette GT1 cars are only slated for Sebring... and then onto Le Mans.

Gonna be tough times ahead for racing.

JT

I hike my butt all over Road America, so I know what you mean. I usually have a plan in my mind each day for Road America, not having been to Atlanta, if I do go, I'll be flying somewhat by the seat of my pants. Plus after the spending nine of the previous ten days at the Reno Air Races, my butt is going to be dragging!! LOL.

PhotosGuy
3rd of January 2009 (Sat), 10:17
I hike my butt all over Road America, Meet the Di Blasi "EXPRESS" (http://www.diblasi.com/faqs.htm)! :D

John Thawley
5th of January 2009 (Mon), 19:47
Meet the Di Blasi "EXPRESS" (http://www.diblasi.com/faqs.htm)! :D

Bring a helmet. And be prepared to buy a pass if you don't drive it in.

JT

dinanm3atl
5th of January 2009 (Mon), 20:30
Meet the Di Blasi "EXPRESS" (http://www.diblasi.com/faqs.htm)! :D

Wow...

roflmao

adamsti
15th of January 2009 (Thu), 21:36
Well I changed my mind. With this seemingly looking like a down year, I'll settle for my three days at the Road America race. I'm going to Yosemite, to explore my nature side.:)

Kincaid Photo
11th of August 2009 (Tue), 16:15
These are all shot from the specator areas. They were shot with either a 500mm f/4, 70-200 f/4, 70-200 f/4 + 1.4tx. Alot of the time I was shooting right beside a credential photog.
Hope that helps.

http://jhp.smugmug.com/gallery/3700593_NSJdw

I know it is a dead thread, but I have question I hope you can answer. How did you find the shooting at R ATL with the 500? I just got my 300 2.8, and with the 1.4 I think it will be sufficient, but if not, I would like to get my name on the list for a 500 rental for the weekend of the ALMS race. This will be my first time out at this track, so I don't know the distances/FL.

Anybody still going to this?

vheilman
18th of August 2009 (Tue), 17:36
This will be my first year up to Road Atlanta. I've been doing Sebring and St. Pete for years, but that's about it.

Any heads up or pointers for a noob to the track?

Boots for red clay... check. But, will tennis shoes be fine if I plan on retiring them after the race?

Anyone else?

PhotosGuy
19th of August 2009 (Wed), 10:52
Boots for red clay... check. But, will tennis shoes be fine if I plan on retiring them after the race? Tennies are OK if the weather is dry. Boots without cleats if the clay is wet, unless you also want to build up the strength of your leg muscles with 3# of clay sticking to each foot. Of course, if it's really wet, flat soles mean you'll have the opportunity to slip & fall on your butt?
Maybe a donkey would be best. They never slip on anything? :D

Kincaid Photo
19th of August 2009 (Wed), 11:01
Tennies are OK if the weather is dry. Boots without cleats if the clay is wet, unless you also want to build up the strength of your leg muscles with 3# of clay sticking to each foot. Of course, if it's really wet, flat soles mean you'll have the opportunity to slip & fall on your butt?
Maybe a donkey would be best. They never slip on anything? :D

Just make sure that if your donkey is over 125cc, you get a pas for it from security and wear a helmet. New rules for the infield. :p

On a serious note, tennis shoes or boots will be covered in clay by days end. Best advice I have ever gotten for track events is to wear shoes that are comfortable for the day. Oil in the paddock is just as bad as the clay, and you don't see people buying special shoes just for that.

Has an unofficial list of POTN members going been started yet? Hope to meet some folks up there while wandering around.

dinanm3atl
21st of August 2009 (Fri), 00:55
I assume everyone is going to Petite? I should be there.

Kincaid Photo
21st of August 2009 (Fri), 06:28
I assume everyone is going to Petite? I should be there.

I'll be there.

hondafans
26th of August 2009 (Wed), 09:53

I'm in. Everybody see that Audi announced yesterday they will be bringing two cars. Go Acura!

Jamie Holladay
27th of August 2009 (Thu), 21:56
I know it is a dead thread, but I have question I hope you can answer. How did you find the shooting at R ATL with the 500? I just got my 300 2.8, and with the 1.4 I think it will be sufficient, but if not, I would like to get my name on the list for a 500 rental for the weekend of the ALMS race. This will be my first time out at this track, so I don't know the distances/FL.

Anybody still going to this?
What body are you shooting with? If it is a 1.6 crop you are only loosing 80mm using the 300 and 1.4. You should do fine. Shooting the esses is where I enjoyed the 500 the most. the 300/1.4 combo will be a tad wide but not too much. Other than that you can do well with it.
I'm in. Everybody see that Audi announced yesterday they will be bringing two cars. Go Acura!
Yeah that is great!

Kincaid Photo
28th of August 2009 (Fri), 07:01
What body are you shooting with? If it is a 1.6 crop you are only loosing 80mm using the 300 and 1.4. You should do fine. Shooting the esses is where I enjoyed the 500 the most. the 300/1.4 combo will be a tad wide but not too much. Other than that you can do well with it.

Yeah that is great!

I will have the 300 on my 1D3, so with the 1.4 I hope to do okay. Only one way to find out though. Hoping that coupled with a 5D2 w/70-200 should get just about right.

Glad Audi decided to make the rumors legit and join in.

vheilman
28th of August 2009 (Fri), 18:10
I'm driving up from Tampa and looking for a place to stay.
Any recommendations? Are there any hotels near? Or, should I just bring the tent, etc.
My first trip up to this track. I have no problems camping out, but I don't know the track, if it's common up there, etc.

Any suggestions?

Jamie Holladay
28th of August 2009 (Fri), 20:17
I'm driving up from Tampa and looking for a place to stay.
Any recommendations? Are there any hotels near? Or, should I just bring the tent, etc.
My first trip up to this track. I have no problems camping out, but I don't know the track, if it's common up there, etc.

Any suggestions?
There is one real close but I doubt you could get a res now.

Try this
http://www.roadatlanta.com/accomod.lasso