PDA

View Full Version : Christmas card pics

jm_usmc
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 08:53
A couple of the pics I took of our girls for the Christmas cards this year. C&C welcome.

shannyD
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 09:19
i dont know if its because i have a cold.. my eyes are getting bad.. or my monitor blows... and im going with the i have a cold part on this one.. but they look a tad soft.

but shes is adorable.. and the photos are really nice. but just look a toch too soft.

shannon

RebelChick
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 09:30
they do look a tad soft but im thinking it may be the image hosting

RebelChick
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 09:31
Never mind i see its an attatched photo.

Kristy
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 09:31
SO cute! I like the presents in the background.. My oldest daughter had that same dress one year..

They do look a little soft on my screen too, but could be the compression. They should be fine for printing on a card though because they will be smaller. You might want to just be sure and sharpen them to the limit before print.... :)

Nice job and a beautiful child! :)

jm_usmc
6th of December 2008 (Sat), 14:59
Thank you for the comments. Unfortunately, most of the shots from this set came out soft. I'm not really sure why.

Kristy
6th of December 2008 (Sat), 16:13
If you can share your camera settings maybe we can help you figure out what went wrong on the sharpness... :)

jm_usmc
6th of December 2008 (Sat), 20:51
If you can share your camera settings maybe we can help you figure out what went wrong on the sharpness... :)

Rebel XT, Nifty Fifty, f3.2, 1/200, ISO 200. All light was from the flashes. One at ~45 degrees as key light and one flash above/behind me as fill (and I very much need a third for a hair light).

This is my standard setup for portraits and it is usually very sharp.

I did just realize I did one thing different. I normally use center point focus then recompose. On this set I used the 'correct' focus point. Could that cause a focus problem?

tehshocker
6th of December 2008 (Sat), 22:32
It definentaly looks like you didn't focus on the eyes, your camera settings don't look to bad. Even though I would've gone with ISO 100 especially since you're using the 50 1.8 and had an extra stop to play with. Even though it may give a shallow DOF it doesn't really matter since the girl is the subject matter, people won't go "ohh how cute, presents"