PDA

View Full Version : food photography help

kaitanium
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 11:49
i just took these shots from a recent wedding and thought it turned out well
http://s94753452.onlinehome.us/gal035864780/joanneconorwed/plates.jpg

this is one of the times where im like, ok, i think i got a good shot, i know there was good light, but i cant seem to reproduce this every time.

but really are there any tricks to making food look good without all the glitz and glamour of food makeup, food stylists go to do? i mean i cant be painting the food in weddings with oils and what nots (not like i know how anyways) hahah.

Mark1
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 12:49
Never tried shooting food in the real world like that. But on a shooting table I like the light above and a bit behind the food. And a white card just under the lens to cut down the shadows. With the light back a bit, it starts to glare. But in the right spot it appears as "glistening". For me I like crisp highlights and solid colors. By solid I mean the image needs a good black point to hold the colors from fadeing.

If you are going to do it "live". try to get a table next to a window and use natural light.

Food photography is its own art form. There is a food photo group on flickr. Take a peak there. Some who post there are very good at it.

kaitanium
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 12:55
good tips thanks!

white russian
5th of December 2008 (Fri), 14:56
The photos look great. As far as putting them together the only real suggestion I can offer is maybe running the photos as such. One appetizer, one soup, one entree and one dessert photo. Overall all the the layout works too.

Serg

ain shafinas
9th of January 2009 (Fri), 12:48
may i know,who's the profesional photographer in food advertising?

macobee
17th of January 2009 (Sat), 21:13
Hi, there is a food photography thread here, perhaps there you can get more tips: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7096161#post7096161

I think for shooting at a function and being unable to light etc your shots, i think you did a good job.

I think pp can bring a lot more vibrancy into them though.

I agree try get a window seat where you get natural light from behind the food to light it.

Glliw
20th of January 2009 (Tue), 09:42
Looks like you did a great job, as the food looks delicious! It would be nice to have the plate edge in a couple of them not cropped out though. But then again, its the food, not the plate we're looking at I guess.

As far as help goes, I was reading a few months old issue of Popular Photography last night whilst doing laundry and they had a section on how-to photograph food. For the most part, a 45 degree down angle and to use a black card to one of the sides of the food as to keep light from bouncing off the wall and back into the shadows.

Now, that probably would've been slightly harder to apply here since you were in the thick of it mid-wedding, but just food for thought, really. :)

LearnMyShot
25th of January 2009 (Sun), 04:51
It seems like it was a stylish wedding. Food shots look great. At events food shots don't get better than that. Your focal point and depth of field are just right. The eating guy shot i am not too crazy about - the mouth, tong part, is a bit awkward.
I shoot food at events all the time. No styling needed. If there is no natural light just bounce on camera flash the flash off the side wall and ceiling. I use "Gary Fong diffuser" (amazon) on 580 canon flash works like a charm. You may also find a fun thing to shoot food in action at events "waiters carrying the food..." focusing on the food.... sample attached

Food Photographer New York (http://www.sashagitin.com)

Collin85
25th of January 2009 (Sun), 04:54
Kaitanium, I think your food shots turned out wonderful. Well done.