PDA

View Full Version : Advantage of screw in filters over Cokin/Lee filters?

lsquare
6th of December 2008 (Sat), 21:43
What are the advantages and disadvantages?

sapearl
6th of December 2008 (Sat), 21:49
Screw in filters will stay put when installed properly. What other type of filters were you considering?

tvphotog
6th of December 2008 (Sat), 22:10
Screw in filters are more compact and easier to slip into a camera bag fliter pac slot. However, Cokin style, while bulkier, allows you to vary the position of the change-over in the gradient to the upper or lower third of the photo when you want more sky, or more foreground.

krb
6th of December 2008 (Sat), 22:22
What are the advantages and disadvantages?

The advantage of the Lee and Cokin designs are that when you are using a graduated filter you can control not just the angle of the tinted section but also how much or how little of the scene is covered by the tinted area. That advantage only applies to graduated or multi-toned filters. With any type of solid color filter and with a polarizer there is no advantage whatsoever.

As for disadvantages: they are bulky, cannot be used with a lens hood attached and there's a risk of the fitler falling out of the holder

argyle
7th of December 2008 (Sun), 06:25
...As for disadvantages: they are bulky, cannot be used with a lens hood attached and there's a risk of the fitler falling out of the holder

Not totally true...can't speak for Cokin, but Lee has several hoods available to use in conjunction with their filter system (if you want to spend the money, that is). As far as filters falling out of the holder, I'd have to say IMO that its a rarely occurring problem...hasn't happened to me yet in nearly 30-years of shooting. If it does happen, it'd be most likely due to inattentiveness on the part of the user when positioning the filter or carelessness when inserting/removing.

Lowner
7th of December 2008 (Sun), 07:49
argyle,

The Cokin holder is also secure. No filter is ever going to "fall out".

argyle
7th of December 2008 (Sun), 08:03
argyle,

The Cokin holder is also secure. No filter is ever going to "fall out".

Never said that it wasn't...re-read my post.

Lowner
7th of December 2008 (Sun), 09:13
argyle,

No, you misunderstand. I was just adding to your Lee holder and filter information with my knowledge of the Cokin holder. Sorry if it came over as some kind of criticism, is was not meant as such at all.

Jon
7th of December 2008 (Sun), 09:26
A couple of other advantages to the square/rectangular filters - it's much easier to change filters without disturbing the camera or lens, say because you discovered experimentally that you needed a stronger ND filter (not grad) for a long exposure or because you're shooting IR and can't see through the filter to compose. The latter will give some baffling issues that you'll have to work around, but nothing insurmountable.

argyle
7th of December 2008 (Sun), 09:45
argyle,

No, you misunderstand. I was just adding to your Lee holder and filter information with my knowledge of the Cokin holder. Sorry if it came over as some kind of criticism, is was not meant as such at all.

No problem...simple misunderstanding on my part (I need to stop getting up so early on the weekends). ;)