PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Photography Class...artist statement HELP

sixty9sublime
7th of December 2008 (Sun), 01:57
We have finally gotten down to our final set of prints for the class and I just found out we need to submit an artist statement as well as the prints. So I'm kinda freaking' out right now because I picked the generic subject of a fire hydrant and have never written such a statement before.

Anyone written these before? Have any tips on what I could put into a statement about Fire Hydrants?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeremiah

Barb42
15th of December 2008 (Mon), 13:35
Sorry no one answered. Personally, I think artist statements are a joke and actually detract from the work. But I understand that this is required - I would suggest that you go out and look at some artist sites and see what they have done.

Mark1
15th of December 2008 (Mon), 14:28
Assignments like this suck! I had a "meaning of life" assignment once. It was imposable to write. As things motivate you, and inspire you, or even repell you, your "vision" will change. Possibly on a day to day... for that matter, hourly basis. There is no way to nail down one vision long enough to write it. SO I agree with Barb, vision statement are a joke and are for people who can't state it in their work.

But my suggestion to get you through this, is to write in general terms why you like photo and what about it inspires you and how what you capture has meaning to you.

bric-a-brac
3rd of January 2009 (Sat), 19:52
Sorry no one answered. Personally, I think artist statements are a joke and actually detract from the work.

I think you've either never read or written an effective one yourself. an artist statement is the sort of thing that chapters of books on art theory and criticism are written on.
a good artist statement is a preliminary guide to the work it discusses. it's the artist's one chance to tell the world why the art is meaningful and where it came from. It should explain what's trying to be achieved cumulatively- it's not demanding or directing, and it doesn't tell anyone HOW to interpret your work, but it will offer insight on the influences that the artist drew from and it will help direct viewers to particular points of consideration.

your series of fire hydrants could be a study of aesthetic formalism. it could be a journalistic index of different fire hydrants which, viewed together, tell us something about how they're used and regarded by society. It could be your personal relationship to a particular fire hydrant (a statement which would actually befuddle me and make me more curious to see the series).

I don't really know what your series of fire hydrants is about, but do you follow what I'm saying? You've got the opportunity to tell people, before they critique and judge you, to explain what they're looking at and why it's important. Whether or not they agree on its importance or if they don't feel that you have communicated your intentions well within the series is entirely a matter of how successful your body of images is, but at least you've got people considering the correct aspects of the work.

so ask yourself some of the following questions:

why did I choose fire hydrants?
what did I show in my images,individually and as a group?
what is the style I chose to photograph in, and
why is it effective?
what do I believe people should experience from my series?

hope that helps a little.

AlexMN
7th of January 2009 (Wed), 01:11
bric-a-brac, a nice explanation there, I presume that you have been an Art student at some point?

Stickman
31st of January 2009 (Sat), 18:26
Sorry no one answered. Personally, I think artist statements are a joke and actually detract from the work.

Agreed. There are too many people trying to pour their souls into something abstract so they can label it as art. What the image portraits to the viewer is more important than what the artist/ photographer was trying to say through their work.

Results count, not attempts.

chauncey
18th of February 2009 (Wed), 15:54
If you need to verbalize the story, you've already failed. The "philosophy" of the image is so much BS.
The image needs to speak for itself.

ricero
19th of February 2009 (Thu), 01:56
I've tried to write one. I didn't find it easy.

throughlens
11th of March 2010 (Thu), 17:32
I don't like when you have to make a statement about something that not necessary needs a statement or even more, it should not have an statement.

Try to keep your digital art without statements when isn't neccesary.