PDA

View Full Version : What HD option would you recommend?

LAW2
8th of December 2008 (Mon), 11:25
I placed an order but I have 24hrs to change it and I could use some advice.

I built a laptop and the HD options are
1. 320gb, 5,400 or
2. 250gb, 7,200 for an additional $50.

What would you do?

I'm not sure if the speed difference would be worth the drop in HD size. How often does the computer access the HD while using photoshop? I've experienced that when the HD is close to being full it really slows things down, but at what % of usage does that occur?
Would the faster HD be louder, hotter, run down the battery quicker, etc?
I'm looking for the pros and cons of each option.

I have two external HDs (320, 500) that I store my pictures on now, but they are used as backups to each other. My current HD is so small (80gb) I can't keep much on it.

IDK, please help.

OdiN1701
8th of December 2008 (Mon), 13:45
I'd always get a 7200 RPM over a 5400 RPM for a primary drive.

BeritOlam
8th of December 2008 (Mon), 14:30
Given that HDD's continue to get cheaper and cheaper, the extra space (70gigs) really isn't all that big of a deal.

What is a bigger deal is the speed of your primary drive....and 7200 will be *noticeably* faster than a 5400 drive.

For $50 extra, I think it borders on a no-brainer upgrade. Especially when you consider you're looking at probably a minimum of 2 years on that HDD as your main HDD. That's a lot of time on a computer (even with average use) to be chugging along at 5400 rpm.

CyberDyneSystems
8th of December 2008 (Mon), 16:04
I've not used a 7200 laptop drive yet, and frankly I'm not sure they are a great idea.
Heat, and power demands make speed anathema for laptops.

I'd go with the 5400 for that reason, and sacrifice speed for lower temps, lower power consumption, and more storage with lower cost.

ChasP505
8th of December 2008 (Mon), 21:39
I've not used a 7200 laptop drive yet, and frankly I'm not sure they are a great idea.
Heat, and power demands make speed anathema for laptops.

I agree with this unless the laptop is going to be used for gaming.

LAW2
9th of December 2008 (Tue), 07:16
Thanks everyone. I went ahead and upgraded to the faster HD even though I could not determine the bit density of the faster HD.

I read that due to bit density some of the newer and larger HD that run slower (5,400 rpm) could actually be faster to access than the older and smaller 7,200 rpm versions.

This is primarily used at home plugged in so I thought power usage probably wasn't a big deal.