PDA

View Full Version : Full length photo

Tort
10th of December 2008 (Wed), 12:54
Hello
Iím new to photography I recently got a SLR camera I want to take modeling, wedding and dance picture of people. I was told that a 55-200 zoom lens would be great, but I can only do portraits or half-length pictures. I need to do full body pictures. Did I get the wrong lens? I can get a full body in the frame is I am really far away but then the subject is not clear and there to much background. Do I need a wide angel lens? Please help me pick the best lens to get thanks

mai_lin
10th of December 2008 (Wed), 12:57
hmm... you can make any lens do full length pictures - just depends on how far away you are from the subject.

If you want to get into modelling a zoom lens probably isn't going to be the 'best' lens for that purpose. A 'prime' (non-zoom) lens would be better. You can't be the 50mm f/1.8 for its price at less than $100 - its my favorite lens.

Also - don't plan on making with your photos anytime soon - you need to take 10,000+ pictures before you can even say you know your camera enough - no lie.

Jen D.

Tort
10th of December 2008 (Wed), 15:26
Yah but if I'm to far away I don't get a good clear detailed image, I'm taking pictures of models so I want to see the full body with details of face and clothes. I want to stand only about 6-18ft away. Right now I have to stand about 40 ft away to get that whole person in the shot and then there no detail of the person.

Also I'm not trying to "make it" with my photos

hmm... you can make any lens do full length pictures - just depends on how far away you are from the subject.

If you want to get into modelling a zoom lens probably isn't going to be the 'best' lens for that purpose. A 'prime' (non-zoom) lens would be better. You can't be the 50mm f/1.8 for its price at less than $100 - its my favorite lens.

Also - don't plan on making with your photos anytime soon - you need to take 10,000+ pictures before you can even say you know your camera enough - no lie.

Jen D.

InsaneSkippy
11th of December 2008 (Thu), 23:27
This might seem obvious, but have you tried turning the camera 90 degrees to allow for a "taller" picture?

egordon99
12th of December 2008 (Fri), 08:28
bw!

This might seem obvious, but have you tried turning the camera 90 degrees to allow for a "taller" picture?

I have no problems getting clear details full-length shots of 1/2 people with my 70-200mm, I do have to stand a bit back. What I usually do is position myself so at 70mm I can get a portait oriented full body shot. I can then stay in one position and zoom in to 200mm for more details (half-body, face closeups, etc...) This generally works better outside.

BUT, you'll probably want to get a shorter zoom lens as well. Since you're just starting out, the 18-55 IS would be a good idea, then you'll learn how to work with all the focal lengths from 18 to 250mm.

Regarding framing, it all comes down to (1)Where you are standing and (2)How much of the scene you capture. Read up on perspective and pay attention to how focal length/distance to subject play into things.

Good luck!