PDA

View Full Version : Posing

primetime34
15th of December 2008 (Mon), 21:22
I know this is a weird question and I know that you might tell me to simply "go with what feels good", but I have a question and need some help. I feel like I've got a pretty good feel for exposure, sharpness, composition, and PP. However, I need some help with knowing how to 'pose' people. Individual shots, couple shots, dance shots (like Prom, etc), family portraits, etc. I don't know where to start, what to look at, or what might be good. Are there any websites, books, DVDs, tutorials, etc that might help with this? Thanks!

skygod44
15th of December 2008 (Mon), 21:30
I've not done model shoots for about 20 years now, but would have to say that "posing" people is almost an art in itself!

I'd suggest you get some replys from the guys in the G&N section. With a beautiful, experienced model, it's certainly easier to "pose" them, but with family, friends etc..... "Bloody nightmare!" springs to mind!

But just a few tips would be:
Shoot a l-l-l-l-l-lot of pictures. With digital, you're not blowing film on wasted shots. The reason I'd do this straight out though, is to get them used to you taking pictures. A chunky DSLR can look very daunting from the "sharp end!"

Next, to look like humans and not robots, people need to act like people! No odd stances. If they like chatting, chat to them! Locations help a lot too - somewhere familiar, comfortable, "normal" helps put people at ease.

Good luck and get some more opinions from those shooting top stuff (like you can see on POTN) asap!

Benji
16th of December 2008 (Tue), 08:47
Someone once said "practice makes perfect" but in reality when posing people you can shoot and shoot and shoot and never get any better because there are so many mistakes that can be made. (Now that statement is fodder for the "artists" here.) :-) You can of course make thousands of captures and draw up your own conclusions about what looks good and what does not, but I have a better idea.

The biggest proplem I see is that while you CAN break some of the rules some of the time you CANNOT break all (or even most) of them in any one image and expect it to look beautiful.

Since posing is an art form itself one cannot positively state how many rules you can break in one image and still have an image that most everyone will like.

I have written a free tutorial on the rules of good portraiture and about 72000 others have checked it out so far. http://photocamel.com/forum/tutorials/16516-rules-good-portraiture.html

Benji

Joesus
18th of December 2008 (Thu), 14:47
Someone once said "practice makes perfect" but in reality when posing people you can shoot and shoot and shoot and never get any better because there are so many mistakes that can be made. (Now that statement is fodder for the "artists" here.) :-) You can of course make thousands of captures and draw up your own conclusions about what looks good and what does not, but I have a better idea.

The biggest proplem I see is that while you CAN break some of the rules some of the time you CANNOT break all (or even most) of them in any one image and expect it to look beautiful.

Since posing is an art form itself one cannot positively state how many rules you can break in one image and still have an image that most everyone will like.

I have written a free tutorial on the rules of good portraiture and about 72000 others have checked it out so far. http://photocamel.com/forum/tutorials/16516-rules-good-portraiture.html

Benji

Thanks, just what i was looking for :)

AustinRoepke
3rd of January 2009 (Sat), 21:25
Benji, I've looked at your thread, and it's quite frankly one of the best and most useful I've ever seen. Thank you for all of the insight into correct portraiture!

jhcanon
10th of January 2009 (Sat), 09:50
Have to say I've made use of Benji's tutorial materal and found it invaluable. Really helps build your confidence. Thanks Benji

jm_usmc
10th of January 2009 (Sat), 13:30
Benji, I've looked at your thread, and it's quite frankly one of the best and most useful I've ever seen. Thank you for all of the insight into correct portraiture!

I agree completely.