PDA

View Full Version : Is it redundant to buy an HD camcorder if you have a 5DII?

col4bin
23rd of December 2008 (Tue), 09:53
Was thinking about getting one of the Canon flash based models but I am trying to figure out if it is redundant.

Matthew Craggs
23rd of December 2008 (Tue), 11:18
What kind of video do you record?

If you're shooting short films, it probably is redundant. Your kids basketball game, probably not.

col4bin
23rd of December 2008 (Tue), 11:44
I am looking for something to shoot video primarily while on vacation. I will always have my 5DII with me however it might not always be appropriate to stop and set up on a tripod.

Zepher
23rd of December 2008 (Tue), 11:54
Use the 5D MkII to shoot some video and see if it fits your needs.

nheilweil
27th of December 2008 (Sat), 01:39
Not the same as a camcorder! The lack of a suitable AF really limits one's ability to use this for anything not still or staged. I've got the 5DMkII and love it but really regret selling my Sony HD camcorder before realizing that the 5D's not a replacement! It is quite beautiful for the things it's well designed for. But terrible for any casual video shooting!

muscleflex
27th of December 2008 (Sat), 04:30
I agree with the above. would you get rid of your canon's because you have the latest 8mp camera phone? ;-)

Twisted Image
27th of December 2008 (Sat), 17:33
I used my 5DmkII to record christmas morning at my house. It did a wonderful job. Auto Focus was fine the only limit would be the length of recording and I do agree with the tripod set up sometimes being and inconvenience...

The Wife gave me the go-ahead for the 5D because of the video featureand the fact that we have been talking about getting a video camera for some time now.

I am a happy customer