PDA

View Full Version : When will they come?

NewbiePicMaker
29th of December 2008 (Mon), 08:45
I'm new to photography and really new to bird shooting, I live in NE GA on 10 acres with lots of birds around.

So I set up a feeder stand with wild bird seed, a suet cake and a thistle sock on Saturday.

Sooooooo, when will they find it? It's been quite rainny here the last couple of days.

gymell
29th of December 2008 (Mon), 11:48
Be patient, it might take a few days or even a few weeks.

Hikin Mike
29th of December 2008 (Mon), 14:48
Sooooooo, when will they find it?

Tuesday @ 1:23:34 PM. :lol:

Like Liz said...give it time. :D

andrewhuxman
29th of December 2008 (Mon), 16:25
They will be there shortly .:D:D Like Liz said it may take just days and then it might take weeks...... you are gonna find out .

dmmiller
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 14:24
I'm in the same boat as you ... I had birds land on my tree out front,
and now that I hung up some bird feed, they've flown the coop. lol
Hoping they'll be back soon.

NewbiePicMaker
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 08:28
It is weird, I walk around my property and see and hear a variety of feathered friends so after months of looking at this forum I became inspired to give it a try and a friend gave me her old bird stand so I put it up and hang a bunch of stuff...not only no bird but I've sat outside and it's like they've all gone...LOL...I do hope they come back!

Hikin Mike
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 16:40
It is weird, I walk around my property and see and hear a variety of feathered friends so after months of looking at this forum I became inspired to give it a try and a friend gave me her old bird stand so I put it up and hang a bunch of stuff...not only no bird but I've sat outside and it's like they've all gone...LOL...I do hope they come back!

What kind of seed are you using? I use Black Oil Sunflower Seed. Also, some birds prefer the ground like Sparrows, Juncos and Finches. I have a 'stump' and I spread seed there.

Good luck!

NewbiePicMaker
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 17:07
Mixed wild bird seed in a feeder and on the ground on top of a tree stump, a thistle sock and a suet cake. I also spreed a bunch of the mixed all around on the ground. Sooo anything else I should be doing?

Hikin Mike
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 19:31
Candles, red wine and music? :lol:

Sounds like your set. :cool:

snyderman
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 19:38
Pretty sure it was Mitch, (Canonloader) who talked about planting sticks/limbs into the ground near your feeders as the birds like to scope out the situation prior to grazing at the buffet. Birds land on perch, you shoot.

We live in suburbia (up north) and I tied a tree limb to my deck near a feeder. Took the bluejays about 5 minutes to find the food. Booby trapped the feeder with peanuts. They were there instantly!

Hung another feeder into a less conspicuous place on my property, but right outside two windows in the house. It took a full two weeks for the small guys to find it and start hanging in the trees for pictures. Today was a bonanza. I got about 200 shots and 25 (or so) keepers!

Tomorrow is supposed to be clear, so I'm going to set up shot at the window and shoot early tomorrow morning. Expect to see some posted.

Keep watch. They'll come. Then, shoot and post!

dave

NewbiePicMaker
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 21:01
Um I live in rural NE GA on 10 acres mostly of mixed hardwoods and adjacent to additional 40 acres in woods. I set the feeder stand about 10 to 20 feet from the edge of the woods in a 100'x100' clearing (my old arena now covered in grass) and there's cover closer. It's just odd that I've not seen any birds at all in the last couple of days while walking my property. While out today running errands I saw several Red Tails, crows, buzzards ect...but the silence is pretty wierd here.

Naturalist
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 21:06
As mentioned previously, the birds will find the feeders and be sure to use quality seeds and not that mixed crap.

Black Oiled Sunflower seeds
Peanut hearts
Suet in winter
Thistle seeds, too.

After they arrive and begin to frequent, keep the feeders stocked.

gymell
1st of January 2009 (Thu), 08:39
Even though I've had my feeders up for a few years, and they are popular with the birds, there are still times where there is a lull in activity. Sometimes it will go a few weeks with hardly and visitors, and then it will pick up again. Since your feeders are new, it's just going to take a while for the birds to find your feeders. Like I said before, it may be couple of weeks. You said you just set this up on Saturday, so it hasn't been a week yet.

NewbiePicMaker
1st of January 2009 (Thu), 20:58
They're here...well at least one little Chickadee:D What a brave soul too...one of my creepy neigbors was shooting onto the back of my property and some fererl dogs on the property next door wouldn't shut up:rolleyes: Not exactly peace and quiet:mad:

RandyMN
1st of January 2009 (Thu), 21:07
Chicadee's always are the first to investigate.

Very curious bird, and all I have to do is add a feeder or change food in one and they will be the first to show.

nwyman
7th of January 2009 (Wed), 20:36
They're here...well at least one little Chickadee:D What a brave soul too...one of my creepy neigbors was shooting onto the back of my property and some fererl dogs on the property next door wouldn't shut up:rolleyes: Not exactly peace and quiet:mad:

If this helps any, I have barkie dogs as do my neighbors - and when the birds are hungry, the barking doesn't seem to faze them.
I've found that the feeders are busy at some times of the day, and absolutely deserted at others.
Best times here (Maryland) are around nine thirty in the morning, again around eleven thirty and then right before the sun sets (or when it gets really dark; we haven't seen the actual sun for a couple of days). They seem to eat in rotation. Chickadees and titmice come in first, followed by finches, then cardinals, and wrens. The blue jays show up sometimes, and then everyone else sort of scatters to wait their turns.
The woodpeckers feeding station is set in a clearing in the woods and they seem to like suet and peanuts. The weather has turned slightly colder lately, so they are hitting the suet logs in preference to the peanut feeder and ignore the suet cakes.
All in all, the are pretty picky little devils.

Since you are in Georgia, you might not get much activity on the suet at all - I know in these parts they don't start on it until temps get to freezing. Which has hardly happened at all so far this winter.
One other thing - if a big storm is on the way, they know ahead of time and start to fill up for the big event.

canonloader
8th of January 2009 (Thu), 08:33
When I started, it took three weeks for the first bird to appear. I had feeders hung from tree limbs and nothing. I was wondering what was going on. Then someone mentioned that the birds can't see it under the tree, as they fly over. So I put some seeds on a flat piece of wood on a little yard table, right out in the open. BAM, ten minutes and I had a downy woodpecker and titmice hitting it. Once they find it though, they can then find the other feeders hanging under the trees. And once they find those, well, birds have longer memories than elephants.

A word of caution though, once you start feeding them, you can't stop. They come to depend on that food being there 24/7/365, they even raise families on the knowledge that there is endless food for their kids. You just can't stop once you have a menagerie going.