PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose something short and fast

montanafan
29th of December 2008 (Mon), 16:04
I'm extremely limited in where I can stand for a straight on shot under the basket. I can only stand at either corner of the backboard and two feet from the court. A 50mm lens is too long. An f/2.8 won't cut it.

I posted about this last year, but then I was trying to correct the problem by using a flash with my my 28-70mm f/2.8. That didn't work out too well, so now I'm going to buy one of these lenses for the length and aperture I need. My main question is:

Which of these should I choose for fast and sharp focusing?

Canon Wide Angle EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Autofocus

Sigma Normal 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM Autofocus

Canon Wide Angle EF 35mm f/2.0 Autofocus

I know there are some nicer lenses out there than these, but the Canon 28mm at $409 is about the most I'd want to pay right now.

Thanks for reading.

Dennis_Hammer
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 08:56
Personally love the 35mm but not sure what your objective shot wise is. If it's individual or a pair of players that would work but anything more encompassing probably not as well. Also keep mind the distortion of a wide angle especially in action shots as they are sometimes in unnatural position further emphasizing the distortion.

eigga
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 09:38
Buy more flash and learn how to make it work. For 400 you can get an Alien Bee and maybe the Bee triggers too