PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for Photo Trip in Alaska

tszumowski
29th of December 2008 (Mon), 20:39
The wife is treating me to a photo trip to Alaska for my 50th birthday. I'm looking for a recommendation on a good guided photo tour. Ideally I'd like to shoot the bears, bald eagles and landscapes. I've checked out the ads in the back of Popular Photography and Outdoor Photography. They all sound great, but I'd really like to hear from someone that has first hand experience.

Thanks.

sue.t
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 17:26
Well, you could follow us around next September, but you'll need a camper of some sort!

Seriously ... I've not done a photo tour or heard good or bad about any of the tour providers, but having travelled the north in all seasons, and also having lived there for many moons years ago, I recommend going in late August or early September. The bears and eagles are usually abundant during that time of year. The fall colours are striking and provide wonderful contrast.

This tour operator is well-situated to provide you access to your preferred subjects: http://www.alaskaphotographytours.com/. Again, I don't know anything about them, but the location of the lodge is ideal for your targets.

JoeTwelvePack
2nd of January 2009 (Fri), 11:19
You might try PhotoQuest Adventures. I just got back from the Galapagos with them and the did a good job. Several of the folks had been on their Alaska tour last year and they had all sorts of Bear pics.

Ole Joe

4huskers
2nd of January 2009 (Fri), 17:03
If you're going to Denali National Park take the shuttle bus into the park. We did in June, 2007 and saw grizzlies, caribou, fox, Dall Sheep, and moose. Along with the scenery the shuttle bus ride has to be one of the best deals in Alaska.

Canuck
3rd of January 2009 (Sat), 00:22
I can't recommend any tours per say, but I can recommend locations:
Kenai Peninsula, from Homer North to Nikisi also on the Seward Hwy, Dall Sheep/Bald Eagles can be found.
Anchorage area: Eagle River Nature Centre - Always saw moose there, but it can be some fair hiking, plus you get back far enough and hit the Eagle River and get the cool blue water with mountains. There is also a gimme shot about 1/10 mile in on the boardwalk...can't miss it!
Heading North to Fairbanks, kinda pot luck. There is a reindeer farm in Palmer, which is marked on Hwy 1 (Glenn Hwy). Hanging to the left, Parks Hwy takes you thru Wasilla and later to Talkeetna/Denali. There is a great shot up there from Talkeetna of Denali on a clear day. I'd show off some of my pics, but I ditched the gallery in late 2007. I lost interest in maintaining it and after 8000+ hits and 10 comments that sealed the deal.

Tom Reichner
8th of January 2009 (Thu), 23:02
Hello, tszumowski! I've no firsthand experience, either, but thought you may like to look at Dea Vogel's wildlife images from Alaska. She goes every year, I believe. She has lots of experience in Alaska and may be very helpful to you if you care to contact her. Here is a link to the Denali page of her website: http://www.deavogel.com/gallery/natlparks/denali/index.html
- Tom

Canonswhitelensesrule
16th of January 2009 (Fri), 21:02
One thing you might want to look into is a small boat tour from one of the local coastal towns that allow you to cruise MUCH MUCH closer to the floating icebergs, glaciers etc than the large cruise ships allow. You'll likely get much better photo ops than you would if you took a commercial cruise. They have various itineraries, depending on what exactly you wish to see.

RikWriter
16th of January 2009 (Fri), 21:06
One thing you might want to look into is a small boat tour from one of the local coastal towns that allow you to cruise MUCH MUCH closer to the floating icebergs, glaciers etc than the large cruise ships allow. You'll likely get much better photo ops than you would if you took a commercial cruise. They have various itineraries, depending on what exactly you wish to see.

Any in particular that you recommend? I am taking my family to Alaska in July and I was planning on taking a glacier day cruise out of Whittier perhaps.

Canonswhitelensesrule
16th of January 2009 (Fri), 21:19
Any in particular that you recommend? I am taking my family to Alaska in July and I was planning on taking a glacier day cruise out of Whittier perhaps.

Here are a couple of tours.

http://www.whittiertours.com/tours/tourType.cfm?ttid2=1667

Dave 1942
22nd of January 2009 (Thu), 12:39
We went to Alaska in 2007 and I took my 20D with a 28-135L and a 100-400L lens and it covered all the images I took with no problem.. I also too 4-4gb CF cards and my laptop..

Dave