PDA

View Full Version : What to spend $100 on ... with a catch

Amamba
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 17:30
The catch is, it's a Best Buy gift card. Yes, the BB - a store full of grossly overpriced merchandise and clueless teenage sales people...

What would you spend it on ? I was thinking about Bibble Lite but they don't carry it. And obviously a lens is out of question.

Just need an idea...

StageOne
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 17:37
What about a portable/external hardrive to backup your images. You should be able to find a nice solution under $100.

SnlpeR
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 17:38
cf cards
and other storage

SkipD
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 17:39
I second the motion for a USB-connected portable hard drive.

thebrewer
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 17:49
They have had some good deals on the WD passport drives recently.

sanity1082
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 20:17
They have had some good deals on the WD passport drives recently.

if you go that route and they arent on sale wait a week and they will be

Diesel_Dog
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 23:29
Card reader?

Zander Albertson
30th of December 2008 (Tue), 23:40
2nd the external drive suggestion... I just got a 500GB Seagate Go from them, with the docking station, for $85.

Daniel W.
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 00:45
Try and get lucky with a price-competition policy and see if they beat the priceof anything local.

Or blank media (DVDR's) and hard drives.

bps
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 00:46
I'm glad this question was posted. I received a $100 BB gift card over a year ago and I've been sitting on it not knowing what to buy. (it's hard to buy something at BB knowing that you could get it much cheaper on-line)

I'm going to keep a close eye on this thread!

Bryan

EVANDIXONdotCOM
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 16:21
Go to the checkout line, find a guy buying a TV or something, and sell him the card. Buy something you actually want somewhere else.

Josephine
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 16:35
Go to the checkout line, find a guy buying a TV or something, and sell him the card. Buy something you actually want somewhere else.

i like this idea the most... Best Buy sucks... unless you need a card reader/cards

teo-bingus
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 16:40
Sometimes the store doesn't carry everything bestbuy actually sells. I had to order something online because I too was cursed with a bestbuy giftcard. ;D

Make sure your card isn't "losing value" because you've held it too long. IIRC after a year they can charge a "service fee" which will eventually deplete the card completely.

TaDa
31st of December 2008 (Wed), 16:45
Their prices on portable hard drives are pretty decent. That's the route I'd go. I'm up to 3TBs of space and growing.

GSansoucie
1st of January 2009 (Thu), 00:30
A gift card cannot loose value. I heard somewhere that is unconstitutional.

Would that be a government card then? ;-)

You can also do the buy online and pickup at store, it can save you some $$ as well.

As a rule, things are usually cheaper online (Amazon), but not always. There are a lot of things that BestBuy has gotten in bulk and have passed on the savings (loss leaders to get customers in). Some expensive things too, like my 40D (at the time, there were no deals on the 40D anywhere, all retailers got the same price).

Do you use Photoshop Elements? You can buy it from them as well (plus get a rebate if you are upgrading).

The External Drive idea is a good one, they have some good deals from time to time on drives.

How about printer ink?

Jon
1st of January 2009 (Thu), 09:22
A gift card cannot loose value. I heard somewhere that is unconstitutional.It may be locally illegal but it's hardly unconstitutional. And generally it's illegal only because enough consumers complained to their government reps to get a law passed.

Eagle i
1st of January 2009 (Thu), 18:54
A gift card cannot loose value. I heard somewhere that is unconstitutional.
you better read the fine print

Karl Johnston
3rd of January 2009 (Sat), 04:01
How about a nice 4 gb CF card IV for yours truly?

bps
3rd of January 2009 (Sat), 04:05
After reading through this thread, I'm eyeing a Seagate FreeAgent Go portable drive. They have the 500GB version with a free dock and a free case for approx $130. (I have $125 in gift cards)

Bryan

shaner123
3rd of January 2009 (Sat), 19:22
if it were ME i would throw in another 30 bucks and get a nice little point and shoot to keep in the car.

iqbal624
4th of January 2009 (Sun), 11:40
add some cash and get a grip. that shouldn't be too overpriced. maybe i'm wrong...