PDA

View Full Version : How Precise is Precision?

The Ghost of FM
7th of January 2009 (Wed), 23:31
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/thefontmeister/VV4G0602copy1024x606.jpg

Cheers!

forsakenme720
8th of January 2009 (Thu), 21:18
I like the vignetting. I think I've seen one of these before. Someone in my communications class did a speech and brought in a tool that looked just like that.

nemo man
9th of January 2009 (Fri), 06:58
Is that a micometer? I was looking for one of those the other day! Nice shot. Good emphasis on the gauge with the use of vignetting.

The Ghost of FM
9th of January 2009 (Fri), 08:06
Thanks for the feedback on the shot! I appreciate it.

I'm not 100% sure if this is a micro meter, though the gauge can real down to .001 of an inch so I guess it qualifies?

The vignetting was accomplished by carefully lighting the scene and afterward, enhancing the effect in Photoshop on the outer edges of the frame. Suspending the meter in mid air to get the drop shadows was the trickier part of setting up the shot as I had to find a means of getting the meter up off the backdrop material and accomplished that with a heavy duty C clamp out of view of the frame.

Cheers!

hofajoab
9th of January 2009 (Fri), 08:37
Vernier Calipers? like the Moderntools brand, the look pretty old :lol:

The Ghost of FM
9th of January 2009 (Fri), 08:54
It is old!

It belonged to my late father and he acquired it in the 60's so not an official antique yet but getting there! ;)

Cheers!

Tubbed440
9th of January 2009 (Fri), 09:15

Yes, they are called "dial calipers". You can see why. :lol:

acchildress
10th of January 2009 (Sat), 17:48
They may be old but they are still making and using tools just like this. There are more elaborate and expensive tools and even electronic reading calipers but it is still a very accurate way to measure thickness and depth.

Naturalist
10th of January 2009 (Sat), 17:53
I like the photo. The slight vignette helps place emphasis on it. The instrument has definitely been around the block!