PDA

View Full Version : Nikon on the offensive?

robinlawr
10th of January 2009 (Sat), 17:52
Forgive me if this has been raised elsewhere but has anybody else heard of a campaign by Nikon to reverse the dominance of Canon white lenses by offering to buy these lenses from professional users (rumour is that these are then being crushed) and offering very attractive discounts to switch to Nikon equipment?

I wonder what response Canon's response will be. Does anyone know?

R

Stems
10th of January 2009 (Sat), 18:14
Never heard of it, is there an article or source on it?

dave kadolph
10th of January 2009 (Sat), 18:37
Could be some truth to it.

Read this link to sportsshooter (http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1967).

Several others along the same line.

Stems
10th of January 2009 (Sat), 20:29
That's just...incredible to be honest, especially that article :confused:

Perry Ge
11th of January 2009 (Sun), 00:57
That's very cool, if true. Good goin' Nikon.

But we all know the real reason for this...all the Nikon staff actually shoot Canon, and they wanna get cheap deals on used gear :cool:.

canadianbacon52
11th of January 2009 (Sun), 01:03
That's just...incredible to be honest, especially that article :confused:

Look when that article was written. I think that was before Canon fixed the Mark III focusing problem, can't really blame him.

I've shot with a D3, and it is a really impressive camera. That being said, I'm still here for a number of other reasons. Here's hoping that Canon gets back ahead of Nikon in the body department like it was for 5 years :).

grego
11th of January 2009 (Sun), 01:15
If Canon loses the pro crowd, they'll be forced to step up their game with the next release, so that's good for the Canon consumer.

Perry Ge
11th of January 2009 (Sun), 01:18
If Canon loses the pro crowd, they'll be forced to step up their game with the next release, so that's good for the Canon consumer.

You're confusing Canon for Nikon. Canon's pro-features don't trickle down into their consumer products :p.

Look at it this way, Nikon is clearly marketing more aggresively, but this comes at a hefty cost. Canon has yet to feel the need to step up the marketing. But they will when it becomes financially sound to do so. Look at how Microsoft has just started to step up its response to Apple.

DennisW1
11th of January 2009 (Sun), 01:28
If you also read the Sportsshooter article closely, he bought all the Nikon gear out of his own pocket without any financial assistance from Nikon, nor was any mention made of Nikon offering to take his Canon gear in trade.

Nor was any mention made of any discounts offered on the Nikon gear just because he was switching from Canon.

I sincerely doubt either Canon or Nikon would be willing to spend the money, or more accurately waste it, in buying up the competition's glass only to destroy it. That makes no financial sense. I suppose it could be possible that Nikon, or for that matter Canon, might offer some financial consideration in certain cases but I've not heard any reliable report of it.

Just another rumor, IMO.

grego
11th of January 2009 (Sun), 02:09
You're confusing Canon for Nikon. Canon's pro-features don't trickle down into their consumer products :p.

Look at it this way, Nikon is clearly marketing more aggresively, but this comes at a hefty cost. Canon has yet to feel the need to step up the marketing. But they will when it becomes financially sound to do so. Look at how Microsoft has just started to step up its response to Apple.

Oh, once in a while they do, but even then, Canon came out with the 1D Mark III which had the potential to take the lead. But with its issues, it lost a lot of photographers. Even if the issues were cleaned up, the damage was already done.

We'll see what happens with their next 1D series release.

Canon, to me is being lazy, now that they are on top, even though they are much less higher than they were a year ago.

condyk
11th of January 2009 (Sun), 03:27
I see 'sense' in it as a strategy aimed at a key audience if they have the cash flow to support it but I doubt they do. After all, it's just generous part-exchange but then not selling the Canon stuff on. Maybe they did it before the Olympics and so have reaped the benefit of that profile.

dave kadolph
11th of January 2009 (Sun), 03:54
If you also read the Sportsshooter article closely, he bought all the Nikon gear out of his own pocket without any financial assistance from Nikon, nor was any mention made of Nikon offering to take his Canon gear in trade.

Nor was any mention made of any discounts offered on the Nikon gear just because he was switching from Canon.

I sincerely doubt either Canon or Nikon would be willing to spend the money, or more accurately waste it, in buying up the competition's glass only to destroy it. That makes no financial sense. I suppose it could be possible that Nikon, or for that matter Canon, might offer some financial consideration in certain cases but I've not heard any reliable report of it.

Just another rumor, IMO.

I guess there are 2 unanswered questions then.

Why did the gear ship from Nikon Professional Services if it was sold through a retailer--and what kind of "help" did they provide ;)

CAL Imagery
11th of January 2009 (Sun), 10:49
This sounds like Nikon would lose way too much money. If properly executed, it could lead to better marketing, but the benefits would take a while to reap.

F4 Cyborg
12th of January 2009 (Mon), 12:23
Nikon is in hopes that if they can swing the pro's, the prosumers will follow.
What do you think the odd's are that in the back room, Canon and Nikon are playing card's. ( hey Can, yes Nik, you think they will ever catch on? About what Nik? All the hoop'la we have them going thru. They spend so much time arguing over which is better, they forget its about the photographer. I hear ya Nik but, you know Canons are better, now shut up and Deal,//// I'll see you and raise 3 meg's.

randomlinh
13th of January 2009 (Tue), 14:27
Nikon is in hopes that if they can swing the pro's, the prosumers will follow.
What do you think the odd's are that in the back room, Canon and Nikon are playing card's. ( hey Can, yes Nik, you think they will ever catch on? About what Nik? All the hoop'la we have them going thru. They spend so much time arguing over which is better, they forget its about the photographer. I hear ya Nik but, you know Canons are better, now shut up and Deal,//// I'll see you and raise 3 meg's.
I see FAR more prosumers using Nikon than Canon around here. Even before the D90/D300/D700.

dave kadolph
13th of January 2009 (Tue), 17:27
I see FAR more prosumers using Nikon than Canon around here. Even before the D90/D300/D700.

Nikon had a very aggressive marketing campaign before Christmas--and my local B&M said they were putting some money in on the side to allow them to sell below cost.

So you get the entry level consumer--and the disgruntled pro.

With enough patience the middle market will follow--IMHO

MLphoto
13th of January 2009 (Tue), 18:10
Hopefully canon has a strong strong come back in 2009, they're will need it... because i swear these days everyone is buying nikon.

FOX2PRO
13th of January 2009 (Tue), 21:32
It's all Ashton Kutcher's fault. I hate those ads.

F4 Cyborg
14th of January 2009 (Wed), 09:11
I hear ya Nik but, you know Canons are better, now shut up and Deal,//// I'll see you and raise 3 meg's.

The games afoot.

Air is air, or is it?
How many bottled waters are there?

6meg's makes a clean A3 size print.
Now theRe must of been a huff, ISO paper size's.
Shades of grey, or shade's of Red - Green - Blue.

The very best camera there is, the one you want to have beyond all others is
\/
\/
\/
\/
it is "THE ONE YOU WILL USE"

I was standing near the Toner supplies looking at gel's, when I heard a buz and the ground started to shake. All of us there started to back away from the front of the store. All of a sudden a spark causing the bottle of brew the store owner had hidden behind the counter to flash, the film rack went up hitting the florescent lights. That caused the quasi-dilateral-flux-a-nominator to whirl out of control- creating a Gama infused inferred spectral explosion, throwing me into the Canon case as, a burst of methane gas released from my earlier lunch. When I woke up I was Canon infused.
Thats why I use Canon
Had I been like that bloke at the other end near the Nikon counter, I guess I'm be a greater at the local Wally store.

SLR, P&S, DSLR, DDSLR (medium format) or, DDDSLR (large format), as long as you use it and you like it, what does it mater what the label say's.

Stems
14th of January 2009 (Wed), 14:13
SLR, P&S, DSLR, DDSLR (medium format) or, DDDSLR (large format), as long as you use it and you like it, what does it mater what the label say's.

Couldn't of said it better myself bw!

FlyingPhotog
14th of January 2009 (Wed), 14:16
Nikon had a very aggressive marketing campaign before Christmas--and my local B&M said they were putting some money in on the side to allow them to sell below cost.

So you get the entry level consumer--and the disgruntled pro.

With enough patience the middle market will follow--IMHO

The ol' Divide and Conquer marketing method.

Hook the newbies who then see the Pros using black lenses and yellow straps and you've got a long term buyer.

west walker
14th of January 2009 (Wed), 22:04
I have not heard of this rumor, but I did hear today that Nikon raised their prices 20%. That is quite a jump. I shoot Canon and my husband shoots Nikon. I wonder if Canon will do the same. west walker

Brianbar
15th of January 2009 (Thu), 19:58
I personally can't see Canon doing this, it would cost them a fortune.
When I worked for an American manufacture, (don't ask who) I would on occasions (with permission from HO) buy up ALL of a competitors product from a distributor and have them replace it with our product at the same value with no cost to the distributor.(Gave full value credit for the competitors product). Of course we had to sweeten the deal to make them want to change to us, we were at that time number one in the industry ( I guess like Canon).
I could see this being of benefit to both parties involved, and yes we did scrap the competitors products, and I'm talking about thousands and thousands of dollars.
Brian

Bubble
15th of January 2009 (Thu), 20:42
if they let me trade in my 600IS for their 600VR (even trade) then i'm very happy. :)

droopy1592
16th of January 2009 (Fri), 02:39
With the focus issues I was having with my XSi and now the banding problems with my 50D I'm almost ready to jump to the D300

motion_projekt
16th of January 2009 (Fri), 03:16
i know that Agence France-Presse got a mean discount on nikon glass...they purchased 400mm f/2.8s instead of 300mm f/2.8s because the 400s were offered cheaper by nikon to them.

adam*
16th of January 2009 (Fri), 16:53
Haven't AFP, AP and Getty all gone Nikon? Leaving what, just Reuters canon?

DarthVader
16th of January 2009 (Fri), 17:09
Nikon marketing calls Canon photographers asking if they're happy with their equipments...lure them to the darkside...

Forgive me if this has been raised elsewhere but has anybody else heard of a campaign by Nikon to reverse the dominance of Canon white lenses by offering to buy these lenses from professional users (rumour is that these are then being crushed) and offering very attractive discounts to switch to Nikon equipment?

I wonder what response Canon's response will be. Does anyone know?

R

motion_projekt
17th of January 2009 (Sat), 00:19

as far as i know AP is still Canon. I was apart of the white house press pool, and the AP shooters were using canon. from what i know a friend of mines who's good friend works for Getty still uses canon...

so as far as i know only AFP uses nikon.

FlyingPhotog
17th of January 2009 (Sat), 03:20
From the last Super Bowl at Glendale, AZ:
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/92432259/original.jpg

adam*
17th of January 2009 (Sat), 03:44
Nice, I want his equipment :p What's the lens on the left- 16-35?

FlyingPhotog
17th of January 2009 (Sat), 03:45
Nice, I want his equipment :p What's the lens on the left- 16-35?

I believe so...

manipula
17th of January 2009 (Sat), 04:16
I have not heard of this rumor, but I did hear today that Nikon raised their prices 20%. That is quite a jump. I shoot Canon and my husband shoots Nikon. I wonder if Canon will do the same. west walker

Here, everyone's upping prices 20-30%...

The other bit worth mentioning is the marketing that Sony are thinking about deploying. There's been a lot of suggestion that Sony (here in NZ, where they equal Nikon in market share) are prepared to throw money at getting people on board. Their A200's go for 15-20% less than 1000D's and Sony supply them with cards and second batteries. All the photo specific retailers were encouraged to stock most of, if not all the Sony pro range, for instance in the tiny store I've been doing a bit of work in (literally about 4x7mtrs floorspace) there's almost all of the Zeiss lenses on display and regularly an A900. There's also been talk of those same photo retailers being given kits with A900's and Zeiss lenses to loan to pros free to see how they like them, with kind offers on prices to follow. That's not gone into practice yet but mentioned numerous times...

Krapo
18th of January 2009 (Sun), 13:54
Here, everyone's upping prices 20-30%...

The other bit worth mentioning is the marketing that Sony are thinking about deploying. There's been a lot of suggestion that Sony (here in NZ, where they equal Nikon in market share) are prepared to throw money at getting people on board. Their A200's go for 15-20% less than 1000D's and Sony supply them with cards and second batteries. All the photo specific retailers were encouraged to stock most of, if not all the Sony pro range, for instance in the tiny store I've been doing a bit of work in (literally about 4x7mtrs floorspace) there's almost all of the Zeiss lenses on display and regularly an A900. There's also been talk of those same photo retailers being given kits with A900's and Zeiss lenses to loan to pros free to see how they like them, with kind offers on prices to follow. That's not gone into practice yet but mentioned numerous times...

This seems to be a sound marketing practice in this industry.
As a manufacturer, you have to buy yourself into the market. Once people use your system, it's much more difficult/costly to switch. Look at us!
How many of us would switch to Nikon lately? I guess a lot.

So you've got to find a way to have people buy your stuff in the first place.

CAL Imagery
18th of January 2009 (Sun), 17:59
The AP and Getty photographers that have shot OSU basketball still use Canon.