PDA

View Full Version : Long Exposure Night Shot Advice

cliffhanger407
13th of January 2009 (Tue), 02:00
I saw an in-car shot a friend took (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/3176748733_78f63c109d_o.jpg) and decided I'd try my best to replicate the effect. A lot of what I did wrong (composition, shooting at ISO 400 and having too fast of a shutter speed, color cast, etc.) I already know, so I don't need (too much) advice on that bit just yet, this is essentially just a snap that I wanted to proof-of-concept for myself before I spent a lot of time and then figured out that my whole method was wrong. My main concern, and the reason I'm asking for advice, is the camera shake that I have.

I don't have a complex rig (or any real rig at all) but I figured I'd still try my hand at it. I'm using a super clamp to hold my ball head to the neck rest and it fits fairly snugly, but I'm willing to bet that part of my problems rest in this being supported on only one line rather than a plane. The other question I have is about speed, namely should I have been just driving very very slowly to reduce in-cabin vibration? This shot was taken at about 25mph, so the question becomes whether the support is simply insufficient, the speed was too fast, or a combination of the two. Lastly, I didn't use a mirror lockup. Could that have contributed? I feel like it couldn't have caused all the problem but maybe I'm wrong. The reference image I'm using has a very nice, crisp interior which is very plainly lacking in my image. Thanks in advance for the replies and advice.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3507/3193682202_bb1f202346.jpg

rigshots
13th of January 2009 (Tue), 03:01
The camera is not mounted rigidly enough, that's your main problem. Sort that out first, the rest will fall into place.

Keep yourself still during the exposure. Try to use a long, straight piece of road with lots of lighting along side and minimise your own movements when correcting the cars direction.

JJ

elysium
13th of January 2009 (Tue), 03:32
Youtube - Teshi rolls to Lakeside I did a time lapse.

I had my camera on tripod. One len behind each front seat and then used the final leg on the back seat and had it extended to the point where my tripod was wedged solid. :)

cliffhanger407
13th of January 2009 (Tue), 13:51
Thanks a lot for the advice. I thought about using a tripod but just couldn't visualize how it would fit into the back seat wedged properly. I still feel like there's going to be maybe a bit too much bouncing in that rig but it's definitely worth a shot. I know most people use suction cups to hold a proper rig up, is that probably what's going to be necessary for really long exposures or is it likely that a tripod will actually work?

Thanks so much for the advice!

drexp2000
13th of January 2009 (Tue), 15:51
There are probably camera mounts you can get. Look here: http://www.filmtools.com/cruisecam.html

Let me know if that works and good luck! I might do something similar soon ;)