PDA

View Full Version : Advice on take shots of the moon

bnoland
21st of January 2009 (Wed), 14:49
My equipment is limited but I did try and everything came out very over exposed. I have two lenses I tried to take moon shots with. One is a Canon 28-135mm IS and Canon 75-300mm non-IS. Pictures seemed to be focused but they were so over exposed that when I got them edited far enough to make anything out most of the detail of the moon surface was gone. Any advice or am I not going to be able to get decent shots with the lenses I have? Thanks

ssracer
21st of January 2009 (Wed), 14:56
The 75-300 should be able to get a decent shot on a tripod. I have taken a few with mine, although it is a rather soft lens at 300mm + infinity focus. My pics required some sharpening to get right (see my flickr).

For the moon you actually need a pretty fast shutter speed. You can't really use the in camera exposure meter, because it will say you are under exposing.

Shoot in Manual mode. Try f/8 and start your shutter at about 1/60 and work from there. The fuller the moon, the brighter it will be and the faster your shutter will need to be.

There are several good threads on this here if you search a little.

bnoland
21st of January 2009 (Wed), 15:19
They maybe my issue then. I normally use full manual (M) on my camera but I have been playing with the Av mode and I think I had it on there when I was taking the picture of the moon the other night.

FlyingPhotog
21st of January 2009 (Wed), 15:21
Bear in mind that the moon is a sunlit object so for a full moon:

ISO 100
SS 1/100 or 1/125
F/11
Tripod Really Helps.
Shutter release is also handy to have.

You can work reciprocal settings to get an equivalent exposure at a faster shutter speed
1/125 @ f/11
1/500 @ f/8
1/1000 @ f/5.6

Some refer to this as the "Moonie 11 Rule" as all you're doing is opening up one stop off the "Sunny 16 Rule"
For a less than full moon, adjust your settings to taste.