PDA

View Full Version : Question -How long to back up 205GB using Carbonite?

BigBlueDodge
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 17:58
The answer is 40 days. I've decided that I needed an offsite backup strategy for some time now. I have my PC setup to do backups to other hard drives automatically, but there is that odd chance that my house could burn down and take out my PC's with it.

I've been meaning to sign up with a online backup service but never got around to it. So, I recently got a 2 year promotion offer from Carbonite for $49.95 and I couldn't pass it up. I previously did a trial with Carbonite, and was very happy with it, but never got around to signing up. They sent me an email saying they wanted my business and made the offer.

I had 205GB worth of images that I was going to have to back up. My internet connection is Verizon Fios running at 20mbps down, 5mbps up. I left the computer on running non stop, and after 40 days I finally got the message that everything has been backed up.

It's a nice, comforting feeling that I know I have my images protected offsite. We all spend thousands of dollars on our equipment, and some spend more insuring the equipment, but few actually put any money towards protecting their images. Paying for a service like Carbonite is like insurance, in my opinion. I'd much rather have my camera bag stolen, than I would losing all of my images to a hard drive failure. I can buy another camera, but I may not be able to recover those lost images.

For those of you that don't have an online backup service, I highly recommend Carbonite (www.carbonite.com (http://www.carbonite.com)). It literally is a no touch solution. You just tell it which folders to back up, and it does everything in the background, ensuring that your files constantly stay backed up. It does help if you have a faster internet connection, as it will speed up the initial backup. However, after you have everything backed up, it is very smart about keeping existing files backed up.

tim
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 18:26
Uploading 205GB!!! 40 days!!! Why not just use a hard drive (few hours to copy) and keep it offsite?! But sure if it doesn't cost you for that much data yet go for it. The US will probably introduce metered data some time. How responsive was your internet connection during this time? If i'm solidly uploading mine's pretty slow.

Just out of curiosity I wondered how long it'd take for me to back up. I have 500GB of image data, and I generate 20-40GB of data every week during wedding season. My upload speed would be 2mbps at most, let's assume a little less. It'd take me about 176 days to do my initial backup, and on average almost two weeks to back up data from each weeks shooting! All numbers very approximate.

BigBlueDodge
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 18:41
I thought about just switching out external USB drives, but I didn't want to have to keep making trips once a month to my offsite storage place. I am very lazy about this stuff, and Carbonite does everything. That is the beauty of it, I don't have to do any to back up my stuff !

I am just a hobbyist. I'm not a wedding photographer unlike yourself, so I don't generate the amount of images that you do on a weekly basis. For people who generate tons of images weekly, online backup is likely not a suitable option.

Regarding the internet connection, actually you couldn't tell that a backup was taking place, while browsing the internet. The client doesn't appear to be able to utilize high speed all that well. After my initial backup finish, I decided to backup some of my music (15GB). It's backing up as we speak. I decided to go see what my internet speeds were, so I visited www.speedtest.net and while my online backup is going on, I got 19,546kbps down, and 4603kbps up. Here are my results

http://www.speedtest.net/result/399047226.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I actually wish there was a way I could tweak the client to use more threads to take advantage of my internet connection. But it appears to be single threaded, and not optimized for fast internet connections. Right now my throughput appears to be around 4-5GB per day, which is alot, but could be alot more.

BigBlueDodge
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 18:47
But sure if it doesn't cost you for that much data yet go for it. The US will probably introduce metered data some time.

There are some internet providers that are experimenting with capped internet bandwith. Currently, most internet services do not place any caps on monthly usage, and you are only limited by your download, upload speeds. I fear that we are going to see more and more providers start putting caps in place.

tim
27th of January 2009 (Tue), 19:03
Automatic backups is a HUGE advantage. I agree that they should take advantage of high speed connections more, and WOW I knew FIOS was meant to be fast but that's incredible!

I considered backing up Q8 2000px JPG versions of my keepers, in addition to online backup, but figured offsite total backup was enough. I keep my backup disk either at a friends place a few minutes walk away or in my desk drawer at work when I take a contract.

Zepher
28th of January 2009 (Wed), 07:45
There are some internet providers that are experimenting with capped internet bandwith. Currently, most internet services do not place any caps on monthly usage, and you are only limited by your download, upload speeds. I fear that we are going to see more and more providers start putting caps in place.

Comcast is now doing throttling and 250GB cap/month.

I have Cox and get decent speeds.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/399319822.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

jaybird
28th of January 2009 (Wed), 08:23
Forget caps! Look what happened to Han Solo when he signed up with Carbonite!!!!

jgrussell
28th of January 2009 (Wed), 09:08
I'm 28 days into a 358Gb backup (with 166Gb done and 192 to go). At this rate I sure won't have to worry about Comcast's 250Gb per month limit!

BigBlueDodge
28th of January 2009 (Wed), 12:00
Comcast is now doing throttling and 250GB cap/month.

I have Cox and get decent speeds.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/399319822.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I thought Comcast was still piloting bandwidth caps? Have they now made it standard policy for all customers?

jgrussell
28th of January 2009 (Wed), 12:11
I thought Comcast was still piloting bandwidth caps? Have they now made it standard policy for all customers?Comcast says there's a limit of 250Gb/mo; if you go over it once, they're supposed to give you a warning. If you go over it twice in a year, they can take action. I've emailed them telling them what I'm doing and asking if this will be a problem.

tim
28th of January 2009 (Wed), 15:38
Forget caps! Look what happened to Han Solo when he signed up with Carbonite!!!!

Baaaaaaad!

Bubber Jones
29th of January 2009 (Thu), 20:26
The problem with Comcast is that they don't give you any way to tell how much you have used at any given point in a month.

I'm a nerd and have detailed traffic reports from my firewall, but for the average user, it could be a problem if you are heavy on the pipe.