PDA

View Full Version : How long before 5D noise becomes an issue (on long shoots)?

echo
2nd of February 2009 (Mon), 20:04
I am wondering if there is anyone who's been using the 5DmkII to record video for extended periods and have any comments about noise as the sensor warms up?

I'm wondering if it's a real issue or not - say for 1 hour plus?

Cheers!

:)

Kagemaru
3rd of February 2009 (Tue), 12:40
Well, I don't think you could record for an hour straight if that's what your asking.

echo
3rd of February 2009 (Tue), 17:03
Well, I don't think you could record for an hour straight if that's what your asking.

That from practical experience or just speculation?

Kagemaru
3rd of February 2009 (Tue), 17:22
That from practical experience or just speculation?

Well, I know there is a limit to file size when shooting continuously. I don't know what that number is but I'm sure it's well under an hour long. An 8 gig card can only hold 22 minutes from my experience.

oh, I found this:

(1080p max. 12 minutes, VGA max. 24 mins per file)

So you wouldn't be able to shoot for an hour even if you wanted to.

echo
3rd of February 2009 (Tue), 18:16
No, I am running 32Gb cards, shooting in 12 minute segments. All that stuff is well understood, the question is; In practice does the noise become an issue over extended use? Someone who has done this can hopefully answer.

I've shot 30 mins nearly and saw no change. The reason I'm asking is that I'm off to do a series in a few weeks in the States and will be working this way. If it's likely to be a major problem I'll have to grab another 5D2 to enable running in relay. I'd rather not have to do that!

:)

Kagemaru
3rd of February 2009 (Tue), 18:21
Hmmm.. don't know then. I would suggest submitting your question on dvino.net, they have a dedicated forum for the 5D and some very knowledgeable people there.

VA2GXB
3rd of February 2009 (Tue), 21:05
Depends vastly on ambient temperature. I know in microelectronics, when you heat a semiconductor, the noise floor increases. All the sensor is is a multitude of semiconductors, I'd wager phototransistors?