PDA

View Full Version : ISO 6400 .. and published.

JimTx
4th of February 2009 (Wed), 16:57
Shot high school basketball in a pit last night ..dark ... dark ... and decided that the only way I was going to get anything was to shoot at ISO 6400 on my 50D. This is the first time to use 6400 on a game that I was shooting for the paper. Shots were a little noisy but Noise Ninja took care of that ... and the paper used the shot and set it at 6" X 8". I also shot in sRAW1 ... wanted the 2 stops just in case.

I wouldn't expect these shots to be great at poster size but for newspapers ... it works well. Nice to have ISO 6400 in the bag for when you need it.

I am sold on the 50D .... may have some faults but it one heck of a sports camera!

liam5100
4th of February 2009 (Wed), 22:00
I've had numerous pictures published at ISO 6400, glossy full pages in magazines to boot.

I have no issue using it when nec, with the right exposure and a custom noiseware tweak after.

Bowhunter
4th of February 2009 (Wed), 22:09
Jim,
What did you have your aperture set at as well as your shutter speed? Also, do you mind posting one of your 6400 photos? I would be interested in seeing the outcome. Thanks!

JimTx
4th of February 2009 (Wed), 22:23
Well ... if you have had success at 6400 before than it may not be a big deal but for me ... it was a great feeling to be able to use it.

Here is a shot ... not sure if my monitor is calibrated so don't know how you will see it .. but it is what it is. Was using a 2.8 lens and I think about 320 or so SS.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/JimTX/IMG_9623_edited-1_filtered.jpg

JimTx
4th of February 2009 (Wed), 22:30
Here is one from the girls game ..... I don't think it is all that bad for available light and 6400 . 2.8 again .. probably 300+ SS

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/JimTX/IMG_9546_edited-1_filtered.jpg

liam5100
4th of February 2009 (Wed), 23:31
Just think Jim, it wouldnt have been possible several years ago. Isnt technology great? I dont even attempt to drag my strobes to most assignments anymore.

Here is a 6400 ISO example.

JimTx
5th of February 2009 (Thu), 06:50
I think the reason 6400 is such a big thing for me ... I use to think ASA 400 and a push .....with lots of grain was as good as it was going to get! lol

Nice shot!

mattograph
6th of February 2009 (Fri), 12:36
JIm, these seem really noisy compared to some other examples I have seen. Are these pre or post NN?

JimTx
6th of February 2009 (Fri), 13:16
Think this was as good as it gets ... notice the fans ... they are in the dark ... this was a pit ... and these were printed in B&W.

I will try and shoot some tonight in another gym ... this one has fairly good lighting .. normally can use 3200 and still get 400+ SS at 2.8

mattograph
6th of February 2009 (Fri), 13:30
Perhaps its my monitor. Well done nonetheless!

MillsArt
14th of February 2009 (Sat), 01:56
High ISO cameras have really changed the game. Its funny, I now consider shooting at ISO800 my "high quality" setting as its noise free LOL

To think 5 years ago or so when I had a 1D and you didnt want to go above ISO800 under any conditions as it was so noisey

dmwierz
16th of February 2009 (Mon), 13:27
Jim,

I applaud your pushing the envelope, but to be honest, the shots you posted aren't what I would consider acceptable (if it were me). They are soft and the noise in the dark and shadow areas is very, very noticeable. Liam's ISO 6400 is much better. The blue of the uniforms is extremely patchy and the light blue of the grandstands is full of noise bands and dots of all different colors in addition to the light blue.

I see you're at 1/320s which might be part of your problem (Liam was 2/3 faster at 1/500s) but you also might have an auto-focus issue. I see you were at 39mm on the one of the girl's layup - which lens are you using?

JimTx
16th of February 2009 (Mon), 14:41
Jim,

I applaud your pushing the envelope, but to be honest, the shots you posted aren't what I would consider acceptable (if it were me). They are soft and the noise in the dark and shadow areas is very, very noticeable. Liam's ISO 6400 is much better. The blue of the uniforms is extremely patchy and the light blue of the grandstands is full of noise bands and dots of all different colors in addition to the light blue.

I see you're at 1/320s which might be part of your problem (Liam was 2/3 faster at 1/500s) but you also might have an auto-focus issue. I see you were at 39mm on the one of the girl's layup - which lens are you using?

Sigma 2.8 24-70 and 1/320 was as fast as I could go even at 6400 and you are right on all your comments but for B&W newsprint it was acceptable. Unfortunately .... with no flash .. and subpar lighting that is as good as it gets. If I hadn't had the extra stops by shooting in RAW they would have been almost black and you should have seen the noise before Noise Ninja .. lol

Perhaps I could ask them to go slower and pause in midair while I snap the shot. And that .. was an attempt (probably a poor one ) to let off a little of the frustration I feel shooting in those conditions. :D

I was happy that inspite of all that junk ... those kids got to see themselves in print. The large schools have fair lighting and the smaller don't.