PDA

View Full Version : low light cheerleading......

slyone
8th of February 2009 (Sun), 10:03
Settings/obtaining Focus on all the girls? Using the 70-200, no flash, one shot/center focus, center-weighted avg metering with iso 800, SS 1/250 approx. still under-exposed a bit which is OK, but not happy with results..:(

Mike R
8th of February 2009 (Sun), 10:26
Try using AI Servo and if you raise your ISO to 1250 or 1600 you can obtain a faster shutter speed. I shoot cheerleading competitions with my 85 f/1.8 and use the following settings: f/2.2, 1/400, Center point focus, AI Servo, multi shot. ISO between 800-1600depending on the lighting. I would like to use my 70-200 2.8 but don't only because of the lighting and I like to keep the ISO under 1600. I usually shoot standing behind the judges. I tried on the floor in front of them but prefer to stand behind them

slyone
8th of February 2009 (Sun), 10:48
Ya Thanks...guess I'll set it to servo and multi....we have another competition today at another college/venue. I'm just looking for very "crisp" shots. I'm also going to bring/use the monopod just to help reduce hand shake....maybe use evaluative metering also instead of center weighted??
I was thinking of trying something different from spot focus since I hardly ever get the "spot" on..lol! plus I'm trying to get all the girls in focus which is 20ft between them all...but with the lighting and at f2.8 I'm against a brick wall? I really need to close down the aperature but can't..:(

slyone
8th of February 2009 (Sun), 10:54
I'm thinking of trying to use the 17-50 since I couldn't even get the whole group at times in the frame from where I was...decisions, decisions...

Mike R
8th of February 2009 (Sun), 12:41
I'm thinking of trying to use the 17-50 since I couldn't even get the whole group at times in the frame from where I was...decisions, decisions...
Time for another body, LOL
A 50D would be nice.

DDCSD
8th of February 2009 (Sun), 17:58
I'd say time for some faster lenses and to go up to ISO 1600 or 3200.

mspringfield
9th of February 2009 (Mon), 05:55
Shoot in M, don't trust Av/Tv. Also make sure your shutter speed is at least 1/320 and open your aperture wide open. As most everyone else has pointed out you may have to go to a higher ISO and go with AI Servo for your tracking.

slyone
11th of February 2009 (Wed), 14:11
well I went to servo/1600 and produced better photos...I think my problem is I'm looking for "tack sharp" but have never monitered the focus confirmation light:oops: I guess I should "always" watch that..yes?

DDCSD
11th of February 2009 (Wed), 18:22
well I went to servo/1600 and produced better photos...I think my problem is I'm looking for "tack sharp" but have never monitered the focus confirmation light:oops: I guess I should "always" watch that..yes?

I didn't even realize that the focus confirmation light came on in AI Servo until you just mentioned it. I had to go check... :)

Can you post an example of the results your getting so we can tell if there is an actual problem or if your expectations are just too high?

slyone
12th of February 2009 (Thu), 00:37
I tried using my flash after listening to Dennis's podcast for basketball/cheerleading...wow!
nice pop!:D