PDA

View Full Version : A short film made with the 5D Mark II

Nukey
12th of February 2009 (Thu), 13:42
Hey guys and girls,

I wasn't sure where to post this, since there's no video sharing section, but please feel free to move it.

After getting the 5D Mark II, a friend and I were excited to give the movie mode a try. This is the first time either of us has dabbled with videos, but we had a lot of fun with it and made this short four minute film.

http://marclantos.com - Video links are part way down the page

As you'll see below, this was a low budget operation :cool:. Other than a flimsy old tripod, there was no additional equipment used, but we didn't have any major problems.

Comments are greatly appreciated!!

Well, it has been a fun and exciting journey experimenting with both video and the Canon 5D Mark II! Both of us have been avid photographers for quite some time now, but neither of us have wandered extensively in to the realm of video until now. After we got a taste of Canon’s 5D Mark II, however, we were excited to give it a try.

Filming was quite an adventure. We were under quite rigid time and budget constraints (think the price of a meal), so we essentially had one shot to get it right. It didn’t help that there were intermittent snow storms and temperatures below 20 degrees Celsius during the time period we had available for filming either! Thankfully everyone was as determined as we were to make our first go at a video successful, and pushed through. Sure, we couldn’t feel our fingers and toes for hours, but doesn’t that make it even more interesting? http://marclantos.com/wordpress/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Aside from the camera and lenses, equipment was pretty basic. Actually there was no other equipment at all, aside from a tripod that was on its last leg (no pun intended).

The concept of the video is pretty simple, but you may miss it if you aren’t paying close attention! We weren’t just randomly changing clothing between scenes, though that could have been fun too. There are three couples in the video, as illustrated by the different clothing styles; the “urban professional” couple, the “punk” couple, and the “hippie” couple. The basic message of the video is that we all face the ebbs and flows of life, regardless of our status, lifestyle or upbringing.

All in all, we had a lot of fun making this video and hope our next one will be even bigger and better. Ideally, we’ll have more time (and maybe equipment!! Maybe? No? I’m being told no http://marclantos.com/wordpress/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif ) for our next video and we can really try and take it to the next level. Thanks to everyone who played a part in creating this film (there’s a full list of credits at the end of the film).

Sam|McGuire
12th of February 2009 (Thu), 14:12
Amazing work! I wish I could justify purchasing a 5dMII, I'd have one in a heartbeat.

VisualOddity
12th of February 2009 (Thu), 14:23
Very, VERY nice! :cool:

Lazuka
12th of February 2009 (Thu), 14:26
man, stuff like this makes me wish i had a 5d2 *looks at bank account*

CkWong
12th of February 2009 (Thu), 14:32
Nicely done!

sinitry23
12th of February 2009 (Thu), 14:57
Hi

What program was use for the edits and how do you do simple edits like fade in and out and combine clips with an audio track?

Nukey
12th of February 2009 (Thu), 16:35
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Sinitry - We used Final Cut for the editing. No post processing was done to the footage itself (aside from splicing and the like).

ukactionsports
12th of February 2009 (Thu), 16:49
Thats awesome!

Nice work.

chukdivad
12th of February 2009 (Thu), 17:07
Nice work! What lens did you use?

mac_no1
12th of February 2009 (Thu), 17:07
I've only had my 5d MkII for a couple of weeks and not got round to using video yet but after seeing your amazing work it makes me want to give it a go.

I'd suggest giving up your day job and taking up video as a career, you seem to have a natural talent.

Nukey
12th of February 2009 (Thu), 17:53
Thanks guys :)

chukdivad - We used the following lenses: 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 135L, and 85L

4g63photo
12th of February 2009 (Thu), 19:29
I loved the video. It was great. Seems like you have a lot of video experience.

according to jim
12th of February 2009 (Thu), 20:24
Great Job! Enjoyed viewing it. I just got the 5DII as well, what did you use to edit.

Jim

Nukey
13th of February 2009 (Fri), 10:17
Thanks Jim and Fernando.

For editing we used Final Cut. I used my Macbook Pro, but rendering those 1080p files made me wish I had a Mac Pro :)

Brett
13th of February 2009 (Fri), 13:07
Wow. I really enjoyed that. The use of focus/de-focus is very nicely played. The beautiful bokeh from your lens choices doesn't hurt either. The music accompanies it beautifully. The resolution on the street scene when the taxis and cars are coming towards us is just fantastic...the entire thing is like a montage of fantastic photographs coming together to make a movie.

Really well done. :)

Sfordphoto
13th of February 2009 (Fri), 13:30
very impressive video!!!

bluemotion
13th of February 2009 (Fri), 15:21
looks great.. do you have a list of the lenses used?

Nukey
13th of February 2009 (Fri), 18:35
Thanks for the feedback!

bluemotion - the lenses used were: 24-70L, 135L, 85L, and 70-200 F2L

NeutronBoy
14th of February 2009 (Sat), 08:15
that was fantastic. I only wish I could do that myself ... one other wish would be to have that camera. By the time I can buy one it will be the Mark VI !!

Aeth
14th of February 2009 (Sat), 12:05
Nice vid. I think it was executed very well. Makes me really want a 5DMKII as well.

"The moral of the story is... alcohol brings everyone together..." :)

ss109
14th of February 2009 (Sat), 12:28
THat was VERY VERY nice. The line was amazing in addition to the quality. That also makes me want to jump out and buy one.

Nukey
14th of February 2009 (Sat), 21:34
Thanks for the kind words :)

Mocking-DX
22nd of February 2009 (Sun), 08:03
very impressive video. it's the only short film i watch that kept me interested till the end credits

did you transcode to ProRes also then edited in FCP? thanks

Nukey
22nd of February 2009 (Sun), 13:36
very impressive video. it's the only short film i watch that kept me interested till the end credits

did you transcode to ProRes also then edited in FCP? thanks

Thanks! No, we just imported the 1920x1080 video files directly in to FCP and then edited from there. We used Compressor to export as a 1280x720 H.264 file.

skulpt
22nd of February 2009 (Sun), 14:26
Darn YOU! LOL. I've all but convinced to buy a used 1Ds2 for about the same price as a 5D2, but you HAD to show me this... LOL Man, the great DOF effects you can pull off now is just amazing. I'm just hoping video comes to the next Rebel so I can get the best of both worlds. But great amazing work. The video captured deals with light SO much better than my Canon HV20 HD video camera. It looks so clean and creamy, and of course the bokeh really works well in video.

Thanks for making my life a lot more complicated. LOL