PDA

View Full Version : XSi: I swear i could configure the timer!?!?

Sman2good
17th of February 2009 (Tue), 20:23
I first got my camera probably 3 weeks ago and loving it. I decided to take it out for some pictures using a tripod. I don't know how i did it.... but there was a setting where it was a self-timer continuous shooting configuration. It allowed me to take multiple pictures (depending how much i set) with 2 second intervals in between them. Where the camera would do a self-timer for 5 seconds, then take a picture every 2 seconds. This was awesome since it was going to be a couples picture... so we can change poses in between the 2 seconds.

But now i changed some setting and all could do is 2 second self-timer or 10 second self timer with continuous shooting. Does anybody know what I am talking about? This is literally driving me crazy because I know i was ale to configure these settings before and now I can't find out how to get there again!

dorkiedoode
17th of February 2009 (Tue), 20:28
Click the left arrow, fine the timer pictures and the c next to it, and press up and Dow. To set how many second you want. There should be a 2sec timer and a timer with a c next to the 2sec one.

Sman2good
17th of February 2009 (Tue), 20:43
Click the left arrow, fine the timer pictures and the c next to it, and press up and Dow. To set how many second you want. There should be a 2sec timer and a timer with a c next to the 2sec one.

When enter that option under P mode I have the following shooting options

Single, Continuous, Self-Timer/Remote, Self-Timer: 2 seconds, Self Timer: Continous

The only option that i can configure is the self-timer continuous, i can only change the amount of picture to take. No where in there does it allow me to configure time and that's where I am going crazy cuz before i could. Perhaps I can't do this in P mode?

dorkiedoode
17th of February 2009 (Tue), 22:29
i just checked mine and it show how many shots too. the timer just stay at 10sec. so im on the same boat.

RaggedNewfie
18th of February 2009 (Wed), 00:03
This is not an option on the xsi as far as I know. I just skimmed though the manual and its says that time between shots depends on flash and image quality in continuous mode self timer, maybe you just had it set and it took longer before because the lighting was different.

Sman2good
19th of February 2009 (Thu), 17:20
I read that very same section and think you are right... Which is pretty neat side effect. Now only if i can figure out a way to repeat it... hmmmm

WallyJr74
19th of February 2009 (Thu), 20:04
wow...never knew about this. Many thanks.

gnirtS
19th of February 2009 (Thu), 21:36
Just tested that myself and the above is true. Great pity. No ability really to take group portraits with the user in them as well as 2 seconds isnt enough. Quite an annoying loss of feature.

Only semi workaround i can think of is set the C to 2 shots (lowest it allows) then you'll have a 10 second wait then 2 shots.

apersson850
19th of February 2009 (Thu), 23:32
More advanced cameras, like the 40D, allow the use of TC-80N3. That device allows you to set (almost) any initial delay as well as time between images.

mr.lemarc
20th of February 2009 (Fri), 01:24
Just tested that myself and the above is true. Great pity. No ability really to take group portraits with the user in them as well as 2 seconds isnt enough. Quite an annoying loss of feature.

Only semi workaround i can think of is set the C to 2 shots (lowest it allows) then you'll have a 10 second wait then 2 shots.

If i remember correctly, you just set it on self-timer/remote...and you get 10seconds for one shot. that way you can be in group pics, and don't need an unneccessary second shot

as for the continuous shots. i remember doing this and having a stop motion like effect for about 10 shots, except i later realized the XSI was simply charging up the built in flash (hence the seemingly "neat" delay feature between each shot).

without flash, it just shoots the continuous shots as fast as it can. but with the onboard flash, it waits for it recharge i think. with an external flash, it actually fires continuously so depending on the conditions you might have a (properly exposed, dark exposure, darker exposure, pitch black exposure, properly exposed, etc...)

this was all my experience on the XSI, havent tried with my new 50D yet -- but thats also why i just bought a tripod (to be in more pictures i take).

c2thew
20th of February 2009 (Fri), 02:23
you can always buy a cheap infrared remote: at $4 shipped to your door, i think this is worth a shot.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5577

SpeedRacerSlots
20th of February 2009 (Fri), 07:55
If you scroll over to C then use the Up/Down arrow... you can go from 2 to 10.
It then fires all X# after a 10sec delay as fast as the camera can take them.
Just did it as a test..
SMAN: What are you trying to get it to do? or better asked... what did you want it to do?

Dooms_day
20th of February 2009 (Fri), 17:10
i originally thought the last option: self timer continuous with the numbers 2-10 you could scroll through were seconds, then after wondering why my camera took 10 pictures after the 10 seconds were up, i realized it wasnt counting seconds!

Sman2good
21st of February 2009 (Sat), 02:08
It's no biggie... I was just wondering if i can set delays between the continuous shots. But turns out that the delay was due to image processing depending on lighting and image quality. But the thing was that I was able to repeat it effectively throughout the whole day and the next day I no longer had that nice 2 second delay between continuous shots.