PDA

View Full Version : 5D II tests. London.

deem
19th of February 2009 (Thu), 11:15
Hi.

Just finished the 3rd of my 5D Mark II video tests.

Just wondered if they might be of any interest to anyone, and would appreciate any advice/feedback. I've never worked with video before.

Please select 'watch in high quality'!

Chinatown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPuTwS7QEDk

Barbers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClhC86YI_QI

Home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPh7odaBkZU

All shot using a mix of the following:

Sigma 150mm Macro f2.8
Canon 50mm f1.4
Canon 35mm f2
Canon 17-40 f4
Hartblei 80mm f2.8

Cheers.

Oliviero
19th of February 2009 (Thu), 11:25
Those are very nice! However I don't think the TS effect in videos is my cup of tea. Aslo I felt like it would've been nice to include some slow transitions between different scenes.

It says that the last one doesn't work or something.

deem
19th of February 2009 (Thu), 11:27
Thanks. Yeah, I went a bit overboard with the TS, as I'd been given the lens that day and wanted to try it out.

Slow transitions aren't something I have experimented with, but will now - thanks, that's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!

Only uploaded the last one half an hour ago, and it hasn't finished processing yet. :(

Thanks again.

Oliviero
19th of February 2009 (Thu), 11:36
I haven't worked with video either so I just threw in my 2 cents. I'm getting my 5D2 in a few days so then we'll be in the same boat.

Try looking at other videos to get the inspiration and ideas you need. This one made by Richard Walch is great:

D-style (http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/road_test/richard_walch_eos_5d_mark_ii.do)

The actual video can be found if you scroll down a bit.

Ghostfly
19th of February 2009 (Thu), 20:00
Deem - those are really cool. Mind telling us what your workflow is? Also, how are you guys getting them up to youtube with such good quality? They compress the crap outta everything I put up there.

Good stuff

deem
20th of February 2009 (Fri), 02:36
Deem - those are really cool. Mind telling us what your workflow is? Also, how are you guys getting them up to youtube with such good quality? They compress the crap outta everything I put up there.

Good stuff

Hey, thanks.

Not exactly sure what you mean by workflow?

With Chinatown, a just walked, and shot whatever I liked the look of - worked exactly the same as I would were I shooting stills. With the Barbers, I just stood myself outside the shop, and again, just shot what I liked the look of. WIth the 'If Only' one, I did story board that a bit, and spent a couple of days thinking about what might make a good shot, filmed them all, then left out the ones that didn't work as well as I imagined. The making the actually tea bit I just did on the fly.

Youtube accepts up to 720 p now.

Oliviero
20th of February 2009 (Fri), 04:10
Try to be as creative as you possibly can. Things that doesn't look very interesting on site could make the whole difference at the editing stage.

Include lots of short clips, that will increase the flow of the film and make it more interesting.

Experiment with different effects such as fast-forwarding.

Film the same thing but from different angles and perspectives.

That's all the advice I can think of right now. Good luck and keep posting your work here for more feedback :)

Ghostfly
20th of February 2009 (Fri), 08:13
Hey, thanks.

Not exactly sure what you mean by workflow?

With Chinatown, a just walked, and shot whatever I liked the look of - worked exactly the same as I would were I shooting stills. With the Barbers, I just stood myself outside the shop, and again, just shot what I liked the look of. WIth the 'If Only' one, I did story board that a bit, and spent a couple of days thinking about what might make a good shot, filmed them all, then left out the ones that didn't work as well as I imagined. The making the actually tea bit I just did on the fly.

Youtube accepts up to 720 p now.

sorry, should have been more specific. What was your workflow from your edit to your output? What program are you using to edit and what type of file are uploading?

deem
20th of February 2009 (Fri), 08:33
sorry, should have been more specific. What was your workflow from your edit to your output? What program are you using to edit and what type of file are uploading?

Oh, I see, sorry.

I'm just using Apples iMovie HD from a couple of years ago. It's very restricted, but very simple. There's no PP to speak of. Output as a .Mov .h264.