PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait for Sigma?

cdg52
22nd of February 2009 (Sun), 23:11
I am interested in purchasing the Sigma AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS but after doing some research I heard that the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM was due out for release in March.

My main question is... will the 18-250 affect the price of the 18-200?

Also should I wait for the new lens and purchase that if the price is right?

Or Should I just jump the gun and purchase the 18-200 at the current market price?

nadnarbxlee
23rd of February 2009 (Mon), 19:35
waiting should drop the price but... if you have the cash get it if not just wait...

the longer you wait the sweeter it is! that is my idea

Racerman
24th of February 2009 (Tue), 18:02
Price will probably be going to drop, don't know by how much in the current market but depends if you want it now or if you can do without it for a while and see what happens with the price

mastertech01
24th of February 2009 (Tue), 18:13
The price of the new Sigma 50mm hasnt dropped at all in what 5 or 6 months since coming out. I wouldnt hold my breath for cheap lens for quite a while. Seems Sigma is holding the price up with their HSM models.

daugirdas
17th of March 2009 (Tue), 18:27
I am sorry to ask but what is wrong with the new canon 18-200mm IS? With my experience, Canon lenses are much better than the sigma counterparts, and your XT wouldn't cope with wrong focusing.

KenjiS
17th of March 2009 (Tue), 19:07
I am sorry to ask but what is wrong with the new canon 18-200mm IS? With my experience, Canon lenses are much better than the sigma counterparts, and your XT wouldn't cope with wrong focusing.

I call BS on this, I've seen Canons that didnt focus properly, and the only defective lens I ever got was a Canon...

the 18-200 IS is overpriced for what it is...better off getting the Siggy or the Tammy to be honest

daugirdas
17th of March 2009 (Tue), 19:11
I call BS on this, I've seen Canons that didnt focus properly, and the only defective lens I ever got was a Canon...

the 18-200 IS is overpriced for what it is...better off getting the Siggy or the Tammy to be honest

you can call anything... I've lost money on sigma 24-70 and even their ner 50mm and 24-70 hsm were no good when I tested them in Focus 09. Canon lenses have never let me down. This is MY experience. Thank you

Focusing is a calibration issue, an odd body can be badly calibrated as well.

Lack of contrast and corner sharpness is another issue with sigma

KenjiS
17th of March 2009 (Tue), 19:35
you can call anything... I've lost money on sigma 24-70 and even their ner 50mm and 24-70 hsm were no good when I tested them in Focus 09. Canon lenses have never let me down. This is MY experience. Thank you

Focusing is a calibration issue, an odd body can be badly calibrated as well.

Lack of contrast and corner sharpness is another issue with sigma

I've had no problems with sharpness or contrast on my Sigmas :X

Sounds like you got the bad luck of the draw..they do have some bad QC at times..and i didnt mean for it to sound personal...

Synovia
18th of March 2009 (Wed), 12:27
Canon lenses have never let me down. This is MY experience. Thank you
Like every 3rd thread in this forum at some point has "send it back to canon to recalibrate it" somewhere in there.

x-evil-x
30th of April 2009 (Thu), 01:26
id wait