PDA

View Full Version : The Right Market to Target...

KenjiS
25th of February 2009 (Wed), 01:40
Just more thoughts @.@

What do you feel is the right market to target when it comes to photography equipment?

Sure pros have the largest budgets and probubly buy more exquisite and expensive lenses, that while expensive to make probubly turn a decent profit...Lenses are obviously going to be the exemplars of the system, the lenses people will aspire to own...and should always have the latest and greatest technology available when it comes to coatings...Bodies here need to be tough, durable, weathersealed, and have a down-to-business interface and appeal but yet still be very similar to the midrange product...

But on the other side, what about budding pros and serious amateurs on a budget who need quality equipment moving from the entry level into the midrange stuff.....if they sit there and see nothing but very expensive pro equipment they could feel jilted and ignored by their choice in system, or feel very insecure in their decision, and that negative opinion might mean they switch systems to a system that better caters to their particular needs at the time no matter the cost? Thats never a good thing! Cameras here need to have solid features and have the basics down, Depth of field preview, twin command dials, and pretty nippy AF systems need to be here as well as a confident build, lenses need to be built a step above the consumer, with high quality plastics and they should bundle things like lens hoods for free with the lenses, most lenses in this segment should be between $350-$1250 in price

And of course the entry level, you need to bridge the point and shoot ease of use while offering power and features and the tools needed to really get into photography...an entry level body shouldnt be too crippled (See Nikon D40) or too advanced.....the lenses in this segment need to cover range and offer things like IS or VR to be competetive! but also need to be bargain basement in price, definately sub $350! the bodies should offer some gimmicky features to draw people over (Ie, I remember a couple old film Canons had a barcode reader and a book of "example photographs" you scanned a barcode by and it programmed the camera to take the picture!) and the interface on them should be a "bridge" from the company's point and shoot models to the company's DSLRs taking ques from both to ease a transition into things

I think the entry level is the easiest to appease(Make it shiny and theywill come), followed by the pro (Pros spend on quality, price usually less object) and then the Midrange..

I think midrange is the hardest to target because well...they're people who want the best of both..affordability and quality....its a market that wants less catchy gizmos, and more powerful tools, but yet you cant give them too much or risk cannibalizing sales of professional models...

In lens terms, using a price scale it covers everything from fast 50mm-135mm primes, 24-70 and 28-80 2.8 fast zooms, and even the beginning of the pro optics like 70-200 f/2.8s and the like...

Some of those are obviously just less expensive pro optics, but others are specific to this class..things like the 28-135 IS, the 17-85 IS and others....for photographers who have a need for range more than speed...

The only aspect in midrange I think Canon fails on, honestly, is the lack of lens hoods, I'd be so much more liable to buy a 85 f/1.8 if i didnt feel nickle and dimed by being forced to then buy the lens hood, same with the 50mm f/1.4

The only other aspect would be the fact theres a lot of "outdated" feeling lenses in the lineup at midrange, A lot of them need updates, the 24 f/2.8 28 f/2.8 and 35 f/2 all are due for a good update to a better build quality and optical coatings...not to mention the 50mm f/1.4 and the 85 f/1.8 probubly could stand for a good refresh! (Not to mention culling the line, kill the 100 f/2 and update or kill the 135 SF)

Now my theory is Canon is trying to get the price of that new coating of theirs down to mass-production levels, and then they're going to shock us with a bunch of new primes in that midrange in a year to a year and a half, Probubly starting with the 50mm f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.8 as they're strong sellers, and if they could deliver improved optical quality, I bet a lot of people would ditch their mark 1s for them..

Eh...I know, its late, im bored and im merely musing..