PDA

View Full Version : Cheap alternative to the canon st-e2 speedlite transmitter :)

tombramwell
26th of February 2009 (Thu), 13:09
Cheap alternative to the canon st-e2 speedlite transmitter!!

I've been looking into buying the canon st-e2 (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1001562)for a while now as I've wanted to use my speedlite flashgun off and away from my camera.

Canon have recently put up all there prices in the Uk and the thing has gone up by about 90, for this reason I looked into alternatives and found this brilliant little thing:-

YongNuo Wireless Remote Shutter Trigger
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13089

Its a chines built reciever and transmitter thing allows you to fire the flash away from your camera and wait for this.... it only costs 15! The canon st-e2 costs around 200!

I bought the thing off amazon and it arrived two days later. These devices offer very good value for money, it had 4 different channels and transmitter runs on 2 AAA batteries.

Now im not going to lie, the build quality of this device is quite poor but for 15 you really cant complain! Id def recormend it for anyone who wants to start playing around with off camera flash.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2389/16/115/502704500/n502704500_1290475_7476198.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_13089_1.jpg

tkbslc
26th of February 2009 (Thu), 13:17
It doesn't do the auto ettl flash control, though, right?

shooterman
26th of February 2009 (Thu), 13:20
It doesn't do the auto ettl flash control, though, right?
No.

tkbslc
26th of February 2009 (Thu), 13:29
Yeah, I was assuming it was similar to the cactus triggers, but had a sliver of hope there was some new ettl cheap wireless trigger.

PacAce
26th of February 2009 (Thu), 13:33
I would hardly call that an alternative to the ST-E2. There are many other devices on the market that allows you to trigger a remote flash without ETTL. :confused:

tombramwell
26th of February 2009 (Thu), 14:05
well no it doesnt support auto ettl flash control but lets be realistic and look at the price.. its only 15.. thats what about $20 USD?! :)

Titus213
26th of February 2009 (Thu), 14:28
Price wise they are very nice. As long as it fires every time, which a lot of them don't do. But again, you can look at the price and say you get what you pay for - and that's not a slam of the product. It's a realistic evaluation of price/reported performance.

The ST-E2 is no competition for those eBay radio units.

I still prefer my Cybersyncs to either of those alternatives.

TheHoff
26th of February 2009 (Thu), 14:32
Besides no E-TTL (obviously the big thing) there is also no AF assist so it really only has one minor feature when compared to the ST-E2, which is remote manual triggering. It is more in competition, in price and features, with the cactus. And yea, Gadget Infinity sells YuongNuo stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same but rebranded.

It sure beats the ST-E2 on size, though.

(It made me wonder if there was ever an ST-E1 but evidently, not.)

Stez
26th of February 2009 (Thu), 14:55
I'm not sure where you get your prices from but you could get an ST-E2 for about 125 before the price rise and still get them for 165 delivered now. take a look here and ignore the Amazon price as it is incorrect.
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod201.html

Rogan
26th of February 2009 (Thu), 15:50
they are just cactus ebay triggers im pretty sure!

but that price is good1

Canon-gal
26th of February 2009 (Thu), 16:15
The only time these cheapo triggers don't work . . . is when you really need them! :rolleyes:
I had a couple of sets that were great for practicing off camera manual flash, but every time I set them up for a real shoot they let me down. Very embarassing. Gave them away and bought the Wizards. . . love 'em!
I guess you still just get what you pay for. ;)

nadtz
26th of February 2009 (Thu), 23:54
PT-04 = same as all the ebay ghetto wizards. If you get a good set they rock (for the price), and if you don't shoot ettl even more so. I loved mine, I probably won't get as lucky if I try to replace them though =(

Ukuleleman
27th of February 2009 (Fri), 08:34
I'm not sure where you get your prices from but you could get an ST-E2 for about 125 before the price rise and still get them for 165 delivered now. take a look here and ignore the Amazon price as it is incorrect.
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod201.html

Bang on, I just bought one from Warehouse Express, 169.00 next day delivery,
its dearer than your 125, but not ninety quid dearer, still, 15 quid's OK if you only get a hundred shots out of it before you bin it. :)

Tubthumper
18th of April 2009 (Sat), 04:17
Did search for YongNuo, and this came up. Are they specific to Canon Speedlights? I'm looking for a similar, cheap, wireless trigger for a Sigma 500DG ST, but it's proving a bit difficult.

HOPE-C
18th of April 2009 (Sat), 08:46
I was wondering, with PW you need two... and a flash.

With the canon st-e2 do you only need the transmiter and your canon flash?

PacAce
18th of April 2009 (Sat), 09:23
I was wondering, with PW you need two... and a flash.

With the canon st-e2 do you only need the transmiter and your canon flash?
Yes, that is correct. The ST-E2 is the transmitter itself and the Canon flash has the receiver built-in.

HOPE-C
18th of April 2009 (Sat), 10:57
so why people buy PW at the end, it's more expensive?
I know alot of peopledont only use canon flashes.. but except that? is there any advantages for the st-e2 vs PW?

Lithian
18th of April 2009 (Sat), 11:48
Its a bit confusing now since we are in a transition, PW have a model that supports canon ettl (and eventually a nikon version) but the older PW does not support ettl which the ST-e2 did

The advantage of PW was reliability. the ST-e2 uses infrared so is limited somewhat by line of sight and bright sunlight. The PW is radio so skips those problems and compared to the cheap alternatives was very very reliable.

Also handy to sports shooters is the PW are designed with remote shooting in mind as well so you can sit a camera somewhere in the rafters at a basketball game or under a jump at a motocross event and trigger and have lighting from your primary position.

So yeh, it was worth the extra to move from 60-70% reliability (in my case) with ebay triggers to something over 99% with pocket wizards. If you are a pro and shift on one or two of those extra shots that worked the extra cost very quickly becomes insignificant.

zincozinco
18th of April 2009 (Sat), 12:16
V4s

HOPE-C
18th of April 2009 (Sat), 13:09
Its a bit confusing now since we are in a transition, PW have a model that supports canon ettl (and eventually a nikon version) but the older PW does not support ettl which the ST-e2 did

The advantage of PW was reliability. the ST-e2 uses infrared so is limited somewhat by line of sight and bright sunlight. The PW is radio so skips those problems and compared to the cheap alternatives was very very reliable.

Also handy to sports shooters is the PW are designed with remote shooting in mind as well so you can sit a camera somewhere in the rafters at a basketball game or under a jump at a motocross event and trigger and have lighting from your primary position.

So yeh, it was worth the extra to move from 60-70% reliability (in my case) with ebay triggers to something over 99% with pocket wizards. If you are a pro and shift on one or two of those extra shots that worked the extra cost very quickly becomes insignificant.

so basicaly, PW is better for all the shots where the infrared signal cannot reach the receiver! Thanks