PDA

View Full Version : Camoflage covers

artyman
2nd of March 2009 (Mon), 04:59
I have a black Sigma 150-500 does anyone know where I can get a camo cover for it, preferably on the UK.

Roy C
2nd of March 2009 (Mon), 05:30
I have a black Sigma 150-500 does anyone know where I can get a camo cover for it, preferably on the UK.
You could try Wildlifewatching (http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/) I got a set of Neoprene Lens Covers for my 400/5.6 there although not sure if they do one for the 150-500. Pretty sure they would do one for you if it is not shown in the list.

Redrib
2nd of March 2009 (Mon), 06:34
I ordered the camo cover for my Canon 100-400 and didn't realize until I received it that they don't cover the main part of the lens, just the hood and the zoom area. I ended up loosely covering mine with a piece of camo fabric and it does the trick and I can still zoom. Hope that makes sense.

Milamu'g
2nd of March 2009 (Mon), 18:27
There are no set and stone camo covers for zoom lenses, for obvious reasons. just get a piece of camo cloth from an army surplus or something and use rubber bands

hollis_f
3rd of March 2009 (Tue), 06:20
There's a guy on Birdforum whose wife makes waterproof camo covers that will fit over that lens and the camera for 12. If you want a custom cover for just the lens - or for any lens/camera combination then she'll do custom jobs.

Check out this thread (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=124789) for info.

snowyowl13
3rd of March 2009 (Tue), 06:42
There are several places in the USA that sell custom camo lens covers but they are very expensive. If you want the links, let know. I'm still looking for something affordable.

Bubble
4th of March 2009 (Wed), 00:42
http://www.lenscoat.com/lenscoatsuptmsup-sigma-150500-p-856.html

snowyowl13
4th of March 2009 (Wed), 06:25
I'm aware of Lenscoat but feel that they are very over-priced.

artyman
4th of March 2009 (Wed), 06:52
I have to agree, I think an old bit of sheet some felt tip pens and a couple of rubber bands :D

Roy C
4th of March 2009 (Wed), 07:42
I have to agree, I think an old bit of sheet some felt tip pens and a couple of rubber bands :D
Depends if you want the cover for Waterproofing, Camo or lens protection. I bought a Neoprene Lens Covers set for my 400/5.6 primarily to protect the lens form knocks and scratches. If you just want it for camouflage then the easiest thing to knock one up from is something like an old pair of kids camo trousers, just cut off the legs and secure to the lens.

Bubble
4th of March 2009 (Wed), 09:21
I'm aware of Lenscoat but feel that they are very over-priced.

but it fits very nicely and they are the only one. :)

andrewhuxman
4th of March 2009 (Wed), 09:40
What isnt over priced in this out of control hobby/business..;) but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. !!!!!!!!! I love my Lenscoat

artyman
4th of March 2009 (Wed), 11:00
Since my previous post I've been busy with my paintbrushes and acrylics and a piece of old sheet. This is what I came up with. Just held with a couple of elastic bands at the moment, I'm thinking of raiding the wifes sewing box for some velcro :)

http://************/djz7kf/Img_4499.jpg

And a shot outside, which makes me think I should slosh another coat of darker colour over it all, as it seems a bit light in the 'wild', well the back garden actually :lol:

http://************/djz7kf/Img_4500.jpg

Sean
4th of March 2009 (Wed), 14:52
I'll be getting my self some lenscoats soon enough. I think that it's a good investment.

hollis_f
4th of March 2009 (Wed), 18:07
Depends if you want the cover for Waterproofing, Camo or lens protection.
And another reason for splashing out on a LensCoat. With my 300 2.8 I found that I was constantly moving the switches on the lens - turning of the IS or, even worse, switching it to MF - when I was carrying it. The LensCoat has a transparent bit of plastic over the switches. It's still possible to move them, but it's damn hard to move them accidentally.

BradM
4th of March 2009 (Wed), 19:56
Art you might just ask your wife where her favorite fabric store might be, at least here in the states one can go to Wal-Mart or specific sewing/fabric stores and a buy a yard of camo material in varying colors for about $3.00 a yard, so in the Uk maybe less than a fiver.

But you can use it for a lens cover, or drape or poncho for yourself with some judicious velcro placement or even a hide with some stakes or posts, cheap and easy.

While I use a lens coat on my 500mm f/4, it isn't there to hide or camoflauge the lens, if you had a 6" diameter eye looking you, would you notice it was green or tan? ;)

I use mine to protect the finish and like mentioned to keep from accidently moving switches. I have shot thousands of shots of wildlife with a "white lens" from close up and never found the lens coloring made any difference in getting close. What I was wearing was much more of an issue, never wear white and always wear a hat.