PDA

View Full Version : Camera settings advice needed

Rishka78
2nd of March 2009 (Mon), 08:23
I am getting my AlienBees lights tomorrow! I would like to learn shooting with white and black backgrounds.

Would you please give me some advice (kind of rule of thumb) on camera settings for white/black background...

I am photographing my 10 mo old. She moves 100 mph :grin:

1. Are you shooting M or Av or Tv? I want sharp photo with everything in focus. What Av/Tv settings shoud I use safely considering that my object moves fast?

2. What metering mode do you use when shooting on white/black BG?
Unfortunately, I don't have off camera meter. Should I use evaluating or spot meter for the proper exposure?

3. Should I mostly use ISO 100?

Camera-XSI
Lenses-Canon 18-55, Tamron 28-70@ 2.8, nifty fifty

Thank you everyone
Any advice will be greatly appreciated

songexe
2nd of March 2009 (Mon), 09:56
If I have controlled lighting, I'm almost always in M mode to ensure every shot is exposed the same. As for specific settings, I'm not too sure as I always just do a few test shots to figure it out (usually I'll have a aperture setting in mind for the DOF I want to achieve); it will also depend on how much power you push out of the strobes.

Rishka78
2nd of March 2009 (Mon), 14:59
Thank you! I will play with it

breathless
2nd of March 2009 (Mon), 20:08
I, too, prefer shooting in manual mode in the studio. Really, to achieve proper flash exposure without fiddling, an exposure meter is certainly necessary. But, you already know that. Set lights to desired position and try to get good exposure around f/8 or f/11 by adjusting output and/or distance of flash to subject, to achieve good depth of field. If the space has little ambient light, the short flash duration will freeze subject motion. Enjoy.